Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The amazing armored dinosaur found in Canada

Claire.

Wouldn't we all like to be eternalized ? This specimen was preserved so well that it actually resembles a statue...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4500220/Dinosaur-fossil-preserved-looks-like-statue.html?login

• Like 8

Amazing!!

• Like 4

Something that deserves to be noted is how much this real ankylosaur resembles the ankylosaurs visualized from the fossil record. Good work, reconstructors!

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

I didn't believe my eyes when I first saw the pictures, I thought it was a joke! 

It takes a lot to wow photographer Robert Clark.

[...] 

But when he traveled to Alberta’s Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology last December and first laid eyes on his next photographic subject, he laughed.

Clark was staring at a 110 million-year-old fossil of a nodosaur, a type of plant-eating armored dinosaur. Its resting place undersea had helped fossilize the dinosaur’s armor, patches of its skin, some of its soft tissue—and what are likely remnants of the dinosaur’s last meal.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/05/nodosaur-fossil-discovery-science-photography/

• Like 3

Sorry Claire, I didn't see your thread (to think that I even checked before posting!) 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Parsec said:

Sorry Claire, I didn't see your thread (to think that I even checked before posting!) 

No need to apologize, it happens to all of us — me more so than any else!

Besides, your article is not the same and provides another and very interesting perspective. Thank you for posting it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Parsec said:

I didn't believe my eyes when I first saw the pictures, I thought it was a joke! 

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/05/nodosaur-fossil-discovery-science-photography/

I live an hour away from 

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

I might have to take a drive and check it out.  Looks like a giant bearded dragon. 

• Like 5

What happened to all its feathers ?

~ :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

What happened to all its feathers ?

~ :D

He got plucked! :lol:

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3

Some photos from Live Science. I can't get over what an amazing find this is. The dinosaur looks like some sort of mythical beast. I'm sorry we don't have anything like it around anymore.

• Like 4

On 8/3/2017 at 3:45 PM, Claire. said:

Some photos from Live Science. I can't get over what an amazing find this is. The dinosaur looks like some sort of mythical beast. I'm sorry we don't have anything like it around anymore.

Rhinos lost counter shading because they don't need it, lions, hyenas, and leopards don't mess with them as the article implies. You know the implications for having a  larger than rhino, heavily armored  herbivore around  that also thinks hiding is a good idea  hmmm?  

• Like 3

It is wonderful though.  I am sure it is only a matter of time before Ken Ham improves his ride-able models in the Kentucky Noah's Ark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Rhinos lost counter shading because they don't need it, lions, hyenas, and leopards don't mess with them as the article implies. You know the implications for having a  larger than rhino, heavily armored  herbivore around  that also thinks hiding is a good idea  hmmm?  

It is evidence that there was a large predator in the environment, probably a carcharodontosaurian similar to Acrocanthosaurus or Siats.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

It is evidence that there was a large predator in the environment, probably a carcharodontosaurian similar to Acrocanthosaurus or Siats.

Excellent, you have put a name on my fear.  Woodsman's instinct:  if you see a bear cub, get away, the mother may not be far.  If you see a large armored and camouflaged herbivore crouching in the underbrush, start looking for a carcharodontosaurian  in hunting mode.  It might be assumed that a human would make an acceptable hors d'oeuvre before tackling a nodosaur.

• Like 5

On 7/26/2017 at 4:20 PM, The Silver Thong said:

I live an hour away from 

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

I might have to take a drive and check it out.  Looks like a giant bearded dragon. 

I really, really want to go there this summer or fall.  I want to see this guy with my own eyes

• Like 3

On 04/08/2017 at 8:45 AM, Claire. said:

In these photos there is an illustration showing a living nodosaur and in the background is a dead nodosaur being eaten by 2 trex looking dinosaurs, but my dinosaur identification skills are very basic , do they know what dinosaurs hunted the nodosaur because its armour was very impressive , those horns are something else !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozfactor said:

In these photos there is an illustration showing a living nodosaur and in the background is a dead nodosaur being eaten by 2 trex looking dinosaurs, but my dinosaur identification skills are very basic , do they know what dinosaurs hunted the nodosaur because its armour was very impressive , those horns are something else !

The carnivorous dinosaurs shown eating the nodosaur are carcharodontosaurs of some type, probably based on Acrocanthosaurus. Carcharodontosaurs were the main predators in North America during the Aptian stage of the Late Cretaceous when Borealopelta lived.

• Like 4

Ninja tanks... gotta love them.

• Like 1