Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Methane fuel

Frank Merton

It appears an alternative source of nat gas (or something similar) in massive quantities is on the horizon.  This worries me -- I had hoped burnable fuels would go out of the mix as solar, etc., become cheaper and supplies of these other fuels diminish, but it looks like the world will be unlucky this way. 

https://apnews.com/9e45285b36f9481ea686b5fe683cc0f1/China,-Japan-extract-combustible-ice-from-seafloor

Well, maybe better than coal.

• Like 1

This is what I use when I go Camping, its small but I also have two solar panalels that create up to 750 watts each with a seprate solar system. I have never used the big ones but I have them with batteries an can hardly lift.  But a little goes a long way.

• Like 2

Renewable energy is only getting as cheap as the quality can go down and as reliable as the weather. Solar or air will never be able to create the energy we need going forward. It's not gonna fly a plane or anything ya know rather they'll continue to serve as supplemental. Then there are the batteries ...well those aren't too environmentally friendly either and then there's the expense of batteries and maintenance. It can cost $100,000 just to replace a broken fan blade on those large wind turbines and let's not forget insurance costs...those things have to be insured too, paying guys to regularly maintain things and pay land owners their monthly lease fee's (which is pretty sweet for the land owner I might add) Then there's the tolerance of voltage and frequency which must be monitored as adjustments must be fractioned and that ramped electricity comes from gas power and to have a wind turbine you need oil ironically if not hypocritically enough. There's more to it all than costs per kw which is what most people look at because they don't last forever. There are many things people don't think about in regards to wind and solar power. But for camping and other supplemental home uses, they are fine but still a bit costly in some ways. Some don't realize how much energy goes into making solar panels and wind turbines which is crazy high compared to the continued output of natural gas or coal which of course has it's expenses in energy as well but it's the increase in energy load to create another form of energy that is of concern.

Ultimately it comes down to agenda. What results you want to find will depend on the person's agenda that is preaching/teaching these things. Some people and businesses (i.e. $$$$) are very...very environment oriented or in the process of receiving money benefits from this and have been caught skewing results to meet their agenda, though of course those in the industry of natural fuels have their own agenda's as well. I just work in utility lines but I know we charge a crazy amount of money to run power lines to wind turbines and I won't even discuss the crazy costs of batteries, you know the good storage batteries and inverters that need replacing for thousands of dollars within 10 years, not the ones you buy for your car or come with your camping solar kit. A lot of it is really going to depend on our ability to store energy cheaply and without destroying the environment...not an easy task for our lifetime. For a long time to come...until all energies used to produce wind turbines and photovoltaic cells come from renewable energy sources, modern civilization will remain fundamentally dependent on fossil fuels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightScreams said:

Renewable energy is only getting as cheap as the quality can go down and as reliable as the weather. Solar or air will never be able to create the energy we need going forward. It's not gonna fly a plane or anything ya know rather they'll continue to serve as supplemental. Then there are the batteries ...well those aren't too environmentally friendly either and then there's the expense of batteries and maintenance. It can cost $100,000 just to replace a broken fan blade on those large wind turbines and let's not forget insurance costs...those things have to be insured too, paying guys to regularly maintain things and pay land owners their monthly lease fee's (which is pretty sweet for the land owner I might add) Then there's the tolerance of voltage and frequency which must be monitored as adjustments must be fractioned and that ramped electricity comes from gas power and to have a wind turbine you need oil ironically if not hypocritically enough. There's more to it all than costs per kw which is what most people look at because they don't last forever. There are many things people don't think about in regards to wind and solar power. But for camping and other supplemental home uses, they are fine but still a bit costly in some ways. Some don't realize how much energy goes into making solar panels and wind turbines which is crazy high compared to the continued output of natural gas or coal which of course has it's expenses in energy as well but it's the increase in energy load to create another form of energy that is of concern.

Ultimately it comes down to agenda. What results you want to find will depend on the person's agenda that is preaching/teaching these things. Some people and businesses (i.e. $$$$) are very...very environment oriented or in the process of receiving money benefits from this and have been caught skewing results to meet their agenda, though of course those in the industry of natural fuels have their own agenda's as well. I just work in utility lines but I know we charge a crazy amount of money to run power lines to wind turbines and I won't even discuss the crazy costs of batteries, you know the good storage batteries and inverters that need replacing for thousands of dollars within 10 years, not the ones you buy for your car or come with your camping solar kit. A lot of it is really going to depend on our ability to store energy cheaply and without destroying the environment...not an easy task for our lifetime. For a long time to come...until all energies used to produce wind turbines and photovoltaic cells come from renewable energy sources, modern civilization will remain fundamentally dependent on fossil fuels.

Most of the problems you bring up could be done with hydrogen and batteries.  As I understand it you are mistaken about costs and that wind and solar power are rapidly becoming competitive, as well as batteries.  I am not an expert -- I just go by what I read in the business press -- but I don't think it agrees with what you assert here.  If I'm wrong, there is serious reason to be concerned about the environment.

I kinda resent your use of terms like "preaching." It sours the milk in what otherwise might be a productive discussion and causes me to simply dismiss what you say as propaganda.  That is the way I and a lot of people take things like that.

I looked into both wind and solar to supply my energy needs.   Neither was economically responsible for me.   Payback was way too many years.