Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are bobcats the next urban pest?

Claire.

With populations thriving, are bobcats the next urban pest?

As someone who has studied bobcats for almost four decades, wildlife ecologist John Litvaitis remembers many times returning from the field without spotting a single one of these solitary and shy creatures that often hunt at dusk. But bobcats are less elusive now as their numbers rise and they become more comfortable around humans. Joining the likes of foxes, coyotes and even mountain lions in rare cases, bobcats are making a home in small towns and suburbs—and realizing there is plenty to eat in the cities.

Read more: Phys.org

• Like 1

Shame. It's so easy to be labelled a pest

• Like 2

Growing up in Missouri, we had a domestic/bocat pet cat.    Pretty big.   My sister in law was afraid to come over much.   We never had any issues with it.   When we moved, we left it there because we moved to a suburb.  

It was all black.   Very cool cat was Midnight.  

• Like 3

Most Countries have urban pests , ours is City born Foxes which can be seen in any City after dark  , and millions of Pigeons which inhabit every village town and city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Most Countries have urban pests , ours is City born Foxes which can be seen in any City after dark  , and millions of Pigeons which inhabit every village town and city.

Spud, it sounds like your city could use some imported bobcats for the pigeon infestation!  It'd be a win/win.

• Like 3

Here, they would have to run the gauntlet of all my rural, trigger-happy, redneck brethren and their dogs. Then when they got here, the coyotes, who got here first, would eat'em.

Edited by Hammerclaw

I thought my tabby was scary enough. I have seen them but I wouldn`t want to dance with one. 

Edited by The Silver Thong

I had a trail cam in my backyard and caught all kinds of critters prowling around at night. Raccoons, Possums, foxes (etc)

But one time I thought a had a bobcat caught on camera. Turns out it was my neighbors cat. She had a Minx with a bobbed tail.:lol: