Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday vault flooded by melting permafrost

UM-Bot

Have I read this right? this was built in "2008"....surely they mean 1708?

How the heck could this make mistakes like this in 2008.....have they learnt nothing about nature from the history books and the  number of humans death because of nature because of little knowledge or as in this case: (I thought thinking was a key part in any plan!)

"It was not in our plans to think"

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/307807/doomsday-vault-flooded-by-melting-permafrost

• Like 3

I guess the planners never watched Al Gore's first movie. In which case they would have known the plant should be about 5 degrees warmer and the sea levels feet higher right now.

• Like 2

Irony. Have I got that right?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Not much of a Doomsday Vault is it?....

Actually...as a doomsday vault, i think it would be perfect. Lock yourself in that vault and it would be your doomsday.:blink:

• Like 5

All that money and time and nobody planned for this possibility. :unsure:

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, The Russian Hare said:

All that money and time and nobody planned for this possibility. :unsure:

To plan requires thinking and  this is where it all went wrong:

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

• Like 3

On the brightside, if the temperature outside the vault is that warm, they can probably install some solar powered pumps to keep the water out  :tu:

Edited by EBE Hybrid
  • Like 2

awkward....

• Like 1

They better get busy building another. Do know how many China has now built in case of nuke war?  So they can take over and rule. America doesn't  even bother any more like they did  in the 50`s. I guess no one wants to survive the desolation of a nuke war.  

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

“Flooding is probably not quite the right word to use in this case,” says Cary Fowler, who helped create the seed vault. “In my experience, there’s been water intrusion at the front of the tunnel every single year.”

Fowler wasn't at the seed vault this year when the flooding (or 'flooding') in question took place, but has extensive knowledge of the project and facilities. He explains that a 100 meter long tunnel leads into the heart of the mountain where the seed vault is stored, running at a slight downward slope. At the base of the slope are two pumping stations to remove any water that might get in. Then there's a slight uphill section before you reach the doors to the vault itself, where the seeds are kept at 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit or -18 Celsius.

“The tunnel was never meant to be water tight at the front, because we didn’t think we would need that,” Fowler says. “What happens is, in the summer the permafrost melts, and some water comes in, and when it comes in, it freezes. It doesn’t typically go very far.”

http://www.popsci.com/seed-vault-flooding

• Like 3

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

They better get busy building another. Do know how many China has now built in case of nuke war?  So they can take over and rule. America doesn't  even bother any more like they did  in the 50`s. I guess no one wants to survive the desolation of a nuke war.  

Are Norway planning to start a nuclear war ? 

I allways thought there was something sinister about them. :wacko:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

“Flooding is probably not quite the right word to use in this case,” says Cary Fowler, who helped create the seed vault. “In my experience, there’s been water intrusion at the front of the tunnel every single year.”

Fowler wasn't at the seed vault this year when the flooding (or 'flooding') in question took place, but has extensive knowledge of the project and facilities. He explains that a 100 meter long tunnel leads into the heart of the mountain where the seed vault is stored, running at a slight downward slope. At the base of the slope are two pumping stations to remove any water that might get in. Then there's a slight uphill section before you reach the doors to the vault itself, where the seeds are kept at 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit or -18 Celsius.

“The tunnel was never meant to be water tight at the front, because we didn’t think we would need that,” Fowler says. “What happens is, in the summer the permafrost melts, and some water comes in, and when it comes in, it freezes. It doesn’t typically go very far.”

http://www.popsci.com/seed-vault-flooding

So basically the vault worked as intended. 

• Like 2

We have talked (in the little community I now live in) about what would happen if some horrible disaster destroyed the existing civilization -- say a war or a pandemic.  

Odds are we would escape since we are so remote, but then what?  This is agricultural land given to raising rice and marigolds and yielding field mice and an occasional cobra and lots of grasshoppers for food (during the bad years the people -- those who survived -- lived off these and a few tubers (potato and cassava).

I don't know what I would do.  I suppose pitch in and do what I could (not much), and I would hope I would have died by then, but I guess mankind would go on.

• Like 1

TBH I always had difficulty believing in the Doomsday Vault's helpfulness in case of a true, devastating disaster that would make it necessary. 

I mean I probably should read into planned projections for its use more than I have, but how helpful would a difficult to reach building full of seeds really be in a scenario that destroys all food sources on Earth? If the climate was so devastated or the land so irradiated that all crops were destroyed on a global level...then in my limited understanding of the situation, a vault full of seeds in the Arctic would not save anybody. Some people who are able to reach it would delay their deaths for as long as they can turn the seeds into flour and then...extinction.

To me it was always more a symbol than something that would have any actual, practical use in a disaster scenario (because any disaster that would make it necessary, would also likely render it useless)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

TBH I always had difficulty believing in the Doomsday Vault's helpfulness in case of a true, devastating disaster that would make it necessary. 

I mean I probably should read into planned projections for its use more than I have, but how helpful would a difficult to reach building full of seeds really be in a scenario that destroys all food sources on Earth? If the climate was so devastated or the land so irradiated that all crops were destroyed on a global level...then in my limited understanding of the situation, a vault full of seeds in the Arctic would not save anybody. Some people who are able to reach it would delay their deaths for as long as they can turn the seeds into flour and then...extinction.

To me it was always more a symbol than something that would have any actual, practical use in a disaster scenario (because any disaster that would make it necessary, would also likely render it useless)

The people who would be around to restart everything would more than likely have bunkers of some kind and enough stored food to get them through until new crops grow from the seeds. Probably be quite a few non irradiated places if only one or two major continents took the brunt of a nuclear war. If it was a meteor, or something global though, then we're all screwed anyway, so it probably wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Edited by WoIverine

10 hours ago, WoIverine said:

The people who would be around to restart everything would more than likely have bunkers of some kind and enough stored food to get them through until new crops grow from the seeds. Probably be quite a few non irradiated places if only one or two major continents took the brunt of a nuclear war. If it was a meteor, or something global though, then we're all screwed anyway, so it probably wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Eh... so the people come out of their shelters and then farm the useless irradiated soil? As for getting rid of the irradiated topsoil, look at the scene in "The Day After" where the farmers point out the problems  associated with that.

And if we are talking parts of the world that aren't or are less affected by a nuclear war then there's two things: 1) they'd probably have seeds and crops that are likewise unaffected making a trip to Spitsbergen unnecessary and 2) How are a bunch of (let's say) New Zealanders supposed to make it through the nuclear hellscape of Eurasia/North America (because those would almost definitely get hit) and get back home with the seeds? 

The scenario where I can see the vault working is in the case of massive crop failures caused by some sort of new disease/parasite. But stuff like Nuclear War or global catastrophes...yeah no. 

• Like 1

"Probably be quite a few non irradiated places if only one or two major continents took the brunt of a nuclear war"

I can't feasibly see South America, Australia, or Africa being nuked. Lot of land mass there to grow crops.

Edited by WoIverine

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Are Norway planning to start a nuclear war ? 

I allways thought there was something sinister about them. :wacko:

Not Norway , but  in case of a nuclear  war, starting any where :(

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110223-nuclear-war-winter-global-warming-environment-science-climate-change/

Edited by docyabut2

14 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Eh... so the people come out of their shelters and then farm the useless irradiated soil? As for getting rid of the irradiated topsoil, look at the scene in "The Day After" where the farmers point out the problems  associated with that.

And if we are talking parts of the world that aren't or are less affected by a nuclear war then there's two things: 1) they'd probably have seeds and crops that are likewise unaffected making a trip to Spitsbergen unnecessary and 2) How are a bunch of (let's say) New Zealanders supposed to make it through the nuclear hellscape of Eurasia/North America (because those would almost definitely get hit) and get back home with the seeds? 

The scenario where I can see the vault working is in the case of massive crop failures caused by some sort of new disease/parasite. But stuff like Nuclear War or global catastrophes...yeah no. 

It is unfortunate to find people opining about scientific programs that to them in their lack of full information seem of no use but are in fact very important.  The idea of having these seeds in case of nuclear disaster is a good one simply because little soil would be "irradiated" as you say, and most would be fine.  

That, however, is secondary to the issue of having available varieties of seeds for hybridizing in case of a disaster with one particular species.  Say the wheat we grow now is hit by a disastrous fungus.  Having older varieties of wheat where there probably are some that are resistant to this fungus would be a life saver.

Here is a 360 degree interactive tour from outside the entrance way of the seed vault, through the tunnels and into the storage facility itself.

https://www.croptrust.org/our-work/svalbard-global-seed-vault/interactive-visit/

7 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

It is unfortunate to find people opining about scientific programs that to them in their lack of full information seem of no use but are in fact very important.  The idea of having these seeds in case of nuclear disaster is a good one simply because little soil would be "irradiated" as you say, and most would be fine.  

That, however, is secondary to the issue of having available varieties of seeds for hybridizing in case of a disaster with one particular species.  Say the wheat we grow now is hit by a disastrous fungus.  Having older varieties of wheat where there probably are some that are resistant to this fungus would be a life saver.

If you read my messages, you might find that I have said that I can see it be helpful in case of crop failure due to diseases and that I was asking questions, not "opining".