Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need Help

skepticalbutscared

I'm new to all of this.  I have never personally experienced anything like this.  I have had sightings of my grandmother and things like that, but I could always explain them away.  On Saturday, we took our boys to a sporting event.  We left our house around 5:45 pm and at 6:45 we received a call from our neighbor that our alarm was going off.  We didn't think much about it and assumed that our kitten had climbed the curtains and had knocked them down and caused the alarm to go off.  On our way home it was pouring down rain and we had left our three dogs outside, so we discussed grabbing towels as soon as we got home to dry them off and we would make sure they had a good treat.  We get home, unlock the door, and two out of our three dogs are in the house!!  One dog is still outside.  The doors are all still locked!  My husband had been married before me and his wife passed away in our house from brain cancer.  I am now step-mom to their two sons.  The two dogs that were inside were hers...the one that was left outside was mine.  This was Saturday.  Yesterday (Monday evening) I went over to start dinner for the boys.  There's a microwave above our stove that hasn't worked for years.  In fact, my husband and his previous wife called a repair man and he said that they would just have to purchase a new one.  It's been used as storage since then.  Once I started dinner one of our boys said that the microwave was on...it works perfectly now.  My husband thinks it's all a joke and that this is one helpful ghost, but I don't know how to explain this.  I am scared to be home alone.  Am I paranoid?  Is this even plausible?  I don't know.  Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't know what to do anymore.

So um yeah, the first wife dies in the home, decides to return one rainy day to let her dogs in (not yours, because she's spiteful that way) and whilst she's there, decides to fix the microwave. Given that there are like a gazillion more plausible scenarios that could explain the events of that day, I don't understand why you would unnecessarily frighten yourself with an explanation such as that one.

You should have called the police. They are expert at looking for evidence of a possible intrusion, or other factors that may have set the alarm off.

Why, by the way, would you bother having an alarm system, if you're just going to ignore it?

As for the microwave, there are a number of reasons why it turned on by itself. This article examines some of them. So no, your microwave is not functioning properly and you should not be using it, even if it appears to be fine. You also now know why it's extremely dangerous to use it for storage.

• Like 3

Is it possible that one of the kids let the dogs in before you left or you only think you left them all outside? I once let the dogs out before bed and I thought I got them all back in. I went to sleep and the next morning I realized I had forgotten one outside. 

Was it storming? If so could lightening cause the alarm to sound? My neighbor's does on occasion when there is an electrical storm. Did you contact the alarm company (I assume you have a company like ADT) to see where the alarm was triggered?

Also, get rid of the microwave. Could be dangerous if it starts working on its own. 

• Like 1

We did call the alarm company.  I will get rid of the microwave.  We did not leave the dogs inside.  They were all outside and we checked the back door to make sure that it was locked before we left.  I almost feel like I'm being ridiculed for posting.  Like I said in my original post, I don't know what's happening.  I wanted to post to try to get help.  I know that a lot of people don't believe in this kind of thing.  Honestly, I would have never repeated this story if there had not been four other witnesses. 

• Like 1

Some of us just like to get as much info as possible and try to find non-paranormal answers. 

• Like 1

Hi scepticalbutscared,  don't feel dismissed if people look for 'normal' explanations, firstly because that's where the explanations will come from, and secondly don't forget everyone here has an interest in this type of thing wherever they see the likely explanations coming from. Lastly, everyone, like despite being a total sceptic I did last night, can spook themselves. 

22 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

On Saturday, we took our boys to a sporting event.  We left our house around 5:45 pm and at 6:45 we received a call from our neighbor that our alarm was going off.  We didn't think much about it and assumed that our kitten had climbed the curtains and had knocked them down and caused the alarm to go off.  On our way home it was pouring down rain and we had left our three dogs outside, so we discussed grabbing towels as soon as we got home to dry them off and we would make sure they had a good treat.  We get home, unlock the door, and two out of our three dogs are in the house!!

So, your alarm went off which may or may not indicate that some activity went on in your house, unless your alarm is wonky. This could either be two of your dogs getting into the house, or waking/doing something inside the house to trigger the alarm. As to whether they could have got in, you're the one best placed to answer that. Other than that the two remaining options are, someone let them in, or they were never put out in the first place. Absent mindedness is a key human feature, besides which who's job was it to put them out, did one of you think another had, you say you wee taking boys to a sporting event, stuff to get ready, maybe running late...easy to forget about the dogs. 

Further questions would be, how long after you left the house did it start to rain, and were there any muddy paw prints in the house, were the two dogs inside the house wet, and did the alarm go off before or after the rain, also where was your kitten when you came back? Most importantly, why would you have noted any of these? 

22 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

One dog is still outside.  The doors are all still locked!  My husband had been married before me and his wife passed away in our house from brain cancer.  I am now step-mom to their two sons.  The two dogs that were inside were hers...the one that was left outside was mine.

If it's a question of them getting in, then the reason your dog was left outside might just be the result of the social dynamics amongst dogs. They're social animals, are clicky, have hierarchies, and favourites, and crucially behave very differently in a group when outside of human supervision. Main thing to remember is that the other two dogs have known each other longer, will have a deeper bond, and may regard your dog as an interloper onto their territory. As I say, this may only come out when they're alone and not under your direct influence. 

23 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

Yesterday (Monday evening) I went over to start dinner for the boys.  There's a microwave above our stove that hasn't worked for years.  In fact, my husband and his previous wife called a repair man and he said that they would just have to purchase a new one.  It's been used as storage since then.  Once I started dinner one of our boys said that the microwave was on...it works perfectly now.

Was it plugged in? But really electrical appliances have a life of their own, they can be dead one day and work the next and contrawise. The only people who can give you and explanation would be an engineer, but honestly, I'd just bin it. 

23 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

Am I paranoid?  Is this even plausible?  I don't know. 

You're not paranoid you sound perfectly normal, although with your hands full with two children, three dogs and a cat. And what you've described is perfectly plausible and you sound very much so too, what isn't plausible though is the idea that there's anything 'paranormal' going on. Especially involving your husband's late ex wife. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

We did call the alarm company.  I will get rid of the microwave.  We did not leave the dogs inside.  They were all outside and we checked the back door to make sure that it was locked before we left.  I almost feel like I'm being ridiculed for posting.  Like I said in my original post, I don't know what's happening.  I wanted to post to try to get help.  I know that a lot of people don't believe in this kind of thing.  Honestly, I would have never repeated this story if there had not been four other witnesses. 

You're not being ridiculed. But it is, admittedly, exasperating when people jump to paranormal conclusions, rather than investigate the practical, more logical causes. And it's exasperating because in failing to do the latter, they sometimes place themselves and their families at risk.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, skepticalbutscared said:

I believe you.

Don't be scared to be alone. Instead simply send positive energy to the people and pets involved.

That is the symbolism of the alarm that there is danger of people who are hurting and were hurting in the past.

The reason your pet was left out is because it is a message for you to do your part in helping heal.

Just breath quietly from time to time and desire all who feel or felt left out can now enter into the shelter of grace.

Be well.