Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cracking Open the Crab Nebula

Waspie_Dwarf

Observatories Combine to Crack Open the Crab Nebula

Astronomers have produced a highly detailed image of the Crab Nebula, by combining data from telescopes spanning nearly the entire breadth of the electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves seen by the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA) to the powerful X-ray glow as seen by the orbiting Chandra X-ray Observatory. And, in between that range of wavelengths, the Hubble Space Telescope's crisp visible-light view, and the infrared perspective of the Spitzer Space Telescope.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 3

It's amazing just how beautiful these objects can be... But ironically they are the remnants of absolute total destruction...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taun said:

It's amazing just how beautiful these objects can be... But ironically they are the remnants of absolute total destruction...

No doubting that they are beautiful, but to think of them as only the remnants of destruction is to only see half the story.

Without supernovae there would be none of the heavy elements that exist in the universe, no planets, no life, no you and me. Indeed one hypothesis is that what causes most nebulae to collapse and form proto-stars and proto-planets is the shock waves from nearby supernovae. They are the ultimate recyclers, they will seed new stars.and planets. Don't think of it as destruction, think of it as the flaming end of one cycle of the phoenix, ready for a rebirth.

• Like 2

I agree.. i was just looking at it from the perspective of any beings that might have been there at the time...

• Like 1