Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need Help With Achieving Astral Projection

IAmSober

Hi there, my name is IAmSober and I am currently spending my 4th month in a rehabilitation center. I have been meditating without instruction for over a month now and I have come to really appreciate what it has done for my anger, anxiety and depression. I have recently come across the magical concept of astral projection. I say magical because meditation alone has brought magic back into my life. I have read a few guides and watched a few youtube videos explaining the process but to no avail. Basically my current method is this:

1) I always listen to theta waves (binaural beats).

2) I listen to these until my eyes get heavy and I don't have to force my eyelids closed (they usually flicker in the beginning).

3) I bring my focus to the feelings in my body by scanning myself from head to toe.

4) I focus on my breathing. When breathing out I imagine the sensation of falling.

5) I reach a state where my thoughts are far and few, my binaural beats have become a lot more quiet, most of my body is numb (and tingles) and my heart is going at a rapid pace.

6) I wait for these so called "vibrations" which have not come yet.

7) I stay in this state and attempt a few exits before finally taking off my headphones and rolling over to sleep.

Step 2 to 5 usually takes from 30 minutes to an hour

I spend 30 minutes to an hour on steps 6 and 7

Please could somebody with some experience, or with similar experiences, explain to me what I might be doing wrong here or what techniques I should add/remove from my list? I am open to any and all suggestions. Attaining astral projection has become somewhat of a hobby now and I thought maybe by providing my "unique" experience to you it could perhaps give for some insight as to what needs to, or to not, be done. 

I look forward to your responses :-)

- IAmSober

• Like 1

New Step 6) Imagine a ball of energy somewhere in your chest or below.

Feel it grow. Find others in the same area. Then juggle them when you can feel them for fun. Or just skip to moving them up and down, in and out, below you, through you, then above you.

Tell us what happens next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I hide behind words said:

New Step 6) Imagine a ball of energy somewhere in your chest or below.

Feel it grow. Find others in the same area. Then juggle them when you can feel them for fun. Or just skip to moving them up and down, in and out, below you, through you, then above you.

Tell us what happens next.

I will give this a go! Thank you for the quick reply. Will update ASAP with results :-).

• Like 1

Btw chest or below = heart chakra (lungs and heart area) down to solar plexus (stomach).

Likely both are necessry to make the energy ball if you are like me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IAmSober said:

Hi there, my name is IAmSober and I am currently spending my 4th month in a rehabilitation center. I have been meditating without instruction for over a month now and I have come to really appreciate what it has done for my anger, anxiety and depression. I have recently come across the magical concept of astral projection. I say magical because meditation alone has brought magic back into my life. I have read a few guides and watched a few youtube videos explaining the process but to no avail.

Astral projections are, quite simply, 'dreams' that occur during sleep paralysis or lucid dreaming. They are not real.

If you want to experience an OBE, you will have to dream it, and the only way to do that, is (1) wait for it to happen naturally (which it might never), or you can induce a state of sleep conducive to it. If you decide to take the latter route, here's an article with some tips on how to go about having wake induced lucid dreams. There are numerous other such articles on the internet.

I would caution you, however, in that the brain is a funny, unpredictable thing and anything can happen. Your experience might prove to be more nightmarish than pleasant, so consider yourself forewarned. Meditation has a great many positive effects and I am glad it's helped you as much as it has. Lucid dreaming and astral projection may be a step backwards, so be careful.

I wish you all the best and a full recovery.

• Like 1

I am more prone to astral project when i have my fan off. My room would be completely silent.and id go meditate  around the middle of the day. 

------------------------------------

After step 5

maybe try breathing in and out .as you breath in, imagine your self going upward. like youre raising your vibration .

Id like to give you advice .when astral projection you can end up in the lower realms so remember to raise your vibration always .

Goooodluckkkk:P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Claire. said:

Astral projections are, quite simply, 'dreams' that occur during sleep paralysis or lucid dreaming. They are not real.

If you want to experience an OBE, you will have to dream it, and the only way to do that, is (1) wait for it to happen naturally (which it might never), or you can induce a state of sleep conducive to it. If you decide to take the latter route, here's an article with some tips on how to go about having wake induced lucid dreams. There are numerous other such articles on the internet.

I would caution you, however, in that the brain is a funny, unpredictable thing and anything can happen. Your experience might prove to be more nightmarish than pleasant, so consider yourself forewarned. Meditation has a great many positive effects and I am glad it's helped you as much as it has. Lucid dreaming and astral projection may be a step backwards, so be careful.

I wish you all the best and a full recovery.

I have developed strengths when it comes to transforming the negative manifestations of my mind into positive ones. I have done a copious amount of psychedelics and I have a theory that I will be able to direct the tone of my experience as I would when using DMT or something of the same intensity. I guess time will tell. Thank you for your advice!

Edited by IAmSober
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

Btw chest or below = heart chakra (lungs and heart area) down to solar plexus (stomach).

Likely both are necessry to make the energy ball if you are like me.

I woke up at 5 this morning, read through a magazine for 15 minutes and attempted this. To my surprise I managed to get into the sleep paralysis stage but soon woke up due to the hooting of some cars outside :-(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orangiestgirl said:

I am more prone to astral project when i have my fan off. My room would be completely silent.and id go meditate  around the middle of the day. 

After step 5

maybe try breathing in and out .as you breath in, imagine your self going upward. like youre raising your vibration

Perhaps I should try remove the possible distraction from the binaural beats then.. I will attempt this new Step 5 and update ASAP :-) thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IAmSober said:

Perhaps I should try remove the possible distraction from the binaural beats then.. I will attempt this new Step 5 and update ASAP :-) thank you for the reply.

No problem tell me how it goes ~ :D

• Like 1

So I attempted to project again this afternoon but I couldn't get to the point where my body was asleep and my mind was awake. I started thinking after a while which woke me up unfortunately. Had to get to a lecture so didn't have time to attempt inducing another trance state. It is now 11 PM and I have set my alarm for 5:30 AM. Will do something for half an hour and give this another shot.

Still waiting for the vibrations and the loud noise I keep hearing about.

Shall post again in the morning

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAmSober said:

So I attempted to project again this afternoon but I couldn't get to the point where my body was asleep and my mind was awake. I started thinking after a while which woke me up unfortunately. Had to get to a lecture so didn't have time to attempt inducing another trance state. It is now 11 PM and I have set my alarm for 5:30 AM. Will do something for half an hour and give this another shot.

Still waiting for the vibrations and the loud noise I keep hearing about.

Shall post again in the morning

I never heard any loud noise. Nor did I try and fall asleep.

Relaxation doing mental energy exercises, for lack of a better term, is what is needed with the key point being relaxation.

If stressing over this even after the fact it will lessen relaxation in your next session. But even knowing that is a point of stress.

Also try and find your own technique without actually following any instruction from me down to a tee. As this is only general advice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

I never heard any loud noise. Nor did I try and fall asleep.

Relaxation doing mental energy exercises, for lack of a better term, is what is needed with the key point being relaxation.

If stressing over this even after the fact it will lessen relaxation in your next session. But even knowing that is a point of stress.

Also try and find your own technique without actually following any instruction from me down to a tee. As this is only general advice.

May I ask, when do you know you are ready for an exit attempt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmSober said:

May I ask, when do you know you are ready for an exit attempt?

It just happens. There is no moment I just decided OK now I will exit.

My father would practice martial arts and would imagine his fist going through a wall as he punched towards it.

So when striking at someone later it would be more impactful.

During the course of his exercise, wide-eyed and awake, he went into the astral.

Thus when I tried years later there was no intent to go to sleep or time the exit.

And it just happens. Meditate and it will happen. But know it is also a gift to eventually be used to help others while in the astral.

I know one who appeara on the scene after huge accidents or the like and others are there helping too. Unsure what all happens as I have not been chosen to have that gift. But if meant for you then you will maybe share with us one day.

If not maybe you will just use it to explore. Or if not then simply learn how to do it in order to help others.

It is all about your own heart calling and telling you how. Most we hear about astral were from the persistent who used it to explore but all their travels were so the healers could arise.

Of course the ancients also used it differently, perhaps to calculate the seasons, visit the stars, etc...

Maybe others have techniques involving timing?

I am certain you will astral for all that has led up to in your initial post is about healing and centering yourself. Stay within that frame my friend.

• Like 1

My most recent astral was last year and even though I did not remain awake that time, and my exit was in the basement of a building I was in a few floors up, and what I was seeing was not actually happening real time in the physical, it waa happening real time in the spiritual.

It gave me clues to where to direct my healing during healing sessions during my waking hours.

So astral might have various planes. That was the first time I visited that one.

My first attempt I exited above my bed. The windows were open and there was lots of wind. I was floating. I decided to come back and the windows were closed and no wind.

Once asleep I had an OOBE and I was again floating in another room. That one was real time and exactly as it was.

So maybe half sleep status or whatnot can be used to ammend my previous comment.

But the astral plane might be different than the physical one so astral projections and OOBE are not the same.

OOBE happens when asleep, being operated, or when losing conscious during an accident and all is as it seems as you remain in the physical plane and can hear and see what is still going on.

So just flow and let us know what you experience soon.

It will happen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

But the astral plane might be different than the physical one so astral projections and OOBE are not the same.

This is what I am coming to understand. Perhaps what I have been attempting is the concept of an OBE rather than astral projection. Perhaps I should do further research in regards to the differences.

I would love to have the gift to help others as you say. I have been given so much in life and returning some energy would be the least I want to do. Thank you so much for your replies as I now understand there is a lot more to this than I was initially thinking. I hear that each method differs from person to person.

I now wonder if it is better for me to plan what it is I want to accomplish through this experience however I believe at this moment this would be impossible to do without experiencing it first.

Could you recommend any practices I can implement in order to perhaps prepare? You spoke of chakras previously and this I do not know much about. I feel as though there is a key you and others possess that I do not if you understand what I mean.

Once again I thank you for your contribution friend.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IAmSober said:

This is what I am coming to understand. Perhaps what I have been attempting is the concept of an OBE rather than astral projection. Perhaps I should do further research in regards to the differences.

I would love to have the gift to help others as you say. I have been given so much in life and returning some energy would be the least I want to do. Thank you so much for your replies as I now understand there is a lot more to this than I was initially thinking. I hear that each method differs from person to person.

I now wonder if it is better for me to plan what it is I want to accomplish through this experience however I believe at this moment this would be impossible to do without experiencing it first.

Could you recommend any practices I can implement in order to perhaps prepare? You spoke of chakras previously and this I do not know much about. I feel as though there is a key you and others possess that I do not if you understand what I mean.

Once again I thank you for your contribution friend.

I did not know about chakras when I first learned.

My method for astral projection

All I knew was that Carlos Castaneda's books mentioned always walk with a backpack if having to carry anything. And slightly curve your fingers back allowing.

When I did that I coule feel my hand become heavy.

So I used that heaviness feeling and would lie down. Then I would begin tracing an outline of my body. As it went on one side of my arm and down the side of my ribs, all around back over my head and back to my right arm.

That was the goal at least. And when I would become distracted in mind I would just return to the last part that fely heavy.

(You already found your own method yo achieve the same.)

I then added in doing the energy balls which was a practice that just came to me before even knowing what energy balls were and to be honest I still have no idea as I never read about them.

So I drew on that.

Then knowing my father once astralled using a back and forth motion I decided to use the energy ball and push it out and back in, back and forth, and combining all three techniques I astraled for the first time.

I had no specific reason. I doubt you need one. Follow your heart. It will reveal all as far as your purpose.

Also remove any doubt or frustration of trying to achieve it.

You know it can be done.

You are close but might learn a thing or two innately as you try.

Chakras

Chakras are more than the seven Western method but I began using that one years later than all the above.

So we have the base (right above the groin but also the whole area down to where if sitting on a saw horse you would be balanced.) That whole area but it has nothing directly to do with your sexual drive or anything, that I know of.

The solar plexus (where people feel butterflies or anxiety aka the primordial mind or gut).

Another higher up that can be found right at or below the bottom of your rib cage, it is between the solar plexus and heart chakra.

The heart chakra but still centered not exactly to the side where the heart is at.

The throat chakra.

The third eye.

And crown which is the top of your dome.

Ok so now you can do this sitting in lotus position, sitting on a chair, standing, any place. And if you stop one part you can pick it up later.

So you will also begin to open them, ground yourself, cleanse each, and then connect to the positive (above your head skyward), and then close them.

To begin imagine the root chakra opening up and then connect it to the ground as if you are a tree rooted to the ground.

Some imagine a flower blossoming, among other ways to open, for me it is just a circle, I spiral it, I imagine it as a clogged pipe needing water, drilling, and circle and circle it until all cleansed and open. Sometimes I pretened I am flossing it. Water flowing through. Sometimes I use all the above so I am not the most efficient. It is all sensing it so I cannot really explain but you can feel the energy in the chakra.

Now rooted below to the ground and opening and cleansing the base chakra. I imagine a line going from there to the solar plexus. And beging opening it up while also cleansing it. Having to go back and forth, up and down that connecting line, to cleanse and open the path too, as if it was a clogged pipe again.

Then continue all this upward. And once all seven are connected and rooted, from the crown chakra I connect it upwards to whatver is above me, my zenith, without imagining sky really, or stars, but have done so before, usually it is more like a fountain of energy spouting all around the top of my head, sort of like when people do that head explode thing with both hands but without balling up the hand but just having an open palm and doing it

At least that is how I imagine it.

Then to close each I imagine a huge industrial like circular port and closing it using those handles that look like an X or a +.

And just turning it and turning it until it feels shut.

It used to take me a long time at first. Had so much ugliness, feelings, blockage, clogged up.

Then I got faster.

I recommend reading a more simple guide or two on it. As I tend to overcomplicate things and use many variations.

The one I told you about who meets other astral travellers to help other groups who need help, once I saw her against the edge of where two walls meet, and I was like "oh I sometimes do that to make my back feel better".

She told me ya but she was also doing her chakras. Wow in a matter of seconds she could do it lol.

Healing

I also realized we can do the chakras of others too.

If someone never speaks up or when they do they have trouble saying it right, it can be a clogged throat chakra. Doing it once or twice on them but also simply saying or writing it down "open your throat, speak, you can speak now" or some derivation of that among a few other personalized words also helps.

But that is my path of a low magic and folk healer. Sometimes some will come for help and you can do this with their knowledge.

Other times you can just see a problem and do a few workings. Just do not do any of this over and over and over for wr can begin the process but cannot finish it, Spirit working through others and them will.

By doing it over and over without end is manipulation if done without their knowledge, and if with their knowledge it is how those with gifts abuse them as some folk healers or psychics do for pay, so the results are temporary, and so they return and return.

It is the difference between a panicky "I hope they are healed, I hope they are healed, I hope they heal, etc" and a calmer and centered "be healed, healing find them".

True healing is done for good, a process yes, but after one is done we can move on and find another issue to work on and of course have proof of blessing and healing to be grateful to Spirit.

Of course all this is advice is meant for self. Heal thyself healer.

Others are rooting for you too and helping. But the final work is ours.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

A bit more about the primordial mind.

A primal connection exists between our brain and our gut. We often talk about a “gut feeling” when we meet someone for the first time. We’re told to “trust our gut instinct” when making a difficult decision or that it’s “gut check time” when faced with a situation that tests our nerve and determination. This mind-gut connection is not just metaphorical.

The enteric nervous system is often referred to as our body’s second brain. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-feelings-the-second-brain-in-our-gastrointestinal-systems-excerpt/

EVER wonder why people get "butterflies" in the stomach before going on stage? Or why an impending job interview can cause an attack of intestinal cramps? And why antidepressants targeted for the brain cause nausea or abdominal upset in millions of people who take such drugs?

The reason for these common experiences, scientists say, is that the body has two brains -- the familiar one encased in the skull and a lesser known but vitally important one found in the human gut. 

("Solar plexus" is actually a boxing term that refers simply to nerves in the abdomen.) 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1996/01/23/science/complex-and-hidden-brain-in-gut-makes-stomachaches-and-butterflies.html

The celiac plexus or coeliac plexus, also known as the solar plexus because of its radiating nerve fibers, is a complex network of nerves (a nerve plexus) located in the abdomen...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celiac_plexus

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

I really cannot thank you enough for trying to make sense of these concepts for me. I will definitely look more into cleansing my chakras. What you said about healing others in a healthy beneficial sense sounds most interesting to me! I will also take a look at the links you have provided so please assume that I am making the most out of what you have provided to me. I am going to attempt again in a while. Perhaps I should start a blog of some sort as to document my process. Something to think about I guess. As per usual I will update with my experience ASAP. Thanks again friend :-)

Edited by IAmSober
  • Like 1

This morning I had my first successful OBE. It was very short lived as the excitement awoke me. I got up and checked my phone but could not read the time for some reason. Everything was very blurred and I thought it was just from having sleepy eyes. When I went to turn my light on nothing was happening. I remember a scene in the movie Waking Life (totally recommend this) where flipping the light switch would have no effect in the dream world. Since then whenever I flip a light switch and nothing happens I count my fingers haha. Anyways I counted three very odd looking intertwining fingers and realised what was happening. I turned to my bed and saw myself and boom, back to my body. I woke up, or opened my eyes rather, to a rapid heart beat due to the excitement I assume.

What baffles me now is how will I ever know the difference between the experience of a lucid induced OBE or of astral projection. The deeper I go now the more questions I raise. It saddens me in a  way and I am trying to distance emotions from this all which is actually proving to be harder than I thought.

Edited by IAmSober
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IAmSober said:

This morning I had my first successful OBE. It was very short lived as the excitement awoke me. I got up and checked my phone but could not read the time for some reason. Everything was very blurred and I thought it was just from having sleepy eyes. When I went to turn my light on nothing was happening. I remember a scene in the movie Waking Life (totally recommend this) where flipping the light switch would have no effect in the dream world. Since then whenever I flip a light switch and nothing happens I count my fingers haha. Anyways I counted three very odd looking intertwining fingers and realised what was happening. I turned to my bed and saw myself and boom, back to my body. I woke up, or opened my eyes rather, to a rapid heart beat due to the excitement I assume.

What baffles me now is how will I ever know the difference between the experience of a lucid induced OBE or of astral projection. The deeper I go now the more questions I raise. It saddens me in a  way and I am trying to distance emotions from this all which is actually proving to be harder than I thought.

Attempting to quantify everything is a folly we might share.

Let it go with this for now, let go of sadness, this is a time to rejoice in the wonder with muted celebration and calm weirdness.

I am glad we could help you with this step. But you are the one who took it.

• Like 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I hide behind words said:

This good vibes :-)

Edited by IAmSober
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IAmSober said:

Congratulations ~~~! Lol and  be patient with yourself .  Hm i always identify an obe and astral projection experience as one in the same ... 

Obe is the state of leaving your body.

While astral projection is leaving your body to explore .

• Like 2