Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do sharks and whales swim so differently?

Claire.

Tale of 2 Tails: Why Do Sharks and Whales Swim So Differently?

The graceful whale swims by undulating its wide tail up and down. And so does the shark, right? Wrong.

Like other fish, sharks swim by moving their tails side to side. So, why do these two marine creatures — the shark and the whale — swim in such different ways?

Read more: Live Science

• Like 2

Without reading the link, I would guess It's how their bodies evolved? We walk different than monkeys and bears on 2 legs. Our environment allows for multiple ways to walk, swim and fly efficiently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Cause whales are d**** and sharks are awesome

Whales are mammals descended from land-dwelling four legged creatures.  Sharks evolved in the sea.  So whales swim with an up and down motion, even though it's a little less efficient, as this reflects their heritage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Whales are mammals descended from land-dwelling four legged creatures.  Sharks evolved in the sea.  So whales swim with an up and down motion, even though it's a little less efficient, as this reflects their heritage.

Pretty sure my answer was correct

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Pretty sure my answer was correct

Good for you.

48 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Cause whales are d**** and sharks are awesome

I don't know, I would rather have a close encounter with a whale than a shark myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Merton said:

Good for you.

It is actually good for me. I have a very healthy relationship with my thoughts and opinions that isn't influenced by others being d****.

they swim differently because bones...

I don't really have an answer, but it is interesting.   It seems that all cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises)  use the up and down motion. 

17 hours ago, Wickian said:

I don't know, I would rather have a close encounter with a whale than a shark myself.

Think I can give them both a miss my rule of thumb is don't ever get in the water with anything bigger than you are it works for me