Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has evidence of the multiverse been found ?

UM-Bot

Read the linked Guardian article. The proposition that the 'cold spot' is the mark of a collision with another universe in the multiverse will apparently be testable, at some point. It seems natural that, if there is a multiverse, such collisions would have occurred, and left their marks. Perhaps the 'cold spot' is merely the most conspicuous of these. 

The lament that confirming the existence of the multiverse would not answer the question: why is our universe the way it is, strikes me as odd. Given an essentially infinite number of universes, it seems quite reasonable that ay least one of them would, by chance, happen to contain all the conditions we find in our universe, which are required for our existence. One might just as well want to know why a thrown die landed on six, instead of three.

The really interesting problem would occur if it could be determined that the multiverse does not exist. We would then have to explain how an almost infinitely improbable collection of natural laws, forces, and constants necessary for our existence happened to occur, with only once chance, one universe, in which to do so.    

• Like 6

That wouldn't be much of a Big Bang now would it ?

~

• Like 1

Maybe a collision of more than two multiverses was the big bang.  If we are able to send a probe out, hopefully it won't come back as V'ger.

• Like 5

Interesting.

But, like we don't have enough on our plate just in our own universe to explore, for eons to come?

3 hours ago, bison said:

The really interesting problem would occur if it could be determined that the multiverse does not exist. We would then have to explain how an almost infinitely improbable collection of natural laws, forces, and constants necessary for our existence happened to occur, with only once chance, one universe, in which to do so.    

I guess that this universe and all life in it, has evolved around the natrual laws of this universe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I guess that this universe and all life in it, has evolved around the natrual laws of this universe

Yes, life adapts itself to prevailing conditions, within limits. The natural laws, forces and constants to which I was referring are those which are necessary to produce the conditions required for complex life. For example-- A variation in one of these factors could prevent the existence of stars that live long enough for intelligent life to reasonably evolve.  

8 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Maybe a collision of more than two multiverses was the big bang.  If we are able to send a probe out, hopefully it won't come back as V'ger.

But then, what was before these two multiverses ?

• Like 1

That's the question I always come back to  also. What came first and what's started it all? And where did the stuff that started it come from? 

• Like 1

I would suppose that a multiverse has neither beginning, nor end. It would simply be an endless cycle. Something cannot begin unless it is bound by time, which is a human creation. The egg can only become the chicken after the chicken has laid it... ad infinitum.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, paperdyer said:

A probe would be good.

If it is a nexus of sorts ... then we wouldn't be able to get it back I think.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 4:43 PM, Presearcher said:

I would suppose that a multiverse has neither beginning, nor end. It would simply be an endless cycle. Something cannot begin unless it is bound by time, which is a human creation. The egg can only become the chicken after the chicken has laid it... ad infinitum.

Yes, why not. Sort of like a looping time crystal folding in on itself and never going anywhere, all at once.

• Like 2

If the current observable universe is 3 something billion years, and the un-observable assume to be infinite, then why does multiverse matters?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 8:01 PM, jarjarbinks said:

But then, what was before these two multiverses ?

An infinite multiversal ocean of space. 

• Like 1

Can someone explain or provide a link of how cmb was measured because I can't figure out how they measured cmb at different distances.