Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who was Leonardo da Vinci's mystery mother?

UM-Bot

You`d think if he knew who his real mother was , he would have painted a picture of her,  the Mona Lisa?

• Like 1

No. Mona Lisa came much later.

:Leonardo was a polymath..

• Like 1

I'd be interested to read this research. I'm always fascinated by the wealth of information people stumble across in old libraries, collections and attics. I hope his work is more authoritative than "here's a name that matches so let's shoehorn it into Leonardo's life".  But I'm always cautious at the words "most likely".

Edited by Tom the Photon
half was missed off
  • Like 1

I thought Dan Brown said Mary Magdalene was Da Vinci's mother - or am I getting mixed up?

• Like 2

On 2017-5-23 at 11:14 AM, Tom the Photon said:

I'd be interested to read this research. I'm always fascinated by the wealth of information people stumble across in old libraries, collections and attics. I hope his work is more authoritative than "here's a name that matches so let's shoehorn it into Leonardo's life".  But I'm always cautious at the words "most likely".

'Mist likely' is a good term to use in this sort of thing, it shows the researcher is acknowledging tha there's room for doubt and that their research is dealing with probability. You can rarely be sure in historical research the bst you can do is present the evidence and discuss the most ressonable interpretation of the evidence. The ones you want to watch for are those who are 100% sure.

On 2017-5-23 at 4:04 AM, Likely Guy said:

No. Mona Lisa came much later.

:Leonardo was a polymath..

That's a bit harsh.