Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What caused the Hindenburg to catch fire ?

UM-Bot

I watch a show that someone on the ship,  a German  was in a conspiracy against Hitler to blow it up.

Wasn't it electrostatic discharge that ignited leaking hydrogen ?

17 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Wasn't it electrostatic discharge that ignited leaking hydrogen ?

Yes it was a electrostatic discharge but it ignited the covering on the airship that had about the same ingredients as rocket fuel. Thermal imaging indicated that the hydrogen was a secondary fire. Well it's what a PBS show had to say about it and I don't remember which one it was.

Static lines were used on the airships to discharge the static buildup but I guess it didn't work that time.

• Like 1

My favorite part of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series is that it is set in an alternate universe where dirigibles and the like are the main mode of air travel. <3 Every time I see the Good Year or MetLife blimps here in town, I always wish I could go for a ride. 

• Like 1

All that was needed was a jet of leaking hydrogen and an ignition source, a spark, open flame or a crewman or passenger smoking where they should have not. 

The Hindenburg disaster occurred at 7:25 PM eastern time on May 6, 1937, at the Naval Air Station at Lakehurst, New Jersey. 23 passengers and 39 crewmembers survived the accident. 13 passengers, 22 crewmembers, and one civilian member of the ground crew were killed. Yahoo Answers   Curious that more survived than perished.

I've watched this footage a thousand times in my life and what still astonishes me, is that of the 97 people passengers aboard, 60 of them actually survived

• Like 1