Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drive-Repeat-Drive on Highway ?

lrobertson

Haven't seen what happened to me on here....so here goes.

To begin, I'm not a believer in most of this. I'm a 'show-me' type of guy. And NOTHING paranormal has happened to me before.

So about a month ago I'm driving home on the highway....a route I've taken literally hundreds of times over the years. I'm about a mile from  what I know is the next exit ( Cromwell, Ct.) and I see the cars are backing up on the highway...must be an accident up ahead ( never that much traffic on this road).

I notice that the left lane is 'least' backed up so I get over to that lane and continue down toward the Cromwell exit. It's stop and go, but moving at an okay clip...and after several minutes I pass the Cromwell exit ( as I should)...and stop and go, stop and go... I continue down the highway ( going home which is about 15 miles away).

Now I've been traveling in this 'backed up' traffic for 15-20  minutes. I've passed Cromwell and should be coming up on the next exit which is Middletown ( about 4 Miles past the Cromwell exit ). There's a curve you go around and you can see the Middletown exit down a long straight-away. I come around that curve and...... see an overhead highway sign coming up. It surprises me because I don't recall a sign here. Can it be I've traveled this highway hundreds of times and never noticed it?

As I come around the curve I see what the sign says on it .....Cromwell exit ...1 Mile !!!!

To say I couldn't believe my eyes is an understatement. I'm sitting in the car flabbergasted...trying to figure out what's going on. There is NO WAY I could be coming up on the Cromwell exit...that I passed 20 minutes ago !!! It was so strange that I actually didn't believe the sign. So I obviously continued down the road to 'prove' it to myself......but there it was...the Cromwell exit...that I had passed 20 minutes ago !!!!

I passed it , AGAIN, and continued home with no further incidents.

To this day I have no idea what happened. It wasn't a matter of 'lost time'...or highway hypnotism or anything I"VE encountered before. So I welcome your explanations.

• Like 1

Before I read your final paragraph, I wanted to say that you might have been hypnotized by the road...but I agree with you that it was probably nothing of the sort.  Were you listening to music at the time, by chance?

Odd things can happen to people when they are listening to certain kinds of music.

Your story reminds me of an old music video, the name of which I wish I could remember.  I think it was a Moonspell song.  Anyway, the video is a kind of ghost story:  A couple traveling at night find they are not going anywhere -- just driving around and around, down the same road.  If you don't know the video, I won't spoil the ending for you.

On the subject of 'real life' freaky happenings as opposed to music videos and other fiction, the mystifying and unexplained happen to me daily. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lrobertson said:

Haven't seen what happened to me on here....so here goes.

To begin, I'm not a believer in most of this. I'm a 'show-me' type of guy. And NOTHING paranormal has happened to me before.

So about a month ago I'm driving home on the highway....a route I've taken literally hundreds of times over the years. I'm about a mile from  what I know is the next exit ( Cromwell, Ct.) and I see the cars are backing up on the highway...must be an accident up ahead ( never that much traffic on this road).

I notice that the left lane is 'least' backed up so I get over to that lane and continue down toward the Cromwell exit. It's stop and go, but moving at an okay clip...and after several minutes I pass the Cromwell exit ( as I should)...and stop and go, stop and go... I continue down the highway ( going home which is about 15 miles away).

Now I've been traveling in this 'backed up' traffic for 15-20  minutes. I've passed Cromwell and should be coming up on the next exit which is Middletown ( about 4 Miles past the Cromwell exit ). There's a curve you go around and you can see the Middletown exit down a long straight-away. I come around that curve and...... see an overhead highway sign coming up. It surprises me because I don't recall a sign here. Can it be I've traveled this highway hundreds of times and never noticed it?

As I come around the curve I see what the sign says on it .....Cromwell exit ...1 Mile !!!!

To say I couldn't believe my eyes is an understatement. I'm sitting in the car flabbergasted...trying to figure out what's going on. There is NO WAY I could be coming up on the Cromwell exit...that I passed 20 minutes ago !!! It was so strange that I actually didn't believe the sign. So I obviously continued down the road to 'prove' it to myself......but there it was...the Cromwell exit...that I had passed 20 minutes ago !!!!

I passed it , AGAIN, and continued home with no further incidents.

To this day I have no idea what happened. It wasn't a matter of 'lost time'...or highway hypnotism or anything I"VE encountered before. So I welcome your explanations.

Welcome, Irobertson.

It sounds like what's called a time slip.  

it is possible that this is a new exit? happens sometimes that because of changes in traffic flow or because of high accident rates that exits are rebuilt sometimes placed somewhere else for easier access to whichever town. highways rarely change much but when they do it can throw alot of people off. also the whole zoning out while on a highway thing, you could pass by something everyday and not notice it until your stuck in traffic and forced to focus.

• Like 1

also it could be memory lapse, you simply had a brain fart and truly thought you passed it the first time, but in reality you didnt. sometimes you swear an event happened differently than it did in reality, even given evidence people still deny that their memory could be that wrong.

on a related note one time i was on a highway and time actually slowed down, it was as if i was experiencing reality at a low refresh rate, like a computer screen playing a video at 30 fps instead of our normal 60 fps. i couldnt make it stop either, even the person i was driving with had an echo in their voice. musta been fatigue.