Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC - Strange Signals From Outer Space

theloniusmonk

Hi all

For those that can watch it and interested in such things, I thought it would be worth posting this Horizon documentary, currently available on iPlayer: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08r3xr3/horizon-2017-strange-signals-from-outer-space

It has a refreshingly daft ending, but there's some good science in it and is generally pretty insightful documentary.

• Like 1

Caught it last night. Could have done without the pseudo-Stranger Things production design, but it was a good doc all the same.

I'm just glad the Wow! Signal is still a contender.

• Like 3

Wish I could watch it but I'm not in the UK

• Like 1

Well considering how much documentaries are commercialized and diluted to make it palatable for the masses, I'd say the BBC Horizon series (from what I've seen) is a pretty accurate and scientifically sound documentary series. Thanks for the recommendation and I'm off to download it now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Its already on youtube if you look....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Or pick up VPN like TunnelBear?

Just watched it, and the most interesting bits were 'Intelligence is the inevitable result of evolution' and 'Dolphins are the close to us in intelligence', especially the latter as I'd no clue about that. Primates - yes, but dolphin was something I could have never imagined.

32 minutes ago, Blood_Sacrifice said:

Just watched it, and the most interesting bits were 'Intelligence is the inevitable result of evolution' and 'Dolphins are the close to us in intelligence', especially the latter as I'd no clue about that. Primates - yes, but dolphin was something I could have never imagined.

You really do have to take BBC science documentaries with a large pinch of salt. Horizon is probably among the best though. But, there has been a tendency all round to dumb it down. 

I'm not sure exactly they came to the conclusion that dolphins were the closest to us in intelligence, as there doesn't seem to be a way to accurately quantify human intelligence without some degree of cultural bias, I'm not sure how they're managing to critically compare it across species. 

Anyway, other contenders for clever species would be the dinosaurs such as the New Caledonian crow, or African grey parrot. The elephant, and some of the Cephalapods. Maybe some of them are reasonably demonstrably less sharp than others, but still they're all really bright.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

November 2007 a massive bright star was observed by the US and UK governments. The information sent from deep space was targeted for the human race. After watching the Horizon program I emailed those seen in the program to ask why they remind me of Sgt. Shults I know nothing.

Well I know it’s scary stuff but people on forums like this have the power to make those government tell the truth.

Below is a copy of my email to the said professor and one of his replay’s.

Contact has been made and Horizon strange signal from deep space is incorrect read and see why.

Hi professor Lorimer,

I just watched the repeat program of Horizon last Thursday on BBC 4. The star I saw appeared in the winter of 2007. I would have to look back at my records or ask a family member who now lives in Ireland to see what date it was.

But looking from Edinburgh, South West of the Pentland hills at 3.15am is where it was seen.

Of the top of my head I think it was November when I looked at it in the freezing cold. It lasted for about an hour then it instantly vanished. Scary stuff!

But the fact is it happened and you don’t know about, strange?

I will need to get the date it happened as I have lost contact with the person with me that night. I’m not that good with computers and I can’t recall looking for it. But if you don’t know about it then it’s dangerous to talk about it.

Sorry I should have made it clearer. It has nothing to do with what you saw. I just found it strange when watching the program that you and other’s on the show seemingly have no knowledge of that signal star in 2007.

A massive star high up in the clear frosty night sky. If your stating you no nothing about it. Then I would be asking questions to why and how it has been hidden from you. A big star a lot bigger than the North star. Aircraft floating across the bottom of its horizon and no one within your University knows about it.

That’s why I stated it’s strange because the viewers are being mislead that no contact has been made from deep space.! Well I know that isn’t true as dose those on the aircraft that night. Trust me it was hypnotic and terrifying to look via the telescope down that pipeline at what was coming from the centre of it and, the fact I was looking at a subject matter from an advanced Alien life form. It was like I could see deep in space. Now that’s mad. But you could see it was deep in space.

I try not to think about it. That is until a program like Horizon brings it back.

Yours truly,

On Monday, July 10, 2017, 8:04:32 PM GMT+1, Duncan Lorimer <D> wrote:

hi Gordon

it sounds like we're talking about two different events - one we saw in 2001 and one you saw in 2007? 

Dunc
Edited by goodtoknow

On Monday, July 10, 2017, 8:04:32 PM GMT+1, Duncan Lorimer < > wrote:

hi Gordon

it sounds like we're talking about two different events - one we saw in 2001 and one you saw in 2007? 

Dunc

Hi Goodtoknow

Hmm, I found it a bit difficult to follow some of your email to the professor. It was slightly accusatory but I couldn't work out why exactly (?)

Anyway, as many on this forum will tell you, seeing a light in the sky doesn't - frankly - mean a huge amount in the scheme of things. You obviously thought you saw some sort of 'portal' from another civilisation, but you may have just seen a random light - that could easily be explained - and your imagination did the rest.

Having said all that, it's a great story of course :P

Hi theloniusmonk,

I can understand you response however, what we saw that night wasn’t in our imagination/hallucination.

If I may I will try and explain a bit more without stepping on toes.

As I was driving south from Edinburgh city center, Scotland. We, that is two of us noticed a massive light/object that shone like a star but to big to be a star high in the night sky. We arrived at our destination and as I looked at it my brother got out his telescope to see what it was. He was first to look at it and then I looked at it and confirmed it wasn’t a star but a circular shape that looked like the shape and texture of a walnut. Believe me it was ice cold that night with a crystal clear sky and I was frozen to the bone. We wouldn’t stand looking at a star for over an hour unless it was what say it was.

As I was looking at it. The texture walnut shape started to open up in three equal parts. I had to look away because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and it was scary stuff to comprehend that Alien life form was contacting us.

My brother then look and said you have to see this. A black dot right in the middle of it. As I looked I had a strange feeling, of it was observing me looking at it. I don’t know if it was the cold or fear but I couldn’t move. Suddenly from the dot came the signals over and over.

This lasted for about 30 minutes or so and then it slowly closed in the same way it opened.

It vanished like switching of a light, gone with no trace. All I could see apart from the night sky stars and moon was the flashing red lights of the air crafts observing the object/light. Just writing about this make me feel sick.

As I said you don’t get a lot of aircraft flying over Edinburgh at that time of night if any. Also I’ve never seen so many red flashing lights in the sky at the same time.

I’ve never looked to see if there is any reports of this bright star by pilots.

Put it this way if I hadn’t watched that Horizon program. Then it still would be at the back of my mind.

Don't worry about stepping on toes goodtoknow!  Thanks for the account though, it certainly sounds intriguing. Why did the Horizon doc bring the memory back, as that was more about a distant star demonstrating unusual light changes?

Part of the program/show was about advanced Alien life forms power to send a signal in the exact same way as I seen it that night. I thought it was a bit strange for them to say this and not know about it. That was the eureka moment that I knew has happened and if they really are blind to it. Then I thought I should let them know the truth.

As for stepping on toes trust me been there got the T shirt!

What I witnessed wasn’t that big a deal because I knew the government/CIA monitored it as well. It’s what they don’t know I like.

I’m sure I would have wrote something about it at the time. But in 2007 I was using the library to send stuff out and a lot was happening back then. I put this event to the back of my mind because of other info. And as I stated when that lady professor said those words it all came back. The point is they should know it has happened and that their government has covered it up, or their part of it and simply lying.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:40 AM, goodtoknow said:

November 2007 a massive bright star was observed by the US and UK governments.

Do you have support of this?

The information sent from deep space was targeted for the human race.

What was the information?

After watching the Horizon program I emailed those seen in the program to ask why they remind me of Sgt. Shults I know nothing.

Are they in your head? You seem to think they are reading your mind.

From the description (assuming by big he meant bright - all stars are just pinpricks of light as seen from Earth, except the Sun), it appears that goodtoknow saw Sirius.  Which is the brightest star in the sky and very promiminent in the southern nightsky in November.   And does indeed appear like a round walnut when seen through an unfocused lense.  

Firstly it was a star. His telescope is a very good one and the object was clear as day. I remember we thought it was the aircraft headlight heading for Edinburgh airport. But it never moved from the same spot and was to high up. You know how big aircraft lights are at night from straight on. That’s what it looked like.

I use the word bright meaning you couldn’t miss it. Stars where like pinpricks to it. It was white and not the colour of a walnut. I use that as a description of it’s texture. If you take the biggest star in the night sky then that would be the size of marbler. This was bigger than a baseball. It open up in 3 parts. Black dot dead center.

I hope that gives you a better idea of how big it was and what it was.

1. I only know of two us on the ground. That’s what I was hoping to find out. There’s all those aircraft.

2. Your asking me to step on toes. I need to keep that part because if people say they saw it then they will know what I know.

3 No not in my head. That was a bit of Scottish humour because we contacted the observatory in Edinburgh. Response was never seen anything and if I recall there was no aircraft.

That’s why I put it to the back of my mind.

I never use these words but on this occasion I will. Trust me if I was to lie about this then my work for over twenty years would be destroyed because every thing to do with that has to be totally honest. So it happened and your government knows so. The thing is their more scared than I am!

I’m not sure but Hyundisonata may have wrote about it back then on some UFO web sites. A lot happened in 2007.

You could ask your governments for answers but I think you will know their response. I would say ask Trump but he got the whistle endorsement into office. I know the CIA held back on given him to much info for obvious reasons. However, if there is a truth test lie detector in Scotland. Then I would willingly be tested. It happened as I stated it did.

What I’m going to do is put the info on other web sites to get help in tracking this down. Then I will divulged how the info came and maybe some of those bright sparks can work it out. An Alien life from send a signal and we ignore it. God help us.

I noticed there was stuff about Mars moons and commits so that would be a good time to send info because they surely would expect humans to be looking up at the night sky. I’m sure there must be some on this site that good with computers and can find the info I’m looking for. A family member reckons it was November 20 some thing. I think it was the middle of the week probably the 28th or the week before 21st but the 28th rings a bell.

Sorry for the mistake I’m getting old and my eyesight is deteriorating, blind in one eye. I have to write this in word in big then transfer it over.

Well if it wasn't a star - or an aircraft headlight - then it was something which no-one else on Earth, let alone in southern Scotland, saw that night ;)    Which is kinda odd ...

It suddenly appeared and disappeared within 90 minutes. We where at the side of the road on a grassy path and a few cars past and the driver of one did look up at the sky to see what we were looking at. There has to be many more people out there who seen it. maybe didn't look at it like we did. But seen it.

I should have pushed this years ago but as I said I was busy doing other projects. The financial crash was going to happen and it was near the end of Bush and so on. That’s sort of my hobby.

8 hours ago, goodtoknow said:

What I’m going to do is put the info on other web sites to get help in tracking this down. Then I will divulged how the info came and maybe some of those bright sparks can work it out. An Alien life from send a signal and we ignore it. God help us.

You keep saying it was a signal, do you have any evidence of this? Do you also have any evidence the government saw it?

As clear as day for about one hour we saw the signal/info/message/communication/contact, call it whatever it was in black and white.

As I have already stated. At that time in the morning and midweek there is very little activity in the sky’s over Edinburgh/Scottish Borders. The aircraft’s in the sky that night observing it only had red flashing lights. Therefore with no commercial activity in the air I can presume it was military. It’s not that big a hidden secret US military fly over and land in Scotland. That area is a hot spot for them.