Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When was your first sighting of a ghost?

reecejackox

when i was young i believed in them...then i grew up and now i do not

reason:

It was not because i did not go looking for them in alleged haunted places....but because i did.

• Like 3

I'd say soon after my bicycle accident when I was a kid, saw a hella lot of strange stuff after that. I still see "ghost" when I'm sleep deprived or my mind wanders. 

I haven't seen one. Growing up, I remember being terrified by the idea of ghosts, but like most people, I became interested in learning more about something that scared me. Even though I haven't physically seen one, I have heard some strange things when alone at home. When I was a kid, I was in the bathroom and heard three distinct knocks on the other side of the shower. My room was next to the bathroom and my closet was on the other side of the shower. It terrified me. I later learned that the woman who sold us the place, her mother passed away in my room. I didn't sleep in my room for a week :lol:.

I was about 10 or 11 yrs old a whole load of us were playing around an old house as I about to jump out the window a little girl walked past me she was an odd grey colour and kind of gliding along then all of a sudden she was gone,I lept out of the window and never went in there again, now looking back seeing as nobody else saw a thing I can't help thinking it was a young over active mind although the was supposed to be haunted 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt221 said:

I was about 10 or 11 yrs old a whole load of us were playing around an old house as I about to jump out the window a little girl walked past me she was an odd grey colour and kind of gliding along then all of a sudden she was gone,I lept out of the window and never went in there again, now looking back seeing as nobody else saw a thing I can't help thinking it was a young over active mind although the was supposed to be haunted 

Yeah, about the same age but I was in a cemetery and saw a man dressed in late Regency/early Victorian clothes. Pretty much perfect period detail too. I remember the rough time so well because it was about the time the original BBC series of 'Pride and Prejudice' was on.   

• Like 1

I saw another "ghost" afew months later but this time my mate saw it as well it was a bloke on a penny farthing riding his bike in a field! When we went for a closer look he dissappeared no tracks in the grass nothing accept it all felt very still and calm all very odd we didn't tell anyone for years and as it happens an old bloke told us about a ghost he used to see on a bike in a field behind his house.

• Like 1

Was never a firm believer nor disbeliever for most of my life. Had witnessed/experienced a few things during that time that could not be explained, but I just blew 'em off. After I came into my mid 40's probably, my wife and I moved into a house where a Husband/Father had lost his wife to drug use, lost everything he had in the divorce including his children, and so he hung himself. I have never been in a house or anywhere before where there were sooo manyyy incidences that defied all reasoning and explanation. There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING that could have caused some of those things to happen!!! My wife and I lived there a couple of years and then moved. The next place we went into, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING occurred there. Was peaceful and quiet. Lived there a few years then moved. Next place was the same - but then my wife passed away, and then things started happening again. No chains jingling in the night or ghosts were experienced or seen - but things happen that had ABSOLUTELY AND POSITIVELY no explanation for. I knew a few older Native American Indians. I never went out of my way to look for and talk to them, but in passing and when alone, I asked for their take on it. I explained it. I was told that in their custom, they are to remove all of the deceased's belongings so the deceased can continue on their journey. I could not. And small things and incidences continued occurring. After so many months of it, there was something in the air and it seemed angry, and growing angrier as time went on. I just kind of ignored it. Then I hired someone one to come in and clean my house, along with cleaning all of my deceased wife's belongings out of the house. Was almost immediately that things became peaceful and quiet again, and to this day, nothing has happened there that cannot be explained. Coincidence? Everything I write is fact, I have absolutely no reason to lie or even stretch the truth - so decide for yourself.

I rarely talk to anyone about any of this. No one knows what I do and how I live and what I experience or don't experience. I do not speak of it unless it is at this website, but I do not come here very often because some of the people that come here have NEVER experienced anything and have no business being here, but, haha, they read a few books or seen a scary movie or something and think they're experts on the paranormal and only their inexperienced knowledge is believed to be right. But anyway, I was talking to a woman not long ago. I knew her husband very well and I know their daughter. The husband passed away from an illness. The woman, not knowing anything that I have ever experienced, was telling me about some weird things that are happening and have happened since her husband passed away. She told me that she has never believed in ghosts and doesn't even question it because there is no such thing. But she tells me of things that are happening that has NEVER happened before in that house, and she is slightly scared for not knowing, but doesn't feel threatened. Lights have flickered on and off on their own, the shampoo bottles and containers in the bathroom mysteriously ALL moved off the shelves on their own one day while gone and were found lying in the middle of the bathroom floor - BUT NO ONE HAD BEEN IN THAT HOUSE WHILE THE WIFE AND YOUNG DAUGHTER WERE GONE.      

Now I know that the people who have never experienced anything such as this are going to have every stupid explanation and theory listed here such as window left open and wind blowing or vibrations and every other dumb thing one can think of. But they weren't there, and they didn't see that the windows were closed and there were no vibrations or any other dumb thing that they can think of.

• Like 2

My earliest encounters with non-corporeal being was when I was little, but I continue to see them from time to time, my latest encounter was about a month ago.  

• Like 2

On 2017-5-24 at 7:24 PM, Matt221 said:

I saw another "ghost" afew months later but this time my mate saw it as well it was a bloke on a penny farthing riding his bike in a field! When we went for a closer look he dissappeared no tracks in the grass nothing accept it all felt very still and calm all very odd we didn't tell anyone for years and as it happens an old bloke told us about a ghost he used to see on a bike in a field behind his house.

No that's a bit ******* strange. I like that one. 

On 5/20/2017 at 4:23 PM, XenoFish said:

I'd say soon after my bicycle accident when I was a kid, saw a hella lot of strange stuff after that. I still see "ghost" when I'm sleep deprived or my mind wanders. 

That's the demons coming to getcha for all that hocus pocus you did. ;)

• Like 1

When was your first sighting of a ghost? ...

did you believe in ghosts before then?

After a family tragedy, and not in the same way that most people do.

I've never seen a ghost myself. However, I have seen a UFO and I have experienced one of those bizarre 'near death experiences' you hear about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oldrover said:

No that's a bit ******* strange. I like that one. 

That's what we thought but years later we still couldn't work out what it was all about especially as the old bloke saw it as well since then I've seen many odd and unexplained things but part of me is still sceptical

I was 6 when I was playing by a wood pile it was the afternoon. I saw a transparent figure with large black eyes. The only thing I could think of was Casper so it must be a ghost. I had not believed in ghosts before that. I asked it if it was a ghost. He said he was my great grandfather that I didn't know and told me to tell my father that his father had died. I ran off and told my mom what I saw. She couldn't reach him on the phone and called the neighbors. She  called the police since it was 3 days and no one heard from him and he was supposed to be home that weekend. Dad came home from work and we went to the house and my grandfather was dead for several days.  

I believed in ghosts after that although I really don't know if what I saw was really the spirit of my grandfather's dad like it claimed? It didn't look much like a person but it let me know of my grandfather's tragic death. 

• Like 1

The first encounter I remember was when I was about 4.  I was sleeping in a cot/crib by my parents' bed.

I used to chat away happily to a young soldier boy with prominent teeth!

(Before you say it, I didn't drink Scrumpy Jack cider in those days :lol:)

• Like 2

Kinda odd -- I've had visions and been told things by my bedroom lamp masquerading as my dead mother, but never an actual ghost in anything like the traditional sense.  I do sometimes get a solid "thump" on my shoulder or back and turn around and nothing's there.  Does that qualify?

The thing is, I have a skeptical nature, and so don't "believe" these things really are what they appear to be.  One should first of all be skeptical of oneself.  Odd things like this happen a lot, and I don't know enough about how my brain really works to say what they are, and it's better to leave it that way than jump to supernatural or other extraordinary explanations.

• Like 1