Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chris Cornell: singer dies aged 52

LV-426

Simply...wow. Early indication is that it was suicide.

1st Soundgarden album I bought was Badmotorfinger. Fell in love with it instantly. His voice was so powerful. 

Song was written about Andrew Wood, but now fits himself...

• Like 7

Sad.  His music was a big part of the 1990's rock scene and I played his band's CDs a lot.   He was not perfect but this is very tragic.   I mostly feel sorry for his kids - they definitely do not deserve this.

• Like 7

Rest in Peace, Chris.

He was gifted with a great voice.  His music has provided me much listening pleasure.  Sadder than his many fans is his family. 

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg2.timeinc.net%2Fpeople%2Fi%2F2008%2Fcbb%2Fblog%2F081229%2F12-24%2Fchris_cornell300.jpg&sp=bbcb75c4e8c532b035eca41259bfcadd

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F66%2Fe2%2Fd4%2F66e2d4bbea0f1665477bff3751819df9.jpg&sp=39c729de572a14a926fed58aae836fad

A song from his last album:

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 6

I just saw more of this story on my local news. Apparently suicide is the cause of his death. He was found with a band around his neck in the bathroom of the MGM Grand Hotel shortly after finishing the show here in Detroit. It was speculated on the news that there were some signs of his mental state during the show as the song they closed with was Led Zeppelin's " In my time of dying." Very, very sad.

• Like 7

RIP. Favorite male singer of all time and I enjoy playing his music a lot. Easy to play and sounds incredible, a real crowd pleaser. 

• Like 4

Damn this sucks!...one of my all time faves...

Hell last year Scott from STP now this...

R.I.P. Chris

• Like 6

Pearls and swine bereft of me
Long and weary my road has been
I was lost in the cities
Alone in the hills
No sorrow or pity for leaving I feel

-Chris Cornell

I hope he found the peace he was looking for.

• Like 4

First song I heard from Soundgarden in the 90's and I was hooked.   

• Like 5

For some odd reason a couple weeks ago I was playing Like A Stone a whole bunch on YouTube for about a week. I don't listen to Audioslave or Soundgarden a whole lot though I have always liked them a lot especially Soundgarden. Anyways just crazy that he's touring and playing a show and tweeting enthusiastically about playing Detroit last night then goes and does this soon as the shows over. Crazy. Must be a real mind bender to all those who seen him last night. He might've been dead before some of the crowd even made it home. Again, crazy. There's not much left of the 90's grunge front men. All the big pioneers are gone except Eddie Veder.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

For some odd reason a couple weeks ago I was playing Like A Stone a whole bunch on YouTube for about a week. I don't listen to Audioslave or Soundgarden a whole lot though I have always liked them a lot especially Soundgarden. Anyways just crazy that he's touring and playing a show and tweeting enthusiastically about playing Detroit last night then goes and does this soon as the shows over. Crazy. Must be a real mind bender to all those who seen him last night. He might've been dead before some of the crowd even made it home. Again, crazy. There's not much left of the 90's grunge front men. All the big pioneers are gone except Eddie Veder.

I've got several Soundgarden songs on my workout playlist,listen to them almost daily to this very day lol

I somehow always get the Nirvana nerds wound up by telling them the 90's grunge scene had 2 better bands in the same vicinity during the height of Nirvana's fame (Soundgarden and Alice in Chains)

Hell now all 3 are really gone...I did like Alice in Chains '13 album though,it still fit their style...well some of the songs did anyway ;)

• Like 5

I'm pretty heartbroken... I am Seattle born and raised and I'm the same age (ok I'm 50) and spent my youth in clubs watching Soundgarden, AIC, Mother Love Bone etc... Most of downtown Seattle went dark tonight in remembrance. . :-(

• Like 4

I always have mixed feelings with suicides.

On the one hand, you ask how the hell someone can do this to their family and kids?

On the other hand, how desperately unhappy does someone have to be to do this to themselves? Especially when he must have had a pretty comfortable standard of living

Truly tragic on every level.

I saw Soundgarden live on the Superunknown tour back in the 90's. Chris Cornell absolutely had one of the most powerful and distinctive voices in rock.

It's the little things for me though. Grunge was such a part of my youth, and it's a reminder of good times and bad times, and friends, some of whom aren't here any more.

• Like 3

what's left to be said that has not been said ... ?

RiP Ol' Chris ...

~

• Like 5

15 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

I somehow always get the Nirvana nerds wound up by telling them the 90's grunge scene had 2 better bands in the same vicinity during the height of Nirvana's fame (Soundgarden and Alice in Chains)

Yea man I've always felt the same way.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I always have mixed feelings with suicides.

On the one hand, you ask how the hell someone can do this to their family and kids?

On the other hand, how desperately unhappy does someone have to be to do this to themselves? Especially when he must have had a pretty comfortable standard of living

Truly tragic on every level.

I saw Soundgarden live on the Superunknown tour back in the 90's. Chris Cornell absolutely had one of the most powerful and distinctive voices in rock.

It's the little things for me though. Grunge was such a part of my youth, and it's a reminder of good times and bad times, and friends, some of whom aren't here any more.

I liked your song selection and plan to review Chris' most soulful songs.

RE: suicide -

That's too often the demise of members of bands, whom habitually mix alcohol with pills/drugs

(struggle with addiction), live on the road and, consequently, have familial woes.

• Like 2

That sucks. 

I just fell on black days.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

That's one of my favorite songs, ChaosRose.

Latest news:

The results of a toxicology report are being awaited by Chris' family as they suspect the prescription drug

Ativan may have caused Chris "paranoid or suicidal thoughts and slurred speech[...]  Ativan is a tranquilizer

and anti-anxiety medication that is sometimes used as a sleeping aid[...]

Cornell was a recovering addict and had allegedly been sober since 2002. His wife, Vicky, said in an

emotional statement, 'Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart

that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband [...]

I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life [...]'

'When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different,' his wife added.

'When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him'.”

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornells-family-prescription-drugs-may-have-influenced-suicide-1202436611/

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

What the hell kind of drug can do that? It's crazy. I can see something quick and spur of the moment like shooting yourself or slitting wrists but to take the time and effort to hang yourself? It's unimaginable.

Edited by F3SS

59 minutes ago, F3SS said:

What the hell kind of drug can do that? It's crazy. I can see something quick and spur of the moment like shooting yourself or slitting wrists but to take the time and effort to hang yourself? It's unimaginable.

He had taken two Ativan. Ativan can have some horrific side-effects one of which is suicidal thoughts and actions. Ativan is in the same class of drugs as Valium.

He was taking it for anxiety.

• Like 1

This song makes me drive my car very fast! LOL It's my favorite Soundgarden. LOL

AND, this is a clip from the last time I saw Chris play. He played solo with Tom Morello (who later this night had a dustup with local ***hat restaurant owner, Dave Meinert, that made national news) But this was an AWESOME show in a VERY small club. If you go all the way to the end, "This Land is My Land" is great. hahaha.

And trivia time... until earlier this year... the only official show Temple of the Dog played, was on the same stage in the same club as the video below. This club used to be called the Off Ramp in the "grungy" era. Its' El Corazon now. Ive seen hundreds of acts on that stage... I bet Oversword has seen even more.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MissMelsWell said:

This song makes me drive my car very fast! LOL It's my favorite Soundgarden. LOL

Impeccable taste as always MissMelsWell :tu:

This was the song that introduced me to Soundgarden. I still have the 12" vinyl promo somewhere.

I hadn't read the part about Ativan factoring into his death until now. That's a real shame if that was the primary cause behind his apparent suicide. It's a shame regardless of what led him to do it, but all the more so if a drug like Ativan triggered him to take his own life.

When I first heard he died I didn't even react to it because I just assumed it must be a false report. Then I read how he died and it felt all the more surreal. Superunknown was the last album I was just listening to in my car the day before. It still feels weird thinking of him in terms of death. (I was also a 90s kid - mainly my teenage years).

Sad to see him go...

• Like 1