Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man tries to kiss rattlesnake; gets bitten

Still Waters

A Putnam County man was trying to kiss a rattlesnake when it bit him on the tongue, neighbors told Action News Jax.

Ron Reinold was flown to the hospital by helicopter in critical condition after he was bit by the rattlesnake on Tuesday.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/florida-man-bitten-on-tongue-by-rattlesnake-in-putnam-county/523267313

• Like 8

how utterly natural...

• Like 7

I live in Jax. I don't know this man but I can tell you with almost 100% confidence this man drinks budweisers except for when he's broke he'll get natty ice (aka river water). He has a tattoo somewhere, probably on his shoulder and he smokes garbage cigs like imperials or whatever. He also has a ton of old shirts with cut off sleeves. Oh and he for sure has a confederate flag or two somewhere. Anytime something comes up on the news I know exactly the type of person who was involved. Moncrief road in jax for example is the worst. That's where you go if you want some 13 year old kid to shoot you because he can.

I'm like almost positive alcohol was involved. Honestly the guy may be good with animals, it's just when youre hammered you lose your inhibitions so he pulled the famous, "watch this" thing.

Jax is an odd city. Suicide rates are very high, I believe we rank top 10 in the country (everyone around here has a friend who's killed themselves) but regarding that stat I think it may be related to the fact that the city is physically the largest in the country.

Regarding FL in general. The rumours are true. And I won't lie they apply to me as well at times. But hey, as Walsh would say they call me crazy but I have a good time.

EDIT: One other thing I've noticed about my area is a (somewhat) dramatic shift in the bugs. Every year I would get giant banana spiders in my backyard, they'd be as big as your hand or bigger and their webs are a sight to see. They will completely block a walkway and the webs themselves are very strong and have a bit of weight to them, almost like silly string. I once walked directly into one, the web wrapped around my face and yes the spider was huge and on my face I assume. I immediately freaked out. Anyway, it's been probably over a decade since I've seen those guys.

Also the lizards are different. We used to have solely green lizards but now most of them are brown, some with ridges on their backs like dinosaurs. I've heard they came over from Cuba but I dunno if that's true.

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Taun said:

I don't want to seem to be making light of this idiots guys condition... But sometimes stupidity get rewarded really quickly...

Lol, ironic.

• Like 2

What did he think was going to happen?? Hope he learns his lesson.

• Like 3

French kissing a rattler is down right stupid. He came real close to getting a Darwin Award. Maybe they will give him  an honorary one. LOL. Wonder if he is married and has kids.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, strunk64 said:

French kissing a rattler is down right stupid. He came real close to getting a Darwin Award. Maybe they will give him  an honorary one. LOL. Wonder if he is married and has kids.

Somewhat unusual but predictable male testosterone behavior.  Cobras are shy animals who eat other snakes (and hence to my mind appropriate as a food item since these other snakes do the environment more good than do cobras).  Still, if trapped, like other animals, it will use its resources to protect itself -- and a cobra bite is not desirable.  Still, they organize these hunts and have a gay old time teasing the thing and trying to get it to strike and so on -- I guess to somehow prove to others but more likely to themselves how brave and masculine they are.

The girls stand around and giggle, so I can't say they are innocent.  I can't eat the local cobra because it is so heavily spiced I just burn up, but I have had cobra other places and it is true -- it does taste like chicken.  I'm not aware of anyone getting seriously hurt on these hunts, so I guess they know what they are doing.  I will say I can't imagine someone trying to kiss one -- that does qualify as stupid.

• Like 4

Judging by what Internetperson said Jax USA is a bit of a dive. Also the person genuinely has my sympathy too. Some places in the UK can be really bad. I'm 52 now and with decades of life experience behind me. When I was a teenager though things were different, and quite worrying too for my young mind. Particularly when the female of the species was interested in mating with me. It was a bit like the dog but with longer and sharper claws. I watched a fight on a pub floor once. Teeth, spitting, swearing, hair all stuck up like an inverted toilet brush, scent glands the lot. During it I was the idiot who put his foot between the two women. Afterwards the two battling brunettes sat at the bar licking the blood off their armory and then chewing their arms. Trust me what Internetperson said brought back a lot of bad memories. As long as the bloke with the beard doesn't kiss a real rattlesnake he'll be fine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Somewhat unusual but predictable male testosterone behavior.  Cobras are shy animals who eat other snakes (and hence to my mind appropriate as a food item since these other snakes do the environment more good than do cobras).  Still, if trapped, like other animals, it will use its resources to protect itself -- and a cobra bite is not desirable.  Still, they organize these hunts and have a gay old time teasing the thing and trying to get it to strike and so on -- I guess to somehow prove to others but more likely to themselves how brave and masculine they are.

The girls stand around and giggle, so I can't say they are innocent.  I can't eat the local cobra because it is so heavily spiced I just burn up, but I have had cobra other places and it is true -- it does taste like chicken.  I'm not aware of anyone getting seriously hurt on these hunts, so I guess they know what they are doing.  I will say I can't imagine someone trying to kiss one -- that does qualify as stupid.

Rattlesnakes are extremely fast in striking and apparently have no sense of humor ...Though they tend to try to avoid striking non-prey (i.e. humans) they are the leading species for snake bites in North America... Something I found interesting on the data sheet for rattlers... From 7,000 to 8,000 people are bitten by rattlers (in the US) each year - with about 5 deaths on average... 72% of all victims are males "Often young and intoxicated"... Which probably explains this guy...

There are some churches (in more rural areas) that perform "snake handling" during their services... Rattlers are the preferred species - (believe me NO ONE wants to handle a Water Moccasin - the second most common venomous snake in the US)... I have no idea why these people feel the urge to handle and dance around with rattlers... It is my opinion that God (any god for that matter) might be inclined to protect worshipers in normal day to day activities... but doing stupid stuff might make it too tempting for the deity of your choice to say "To heck with this!"...

• Like 4

Luckily Rattler anti venom is widely available nowadays ... just five years ago ... a full on rattler bite is a death warrant guarantee ...

~

• Like 2

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Like 3

Regardless of the antivenom, he may be in for a long ordeal as rattlesnake bites often cause necrosis. Medicine has certainly sustained the gene pool, however questionable.

• Like 4

talk about a kiss of death eh ?

~

• Like 2

I work a few times a year out on locations where we need snake handlers to help both us and the snakes when we encounter them.

Our last location, out at Disney Ranch, we came across three good old fellers/gals and our wrangler had to work for about 30 minutes each time, forcing them out of their dens so they could be relocated.  Even with prodding, digging, grabbing with the claw and pouring water in one end of their dens... I've never seen a single attempted strike while they've been appredended.  These snakes generally want to avoid folks and don't want to deal with anything non-prey.  They seem downright reticent to bite, perhaps the venom is precious... and simply try to get away and be left alone.  Add to that, they usually never stray far from their hatching zone as to move far from a known source of water is almost a guaranteed death sentence, so the rattle generally means... hey leave me the hell alone and I'll leave you alone...

Talking with one of the wranglers, he said the average bite treatment In America is about $200,000 if you require a helicopter lift...

Vials of anti-venom can range in price from 2,000-20,000 a unit and a bite can require 3-10 units to successfully treat.

So yea, healthcare will save your life, if they can here in America... but they will take your house and your life savings, cuz profits/free market yay...

• Like 5

Maybe this guy is a relative of Bullwinkle - "Hey Rocky, watch me French kiss a rattlesnake. Ouch! No doubt about it, I have to get medical help!" "Hey Rocky, will you suck the venom out for me?"

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cyclopes500 said:

Judging by what Internetperson said Jax USA is a bit of a dive.

Not really, though I see why you'd say that. Like any other city it depends where you go. If you came here as a tourist you'd probably like it. As a tourist you would have zero reason to be in the rural or ghetto areas. I love this city.

As a side note this incident didn't happen in jax but things like that do happen here and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. 

Oh and I just watched the video/report and did I not call that? Very first person they interviewed had a cut off sleeve shirt. And sure enough the guy who got bit had tattoos. I'm just sayin.

• Like 2