Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sea lion grabs young girl from a pier

Still Waters

A little girl was left traumatised after a sea lion grabbed her as she sat on the edge of a pier before dragging her underwater.

The horrifying incident took place at the Steveston Fisherman's Wharf in Richmond B.C., in Canada, as tourists watched the animal looking for fish.

Footage shows people laughing as the sea lion bobs up and down in the water.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4526970/Sea-lion-grabs-girl-pier-drags-underwater.html

• Like 7

Wow! That was violent. He tried to give the girl a warning first though, and she then sat down anyway.

• Like 5

The link says the girl and her family were feeding it bread crumbs. It may have just wanted attention, which it sure got. Wild life is wild life. Always be cautious no matter how docile the animal seems.

'She and her family, I guess, they came, they started feeding the animal bread crumbs or whatever it was, and then I guess the animal got a little too comfortable.'

• Like 6

I read about this on our local news station last night.  The Fish and Wildlife officer said the sea lion could have grabbed her dress because it was loose and rustling.  His discussing the situation was removed - he said they were stupid to be feeding the animals, which they were, but not good PR for bringing in tourists ;).

Tourists MUST remember these are wild animals and they are unpredictable.  The number of attacks on tourists are so high in our parks because they forget that animals can be dangerous.

Edited by glorybebe
  • Like 6

Yes glorybebe. The girl and her family were feeding the animal and then she sat down right on the water's edge with her back to it. Sea lions aren't known to attack humans and I don't think it meant to hurt her, but it can shake you up when the animal acts in a way you don't expect it to. People approach bears and all kinds of wildlife. Even in safari parks, people put down their windows to take pictures with monkeys. They can hurt you.

• Like 3

Actually, sea lions have been known to attack humans over here.  Not very often, but some people have had some nasty bites.  Mostly it has been divers but locals know to be careful if them if they decide to come up on the beaches.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Actually, sea lions have been known to attack humans over here.  Not very often, but some people have had some nasty bites.  Mostly it has been divers but locals know to be careful if them if they decide to come up on the beaches.

This is something I never understand, why don't seals and sea lions ever eat people? Don't get me wrong I'm very glad they don't, but why not? 

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Yes. I just found this link. Apparently the sea lions have become more aggressive lately. The behavior is considered unusual as they normally wouldn't attack humans. A lot of the attacks relate in someway to food. They will also attack if they feel the human is entering their personal space. I might do that too :P

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sea-Lion-Attacks-on-Humans-41338.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lion

• Like 1

I was wrong it was not fish and game, but the port authority who lambasted the parents:

"You can only spend so much time protecting people from their reckless behaviour," he said.

"We've now seen an example of why it's illegal to do this and why it's dangerous and frankly stupid to do this."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-lion-drags-girl-into-water-off-steveston-docks-in-richmond-b-c-1.4126203

if there are signs posted all over not to feed the animals and the dress was hanging over the edge, you can't blame the animal.  Parents need to pay attention.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I was wrong it was not fish and game, but the port authority who lambasted the parents:

"You can only spend so much time protecting people from their reckless behaviour," he said.

"We've now seen an example of why it's illegal to do this and why it's dangerous and frankly stupid to do this."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-lion-drags-girl-into-water-off-steveston-docks-in-richmond-b-c-1.4126203

if there are signs posted all over not to feed the animals and the dress was hanging over the edge, you can't blame the animal.  Parents need to pay attention.

Yup...

The bears around suburbs and cities are extremely used to people too. In the Smokey Mountains especially. I can't tell you how many times we've seen people pushing their children in the direction of a wild bear to take a picture. Or coax the bears as close as possible to give them a treat.

Animal attacks of all kinds have increased because of this stupid behavior. Including trying to take selfies with them. The bad part is the animal, in a lot of cases, will end up being put down. I say it's cleaning the gene pool without a war.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yup...

The bears around suburbs and cities are extremely used to people too. In the Smokey Mountains especially. I can't tell you how many times we've seen people pushing their children in the direction of a wild bear to take a picture. Or coax the bears as close as possible to give them a treat.

Animal attacks of all kinds have increased because of this stupid behavior. Including trying to take selfies with them. The bad part is the animal, in a lot of cases, will end up being put down. I say it's cleaning the gene pool without a war.

A kid lost his arm in one of our parks because a dad had his kid try to feed a bear.  I talked to a guy from South Africa and he told me no matter how many times tourists were told to stay in their cars and not open windows, they would find cameras and blood with the car doors open.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

A kid lost his arm in one of our parks because a dad had his kid try to feed a bear.  I talked to a guy from South Africa and he told me no matter how many times tourists were told to stay in their cars and not open windows, they would find cameras and blood with the car doors open.  

When we were driving up a mountain road in the woods a small bear cub ran across the road. I saw it coming and there was no traffic so I told my husband to stop so we could watch it. The windows were cracked open an inch or so and the doors were unlocked. I insisted he roll up the windows and lock the doors. He laughed at first and then I reminded him of all of the damage we've seen to cars from bears that happened in a heartbeat, including opening car doors. We didn't see momma but it was too small for her not to be watching closely and they are fast creatures.

• Like 3

And if you go on YouTube there are videos of bears opening car doors.  They are smarter than most people think.

• Like 3

Hiking in the woods, many times over the years with friends, we've talked about bears and other critters a lot. There is an old joke, I don't have to run faster than a bear just faster than you. I'm the sprinter of the group. :lol:

• Like 2

We get black bears that wander down from the mountains here, right in town. They love to dig through people's garbage. Smart people call the police and let the bear alone. We've had deer get inside buildings and go totally berserk. They can get dangerous fast too.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, susieice said:

We get black bears that wander down from the mountains here, right in town. They love to dig through people's garbage. Smart people call the police and let the bear alone. We've had deer get inside buildings and go totally berserk. They can get dangerous fast too.

We do a lot of camping in the mountains of Arizona. One of our favorite spots is a place we call "bear patch" because within the first 15 minutes after arriving we saw our first black bear. Almost every day we were visited by bears of all sizes.

Here is just one of many that Mrs ZZ captured with her camera.

296364815.jpg?606

He is a small one. One morning I heard a stir outside the tent and saw what could have been his mother lurking way too close. Very large she was.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 6

I love it when people hear camping/bear horror stories and say people should stay away from their territory. Many of us only have to walk outside of our house to be in their territory. It's not an option like avoiding sharks by staying out of the ocean. :D

• Like 7

If this bear had been a little larger and more determined it would have entered this woman's house easily.

After several unsuccessful attempts to open the glass door, the bear moved on — to try another door.

"He actually left the kitchen area and went to the second set of doors off the deck," Belfiore said. "And I tried those and then went to the third set of doors into the living room and attempted to get into those."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hungry-bear-tries-to-break-into-connecticut-home-after-smelling-freshly-baked-brownies/

The picture is great.

• Like 2

We once had an Asian bear wander through our compound, although no one saw it we know because of tracks and claw marks.  These bears are maybe half the size of bears in America, but they still make one nervous.  We have maybe twenty dogs in the compound, but no one heard them make a sound.  One wonders if the bear is that good at sneaking around, since if a stranger comes near during the night the dogs set up a huge racket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I love it when people hear camping/bear horror stories and say people should stay away from their territory. Many of us only have to walk outside of our house to be in their territory. It's not an option like avoiding sharks by staying out of the ocean. :D

We get black bear, usually young males. Gaming Commission says the older males run them out of their territory and the young follow the Delaware River into our towns. A lot of wooded areas and farms here. When I lived in Easton we would see them occasionally and that's actually a small city of about 30,000 people. One was in the downtown area and was shot by police. Everyone was upset about that, but they're usually tranquilized and taken back into the Poconos. Deer are everywhere. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

On 22/05/2017 at 2:36 PM, .ZZ. said:

We do a lot of camping in the mountains of Arizona. One of our favorite spots is a place we call "bear patch" because within the first 15 minutes after arriving we saw our first black bear. Almost every day we were visited by bears of all sizes.

Here is just one of many that Mrs ZZ captured with her camera.

296364815.jpg?606

He is a small one. One morning I heard a stir outside the tent and saw what could have been his mother lurking way too close. Very large she was.

Hang on just a minute... that looks like a genuine Bigfoot, either that or a man in a  genuine gorilla suit... I just don't think based on this single photo and the "eyewitness" testimony that we can conclusively scream genuine "BEAR!!" ... ;)

Of course if it was backed up with stool and hair samples, plaster paw prints, DNA, a body or even better a live capture filmed in front of a live audience and backed by the approval of social media I might be swayed to agree that a BEAR might be at most be a possibility.

Sea LION silly tourists, lion. Stay away from anything with lion in the name. Sea lion, mountain lion, lion jellyfish. All the lions.

7 hours ago, taniwha said:

Hang on just a minute... that looks like a genuine Bigfoot, either that or a man in a  genuine gorilla suit... I just don't think based on this single photo and the "eyewitness" testimony that we can conclusively scream genuine "BEAR!!" ... ;)

Of course if it was backed up with stool and hair samples, plaster paw prints, DNA, a body or even better a live capture filmed in front of a live audience and backed by the approval of social media I might be swayed to agree that a BEAR might be at most be a possibility.

It is a clear picture of a creature that has been proven to exist.

I may have to start a thread on Predators someday soon, people seem to have forgotten that they can be dangerous.

Just not sure where that thread should go...

• Like 1

It seems as if they decided to stop feeding him before he was done eating. Wild animals don't know the meaning of "done." So, if people persist in feeding wildlife they should be prepared to bring at least 50 loaves of bread with them, or risk losing their first born child when the food runs out. 

• Like 3