Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Raining fish' mystery at elementary school

Still Waters

A very unusual incident this week left students and staff at an Oroville elementary school bewildered; they say that Tuesday, it "rained fish".

There are plenty of witnesses to the aftermath ... but no one has actually claimed to have seen the fish falling from the sky onto Stanford Avenue Elementary.

"We came out here and all the sudden the kids start yelling really loud, 'look at this'," said Campus Supervisor Liz Barber-Gabriel.

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/story/35466772/its-raining-fish-at-an-elementary-school-in-oroville

• Like 4

I have read about this before  and tornadoes do happen around those parts: 

Yes. Although rare, there are numerous instances of fish falling down from the skies. Of course, the fish do not really "rain" in the sense of condensing out of water vapor. The fish that fall from the sky are just fish that used to be in the sea. So what puts the fish up in the sky in the first place? Although few detailed scientific observations have been performed on this phenomenon, the common consensus is that tornadoes are the culprit.

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisinganswers.org/2013/04/30/can-it-rain-fish/

• Like 4

I saw it rain frogs when I was little. Well, mostly tadpoles, but some had started to grow legs. They were small. It was in Virginia and it was a hell of a thunderstorm. I guess the weather does strange things sometimes.

(edit) We were driving in the mountains when it happened. They were plopping on the windshield.

Edited by strunk64
Left something out
  • Like 3

Yet I cant even seem to catch ONE  for my dinner !      :( 

• Like 1

There's a Fortean Society website dedicated to these sorts of anomalies.

• Like 1

Like this one in Sydney a little while ago ...... welcome to the famous  Bondi Beach , where the golden sands .....   what the hell ! 

Surf nerf .

It happens up there from time to time..

" In addition to rocks falling from Chico's skies, on Sept 2, 1878, the New York Times said the Chico Record had reported that a great number of small fishes fell from a cloudless sky, covering a store and several acres."

-New York Times

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody saw this happening. Does the school not have any windows?

On 5/20/2017 at 7:15 PM, strunk64 said:

I saw it rain frogs when I was little. Well, mostly tadpoles, but some had started to grow legs. They were small. It was in Virginia and it was a hell of a thunderstorm. I guess the weather does strange things sometimes.

(edit) We were driving in the mountains when it happened. They were plopping on the windshield.

I was about 6 when I was playing the rain. I saw lots of little toads and some tadpoles come down and hit the grass from what looked like a cloud closer to the ground. I ran in to tell my dad, because I never heard about things like that. Is that where raining cats and dogs came from? Wow, I thought it might be literally true with dogs and cats! 

My father came out and explained it as a whirlwind going on a nearby swamp and dropping them here. He told me tornados did it with large objects but there were also smaller whirlwinds that could do it in times of stormy weather. He said, no he never heard of real cats and dogs though.  He also told me I shouldn't play outside in the bad weather because of lightning LOL. 

Weather does some crazy stuff. 

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 2