Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Captain Risky

Liberal Democrats promise new Brexit vote

50 posts in this topic

Pro-EU Liberal Democrats promise new Brexit vote

London (AFP) - Britain's centrist Liberal Democrats launched their party manifesto on Wednesday with a promise to hold a Brexit referendum, as they seek to win pro-EU votes in next month's national election.

"And if the deal that (Prime Minister) Theresa May comes back with is not good enough for you and your family, you should have the right to reject it and to vote to remain," he added.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/35544435/pro-eu-liberal-democrats-promise-new-brexit-vote/#page1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see their point... I read an article where Blair points out that brexit at any cost is not logical. The terms of brexit need to stack up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I can see their point... I read an article where Blair points out that brexit at any cost is not logical. The terms of brexit need to stack up. 

So Tony has officially joined the Lid Dems, has he? I'm sure Jezzer Corbyn will be delighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

"And if the deal that (Prime Minister) Theresa May comes back with is not good enough for you and your family, you should have the right to reject it and to vote to remain," he added.

How pompous does he sound? He sounds like Winston Churchill talking about Chamberlain coming back from Munich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

So Tony has officially joined the Lid Dems, has he? I'm sure Jezzer Corbyn will be delighted.

...no i think i touched upon this in an earlier thread. 48% is a sizeable voter base that will eventually be exploited by the political establishment. Demographically, it will only get bigger and now with the uncertainty of brexit the pro-EU vote will just get bigger. Tony Blair and others will find a voice in all this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

How pompous does he sound? He sounds like Winston Churchill talking about Chamberlain coming back from Munich.

What exactly do you find pompous in Blair wanting to see the terms of brexit before Britain commits itself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

What exactly do you find pompous in Blair wanting to see the terms of brexit before Britain commits itself?

I meant the lid dem feller, but do you really need to even ask what's pompous about Bliar believing that he can worm his way back into the affections of the public by presenting himself as the moderate choice? 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Hasn't this already been voted on?  What is it with the left not being capable of getting on with their lives when the reality that not everyone shares their view smacks them over the head?

It's a common characteristic. "If it didn't go our way we're going to insist they do it again until you get it right."

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I meant the lid dem feller, but do you really need to even ask what's pompous about Bliar believing that he can worm his way back into the affections of the public by presenting himself as the moderate choice? 

You're automatically assuming that being pro-EU makes someone pompous. Which is unfair. If anything, finalising brexit without seeing or discussing the terms would in my mind seem more pompous. Its up to May to get a good deal. A bad deal shouldn't just be accepted by the public. May has a responsibility to do the right thing for the country. Not for Nigel Farage. If Nigels vision of Brexit does add up to reality then thats Nigels problem. 

If Blair believes passionately about brexit than i don't see a problem in him making a political comeback. I doubt that his old Labour comrades will reserve a place for him thou. Maybe he doesn't want to. Maybe he just see's an opportunity to give others a voice that he shares also. Doesn't make him bad.

Edited by Captain Risky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Hasn't this already been voted on?  What is it with the left not being capable of getting on with their lives when the reality that not everyone shares their view smacks them over the head?

So if you put your house on the market to sell and you didn't get an acceptable offer, does that mean that you just sell cause the real estate agent thinks you should?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You're automatically assuming that being pro-EU makes someone pompous. 

Oh come on, you're putting words in my mouth. 

Quote

If Blair believes passionately about brexit than i don't see a problem in him making a political comeback.

If you've no concern for justice, perhaps. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lib Dems always good for a laugh, and that's why they'll never been in power this side of the next millennium.

And as for Toxic Tony Bliar, please, please, I implore him to make a political comeback leading a Remain movement. 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

So if you put your house on the market to sell and you didn't get an acceptable offer, does that mean that you just sell cause the real estate agent thinks you should?

That is a ridiculous parallel to draw.  These situations are not even comparable.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

So if you put your house on the market to sell and you didn't get an acceptable offer, does that mean that you just sell cause the real estate agent thinks you should?

If there are 3 people in that house and 2 of them are saying take the best offer they get then yes.

The house is in a rubbish local authority who are bringing in mandatory door unlocking so the homeless can utilise your spare bedroom, and your local council tax is one of highest in the country, they prescribe the type and amounts of flowers you can plant in the garden and have a rule of 1inch grass length, oh and the local magistrates will fine you £1000 if you don't invite in the jehovas witnesses for a chat when they call every Thursday.

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

If Blair believes passionately about brexit than i don't see a problem in him making a political comeback. I doubt that his old Labour comrades will reserve a place for him thou. Maybe he doesn't want to. Maybe he just see's an opportunity to give others a voice that he shares also. Doesn't make him bad.

No, it doesn't. It's all the other **** he got up to that does that. There's no way back for that sick little puppy, and if he thinks that there is then he's further of his chump than even I, an 'Old' Labour remain voter, thought he was. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldrover said:

 

No, it doesn't. It's all the other **** he got up to that does that. There's no way back for that sick little puppy, and if he thinks that there is then he's further of his chump than even I, an 'Old' Labour remain voter, thought he was. 

No doubt about it, Blair did get up to alot of chit especially with following Bush around for GW2. The point is that in this instance i think that Blair actually has a chance to redeem with self with leading a level headed defence of the remainers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Grey Area said:

If there are 3 people in that house and 2 of them are saying take the best offer they get then yes.

The house is in a rubbish local authority who are bringing in mandatory door unlocking so the homeless can utilise your spare bedroom, and your local council tax is one of highest in the country, they prescribe the type and amounts of flowers you can plant in the garden and have a rule of 1inch grass length, oh and the local magistrates will fine you £1000 if you don't invite in the jehovas witnesses for a chat when they call every Thursday.

 

I think you have missed the point. Voting to leave shouldn't mean not looking at the fine print and re-evauating your choices. People are perfectly free to change there minds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OverSword said:

That is a ridiculous parallel to draw.  These situations are not even comparable.

I beg to differ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think you have missed the point. Voting to leave shouldn't mean not looking at the fine print and re-evauating your choices. People are perfectly free to change there minds. 

I think you are completely missing the point.  You cant run a viable political system where decisions are based on a majority vote and introduce a system of second guessing.  It's silliness, we will start having referendums on whether referendums should be held. 

Sorry, but a decision was made and it needs to stand.  If people have changed their mind, they should have ensured they were making the right choice at the time.  It's a valuable lesson to all, particularly to those millennials that scale the central divide and teeter over to the left.  Choices have consequences, and in a very profound way, inaction has consequences. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Risky, you are a man of the world. You really know how the people of other Countries should be thinking. :huh:

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I think you have missed the point. Voting to leave shouldn't mean not looking at the fine print and re-evauating your choices. People are perfectly free to change there minds. 

So... which term in the negotiated deal should we be having a referendum on? What if you like one of the clauses but not another? What if the EU don't want to do a deal at all, would you still want a referendum?

Do you stop and think that if the EU knew that a second referendum was enacted in the terms of "accept the deal or stay in the EU" that they would do anything other than other the most mediocre terms and make the UK suffer as a member.

Where is your pride in this Country- is it really your desire to become a mere supplicant at the EU Table begging for scraps???

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Grey Area said:

If there are 3 people in that house and 2 of them are saying take the best offer they get then yes.

The house is in a rubbish local authority who are bringing in mandatory door unlocking so the homeless can utilise your spare bedroom, and your local council tax is one of highest in the country, they prescribe the type and amounts of flowers you can plant in the garden and have a rule of 1inch grass length, oh and the local magistrates will fine you £1000 if you don't invite in the jehovas witnesses for a chat when they call every Thursday.

 

Ah I see, it's a metaphor or Analogy. I was thinking "sounds like quite a nice neighbourhood to live in". 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, keithisco said:

So... which term in the negotiated deal should we be having a referendum on? What if you like one of the clauses but not another? What if the EU don't want to do a deal at all, would you still want a referendum?

Do you stop and think that if the EU knew that a second referendum was enacted in the terms of "accept the deal or stay in the EU" that they would do anything other than other the most mediocre terms and make the UK suffer as a member.

Where is your pride in this Country- is it really your desire to become a mere supplicant at the EU Table begging for scraps???

he's from the Colonies, mate (strewth!). Which is why he's so anxious that the UK makes the right decision, because he's so passionate about the Old Country, isn't that right, Risky?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

he's from the Colonies, mate (strewth!). Which is why he's so anxious that the UK makes the right decision, because he's so passionate about the Old Country, isn't that right, Risky?

aahhh...yes. I keep forgetting that Count von Dreidecker. Wonder if he's a "boomerang Pom"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.