Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our brains prefer invented visual information

Claire.

Our brains prefer invented visual information to the real thing

Seeing shouldn’t always be believing. We all have blind spots in our vision, but we don’t notice them because our brains fill the gaps with made-up information. Now subtle tests show that we trust this “fake vision” more than the real thing.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 4

I've done that blind-spot thing, using a dot on a piece of paper, and it's mind-blowing!

(Although, to be honest, my mind was probably pre-blown :w00t:)

• Like 3

As I suspected, the article is very bad 'science' and doesn't tell us anything factual ...... just wild surmising! Firstly, the title refers to the brain 'preferring' ..... something which it is unable to do. Then, stating the 'blind spot' in our field of vision, Cristoph Teufel from Cardiff University says "If the brain works like this in other ways ......  perception is not providing us with a true representation of the world". Way to pick up the ball and run like mad, blindly, off over the horizon, Mr. Teufel, except ....... oh dear! you actually forgot to pick up the ball!

Ehinger's 'test' is flawed from start to finish. He doesn't even tell us how many people were involved in the test.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acute said:

I've done that blind-spot thing, using a dot on a piece of paper, and it's mind-blowing!

(Although, to be honest, my mind was probably pre-blown :w00t:)

I grew up in the 70's.  What's your reason?  :w00t:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, and then said:

I grew up in the 70's.  What's your reason?  :w00t:

My mind is continuously re-blown! :D