Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why whales grew to such monster sizes

Claire.

Why whales grew to such monster sizes

Weighing in at 200,000 kilograms and stretching the length of a basketball court, the blue whale is the biggest animal that’s ever lived. Now, scientists have figured out why they and other baleen whales got so huge.

Read more: ScienceMag.org

• Like 6

Interesting

• Like 1

So, with the onset of global warming, does that mean they'll eventually start to get smaller again? Stupid question,I know.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

So, with the onset of global warming, does that mean they'll eventually start to get smaller again? Stupid question,I know.

That doesn't strike me as being a stupid question. 

• Like 3

Just now, oldrover said:

That doesn't strike me as being a stupid question. 

Well, thank you, I'm glad. It sure felt stupid as I typed it! :wacko:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I'd worry about Fukushima, various oil spills, and pollution eventually having an affect. Radiation being a nasty one at that.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Well, thank you, I'm glad. It sure felt stupid as I typed it! :wacko:

As to the original question, who knows, probably yes. But then they might just go full stop. 

• Like 2

Just now, WoIverine said:

I'd worry about Fukushima, various oil spills, and pollution eventually having an affect. Radiation being a nasty one at that.

Well, with radiation and all of the other poisons we keep dumping into the oceans maybe they'll actually get bigger, and all sea life will start to mutate. Now there's a scary thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Future ghost said:

Well, with radiation and all of the other poisons we keep dumping into the oceans maybe they'll actually get bigger, and all sea life will start to mutate. Now there's a scary thought.

lol, no doubt.  Reminded me of this actually:

IT'Z GODZILLA!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Ask for some money to study that.  I'm sure you can get some.

The article stated "If you are big your cost of transport is also lower so you get more miles to the gallon." That certainly doesn't work with cars.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Ask for some money to study that.  I'm sure you can get some.

The article stated "If you are big your cost of transport is also lower so you get more miles to the gallon." That certainly doesn't work with cars.

Pretty sure that doesn't work with anything! Lol

54 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

lol, no doubt.  Reminded me of this actually:

IT'Z GODZILLA!

My thoughts exactly.

So what happened to Megledon? 2.6 mullion years ago was its last era, which something happened to Whales and Megledon.

• Like 1

Guest brizink

The size to miles per gallon ratio being in that favor of the bigger does work when you're either underwater and gravity has little to no affect on your physiology. It also works well for cold blooded animals, snakes and crocodiles are good examples. Much of their energy is stored and immediate energy needs are met by the heat from the sun or in some cases warm water and geothermal energy. It makes sense that bigger works better underwater. A well nourished adult blue whale can outrun a great white with little effort, just like how a giant from fantasy like Jack and the bean stalk can take a step or two and cover nearly a football field. It's simple mechanical advantage at work. Fins are levers, the bigger the lever the stronger the force. And as for your comment about cars, it does work for big trucks, they have to stop less because their large size can accommodate much more fuel. I drive a little Subaru and I have to stop a lot because despite getting about 36mpg, my tank only hold like 13 gallons, as where my Ford lightning has a 40gal tank and gets 17-22mpg, I still stop less to refuel in the truck.