Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people?

invadrzim

When I was about 4 or 5, I have vivid memories of sitting in my bed and watching my closet door open as these strange shadowy figures filed out. There were typically two main ones that I remember, yet I remember this same process going on for about ten minutes as if there were even more of them. They looked like the simplistic silhouettes men you'd see on bathroom signs, indicating which was the girls and which was the boys, with the floating, round heads. Mine must've been about 7 or 8 feet tall. They weren't hostile at all, and I don't remember any unsettling feeling accompanying their visits. I was completely still and completely quiet, just watching them roam around my room.

I think I remember two of them were very laid back and friendly, despite never directly interacting with me and never speaking. I think I had immediately known those personalities. I also recall thinking they were my friends or guardians, but I'm not sure about this detail. I remember feeling safe around them. I talked about this with one of my friends, she said she had a similar experience with a glowing exit sign appearing above her closet; apparently, it had a face and never spoke to her, and she didn't seem to care about it. Another friend also had a similar experience with small, red humanoids filing into her room through her closet. All of these occurrences happened while we were around the same age, and I doubt that we were dreaming because we all remember being conscious during the occurrences, just apathetic and not seeming to care about the strange beings walking around in our closet.

I think one detail that stuck out about my experience was this strange feeling that's extremely difficult to explain. It's like feeling huge and small at the same time, and after witnessing the shadow people, I'd feel that same sensation for a few minutes. This hasn't happened to me in years. Since then, I've moved across the country (From VA to California). Before I moved to California, I lived in the exact same house that the shadow people were in my entire life. After their first five or six appearances, they just stopped. 

Does anyone know where these beings came from, what they could want, and if they're still capable of somehow finding their way back to me? It's a little strange to admit, but thinking about them makes me want to see something like that again. I must've been too young at the time to really take in what I was seeing. And if they really are friendly, I'd definitely love to attempt communication with them.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• preacherman76

• invadrzim

• Imaginarynumber1

• Orangiestgirl

Not sure if it was that because I do remember getting up after it happened and going to tell my mom about it, but could be 

• 3 weeks later...

I had this experience also around the age of 6 or 7.  I never felt fear, I'd watch them come from the left side of my bed, walk around to the right and disappear.  I don't recall seeing where they started or left the room.   I would see shadows of men, women and children.  I recall it being like a parade and felt that the people where happy.  The never interacted with me.  

On 5/23/2017 at 2:17 AM, invadrzim said:

When I was about 4 or 5, I have vivid memories of sitting in my bed and watching my closet door open as these strange shadowy figures filed out. There were typically two main ones that I remember, yet I remember this same process going on for about ten minutes as if there were even more of them. They looked like the simplistic silhouettes men you'd see on bathroom signs, indicating which was the girls and which was the boys, with the floating, round heads. Mine must've been about 7 or 8 feet tall. They weren't hostile at all, and I don't remember any unsettling feeling accompanying their visits. I was completely still and completely quiet, just watching them roam around my room.

I think I remember two of them were very laid back and friendly, despite never directly interacting with me and never speaking. I think I had immediately known those personalities. I also recall thinking they were my friends or guardians, but I'm not sure about this detail. I remember feeling safe around them. I talked about this with one of my friends, she said she had a similar experience with a glowing exit sign appearing above her closet; apparently, it had a face and never spoke to her, and she didn't seem to care about it. Another friend also had a similar experience with small, red humanoids filing into her room through her closet. All of these occurrences happened while we were around the same age, and I doubt that we were dreaming because we all remember being conscious during the occurrences, just apathetic and not seeming to care about the strange beings walking around in our closet.

I think one detail that stuck out about my experience was this strange feeling that's extremely difficult to explain. It's like feeling huge and small at the same time, and after witnessing the shadow people, I'd feel that same sensation for a few minutes. This hasn't happened to me in years. Since then, I've moved across the country (From VA to California). Before I moved to California, I lived in the exact same house that the shadow people were in my entire life. After their first five or six appearances, they just stopped. 

Does anyone know where these beings came from, what they could want, and if they're still capable of somehow finding their way back to me? It's a little strange to admit, but thinking about them makes me want to see something like that again. I must've been too young at the time to really take in what I was seeing. And if they really are friendly, I'd definitely love to attempt communication with them.

Hello invadrzim. Welcome to the boards. What and who these entities are has been a question I've been relentlessly trying to figure out for the last few years. I've basically come to the conclusion that as it stands right now there is no real way to know. 

Honestly I, and several others, including some scientists find the hypnagogic hallucinations theory to be lacking. Now that's not to say that we may one day find that to be the case. For now though it seems to be a way to dismiss any other possibility. Problem with the theory is the similarity and complexity of the events. People seeing the exact same entities all through recorded history, regardless of geographic locations. For this to be simply a hallucination when considering how similar and complex they are, to me is just lazy. 

Now it's true that people do hallucinate similar things in other situations. But those things are easily identified when mapping the brain during them. Like a person going through alcohol withdrawals will feel like bugs are crawling on them at times. We know exactly how and why that happens. Not so much in the case of shadow people. Or the hag, or aliens etc.

There is a good video on YouTube explaining all this. I will post it when I get the chance later today.

So if not hallucinations, what then? Like I said, I don't think there is anyway to really know. Personally I think it's possible that on some level they are real. And are probably around all the time. We just can't normally see them. It's possible that during that half awake half asleep state, our minds are like radio's, and for whatever reason they can tune into frequencies we otherwise wouldn't normally be able.  

If you want to see them again, best way is to intentionally induce sleep paralysis. There is some really good advice to do this in the astral projection thread pinned at the top of the dream section.  

this is a great short video explaining why the scientific view point on the visual and audio experiences people get during sleep paralysis doesn't really add up. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, invadrzim said:

I think one detail that stuck out about my experience was this strange feeling that's extremely difficult to explain. It's like feeling huge and small at the same time, and after witnessing the shadow people, I'd feel that same sensation for a few minutes. This hasn't happened to me in years.

I know exactly what you're talking about - and I know how impossible it may seem to explain this feeling - "huge and small at the same time" is probably the best explanation. Big and small at the same time, completely happy but completely depressed at the same time, right? Confused and relaxed, as if you were looking at your tiny little body from thousands of lightyears away but at the same time you are inside of your body. It's a very strange feeling and it cannot really be explained.

I've had this feeling (coupled with "paranormal" experiences sometimes) multiple times throughout the years and I can assure you that this is closely related to sleep - not just sleep paralysis but sleep in general. I've noticed the feeling sometimes as I was falling asleep, other times when I woke up and some times even when I was completely awake during the day. Sometimes right after or before this I had a shadow figure experience (with full sleep paralysis and everything - a book example). So don't worry, this is most likely nothing paranormal.

But the feeling is indeed very strange and uncomfortable, isn't it... although at the same time it's very comfy. Hard to talk about it lol.

Edited by Nathan815