Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cigarette prices to soar tommorow

seeder

Philip Hammond's budget to hit smokers as price of pack of cigarettes will cost at least £8.82

A new minimum excise tax will raise prices of the cheapest cigarettes

British smokers have been hit by Chancellor Philip Hammond’s budget with the cost of a pack of cigarettes rising to a least £8.81.

Mr Hammond on Wednesday  told MPs there would be no change to “previously planned upratings of duties on alcohol”.

This really means that tobacco duty will increase at two per cent above inflation under planned price hikes first announced in 2014, leaving a packet of 20 cigarettes costing an additional 35p.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/philip-hammond-cigarettes-pack-smokers-price-tax-increase-882-budget-2017-a7619896.html

• Like 1

If everyone stopped smoking tonight the government would have to find the money they will lose in taxes from elsewhere, my guessing is all tax payers,, ex smokers and  those who never smoked will see a rise in their employment taxes.

many have given up the packets alrready and turned to e-cigs, the govenment do not want to be seen hiking up other taxes yet to try and cover the money they have wasted in the NHS and the extra expences the MP's have helped themelves to.

what worries me is what else the government will tax the normal working man on or what cut backs they will make which will affect the normal working man, when they have lost the millions on the cig tax? They will not cut back on their own expences, or stop wasting our money on foreign ventures.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

On the subject of E-Cigs.....

New laws in UK ‘stifling vaping’s success’ in curbing smoking
Customers put off by rules on nicotine strength could return to cigarettes

Britain’s burgeoning vaping industry is warning of a rise in homemade versions of the liquids used in the devices as new laws governing their strength take effect this weekend.

Vape shops warn that the health of consumers will be put at risk because people will end up buying stronger products from the black market or the internet that do not meet safety standards. There are also concerns that thousands of vapers who use high levels of nicotine will end up reverting to cigarettes now they can no longer buy sufficiently high doses under the new rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/20/vaping-new-laws-stifle-success-curbing-smoking

• Like 1

When smokers complain about the Government putting the price of cigarettes up, I tell them, If you really want to stick it to the government, give up smoking. It's the best protest there is.

• Like 8

Getting close to NYC prices.  I think they're over $14 a pack. I don't know how people can afford to smoke at those prices. 

I live in the south and cigarettes are so much cheaper. "Off brands" are $2.50 and the premium brands run between $3.80 to $5. 

• Like 2

Sure it will keep going  for Governments to get legal money.  Sure can`t wait for all the drugs coming into our countries  to be legal.  so they tax them all .

Wow we are usually famous for being an expensive country, but a typical pack of cigaretts is around 5 £ here.

• Like 1

Man... I'm glad I gave up smoking back in 2000. They've tripled in price! :blink:

• Like 4

The Lib-Dems say that they'll legalise weed (and presumably honey oil for the vapers) to generate £Billion in tax revenue.

Mind you they can pretty much promise whatever the hell they like as there is almost zero chance that they'll be in a position to deliver on election pledges.

If the conservatives get in again expect Chinese style internet restrictions, followed by an air tax (hopefully they'll make it a fresh air tax, as there's precious little of that around so most of us won't get caught with that one!!!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Getting close to NYC prices.  I think they're over $14 a pack. I don't know how people can afford to smoke at those prices. 

I live in the south and cigarettes are so much cheaper. "Off brands" are $2.50 and the premium brands run between $3.80 to $5. 

Cigarettes over here work out to be about $1.50 each. thats a pack of 20s for close to $30.

Giving up is hard but well worrh it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Man... I'm glad I gave up smoking back in 2000. They've tripled in price! :blink:

I remember my parents buying cartons (10 packs) of premium cigarettes in the 60's for 5 dollars.  Of course, a dollar actually had some real value then.  A kid could get a bellyache from a candy store for 25 cents :P

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I remember my parents buying cartons (10 packs) of premium cigarettes in the 60's for 5 dollars.  Of course, a dollar actually had some real value then.  A kid could get a bellyache from a candy store for 25 cents :P

It makes me wonder if people in appropriate climate zones will begin growing and curing their own tobacco.  I wouldn't be surprised if the revenooers started coming after tobacco plots like they do stills :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, and then said:

It makes me wonder if people in appropriate climate zones will begin growing and curing their own tobacco.  I wouldn't be surprised if the revenooers started coming after tobacco plots like they do stills :) 

There's more of a chance for tobacco smuggling to start happening if the price goes up too much.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm a little bit of an economic heretic on this -- inflation is good in small doses and vastly preferable over even a touch of deflation.  It seems the world's head bankers have that notion too -- they use to aim for zero inflation and ended up causing recessions -- now they aim for two percent.

Now two percent inflation, year on year, does eat into spending power, especially for those on fixed incomes, after ten or more years, so indexation of pensions and such things is needed.  Such indexation even helps with the economy by making those on such incomes feel better about spending and not tending to conserve money and therefore living a little better.

The thing to remember is money is artificial, created over most of the world by central banks, and serves as a signal in an open economy to manufacturers and farmers and so on how much things are wanted and what is really wanted and what is in surplus and should not be being made so much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't believe in "sin" taxes -- I don't think government has any business deciding what to encourage and what not via tax policy.  Tobacco and alcohol and gambling and prostitution and so on are, where legal, heavily taxed.  What that does is keep the mob in business providing the sins at less cost and still making good profits, and taking the milk away from the children of those who are morally weak.

Tax policy however should be flexible, and I do think taxes on consumption of things people don't have to have are the best taxes, but I would tend to aim it more toward luxuries rather than have the government make moral judgments.

Taxing human behavior that harms the society at large is sometimes necessary to reduce that harm.  At least that's the excuse I've always heard from government.  The truth is the money hardly ever goes where it is needed or promised.  High tax on tobacco products would be acceptable if the monies were used to treat or prevent disease CAUSED by the tobacco.  That money usually becomes a political slush fund here in the US.  Alcohol and tobacco destroy a LOT of lives but the taxes have become an irreplaceable part of the budgets of many governments.  I guess that an adult of say, 25, should be given the choice of a tax waiver for his vices.  If he signs up, let him use whatever substances he wants in private.  No intoxicants while driving, of course.  When he almost certainly receives his diagnosis in his 50's or 60's, he has agreed to indemnify society for his behavior.  The waiver he signed will relieve the government (fellow citizens) from liability for his care.  Since such conditions usually lead to death, often painful death, the society owes him only palliative care until he passes.  It may sound cruel but it is fair beyond any doubt.  I believe a time is coming even in industrialized and wealthy nations when palliative care will be all that MOST citizens will be able to receive.  Unless there is a die-off to reduce the population.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Giving up is hard but well worrh it.

Absolutely!

For myself, the first month was hardest, but I even managed to cope through exams.

It's a little weird sometimes though. Even years later, if I'm in certain surroundings that I haven't been in since I was smoker, I still get the odd little craving.

• Like 2

well the price changes are sposed to be in today, I just went and bought a budget brand Ive been buying for a couple of years now, "Windsor Blue"...the receipt shows they are £7.89....so.... just under £8...so thats £56 per week @ a pack a day.... a considerable sum

So yes I will get my head tuned to the idea of just giving up!  Ive done it before and know I can do it again

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I used to smoke Bensons, and I just looked up their price...a little over a tenner !!!!   Staggering!

The price of Benson & Hedges Gold King Size Cigarettes (20) in ASDA is £10.24.For each Cigarette of Benson & Hedges Gold King Size Cigarettes (20) the price is 51.2p.

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

well the price changes are sposed to be in today, I just went a bought a budget brand Ive been buying for a couple of years now, "Windsor Blue"...the receipt shows they are £7.89....so.... just under £8...so thats £56 per week @ a pack a day.... a considerable sum

So yes I will get my head tuned to the idea of just giving up!  Ive done it before and know I can do it again

Good luck to you, and we won't hold it against you if you rant and rave on the forums for a few weeks... rant and rave more than usual that is! :lol:;)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I don't believe in "sin" taxes -- I don't think government has any business deciding what to encourage and what not via tax policy.  Tobacco and alcohol and gambling and prostitution and so on are, where legal, heavily taxed.  What that does is keep the mob in business providing the sins at less cost and still making good profits, and taking the milk away from the children of those who are morally weak.

Tax policy however should be flexible, and I do think taxes on consumption of things people don't have to have are the best taxes, but I would tend to aim it more toward luxuries rather than have the government make moral judgments.

You get my vote Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

well the price changes are sposed to be in today, I just went and bought a budget brand Ive been buying for a couple of years now, "Windsor Blue"...the receipt shows they are £7.89....so.... just under £8...so thats £56 per week @ a pack a day.... a considerable sum

I used to love Marlboro reds 100's, but then my pocket told me to start rolling my own again, then Golden Virginia started getting up to about £20 for 50g, so i switched from analogue to digital and began vaping back in February. I'm pleased to say that i'm still off the ciggies and probably spend less than £10 a month on e-liquid and coils

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I'd agree - except passive smoking related illnesses are a thing.

if someone wants to suck in carcinogenic chemicals to their lungs, knock yourselves out - ideally out of the genepool because that level of stupid is something humanity should do without - but when that person's addiction to the cancer sticks endangers me solely by proximity? Thats a whole different kettle of fish. 

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I'd agree - except passive smoking related illnesses are a thing.

if someone wants to suck in carcinogenic chemicals to their lungs, knock yourselves out - ideally out of the genepool because that level of stupid is something humanity should do without - but when that person's addiction to the cancer sticks endangers me solely by proximity? Thats a whole different kettle of fish. 

I'm inclined to the view that the issue of passive smoking has been overdone and the studies poorly carried out and with a political agenda.  If one is constantly breathing in the stuff in a smoke-filled room, that is one thing; most smokers though nowadays go outside to smoke (especially when there are children).

In SE Asia almost all adult males smoke.  They do so nowadays at work and outdoors and in male-oriented places, such as beer halls, and are aware of wifely objections.

In a public place, such as a restaurant, laws against lighting up are sufficient -- it is not necessary to ban cigarettes entirely or impose taxes that only profit the criminal networks and hurt the family finances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I'm inclined to the view that the issue of passive smoking has been overdone and the studies poorly carried out and with a political agenda.  If one is constantly breathing in the stuff in a smoke-filled room, that is one thing; most smokers though nowadays go outside to smoke (especially when there are children).

In SE Asia almost all adult males smoke.  They do so nowadays at work and outdoors and in male-oriented places, such as beer halls, and are aware of wifely objections.

In a public place, such as a restaurant, laws against lighting up are sufficient -- it is not necessary to ban cigarettes entirely or impose taxes that only profit the criminal networks and hurt the family finances.

You see Frank, I like to breathe clear air. I dislike having to breathe in someone else's smoke. In fact, I shouldn't have to breathe in dangerous chemicals unless I choose to, or it's an unavoidable side effect of society. Second hand smoke is avoidable.