Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why people kill animals for fun

Claire.

4 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I would! I'd probably also use poison ivy in the worst way possible,too. Not a nice way to go.

Damn that would be bad. I never thought of that.  I would shot a racoon and use that for ummm ya you know.  Oh damn then I have fleas ok need a re think. Always poop or pee in your case near a maple tree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

My folks years ago had a pig roast on a spit in the front yard. the entire pig cooked for hours. I couldn`t stop cutting off bits and eating it emmm I even had a bit of ear, a bit crispy so I gave it to the dog. The hooves were the tough part ;)

Ugh. I used to work at a country club, and every year they'd have a pig roast. I would see the dead pig in the cooler, then later on the spit,complete with the apple in its mouth. I'm still traumatized.

Just now, Future ghost said:

Ugh. I used to work at a country club, and every year they'd have a pig roast. I would see the dead pig in the cooler, then later on the spit,complete with the apple in its mouth. I'm still traumatized.

But I bet it tasted good

6 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Damn that would be bad. I never thought of that.  I would shot a racoon and use that for ummm ya you know.  Oh damn then I have fleas ok need a re think. Always poop or pee in your case near a maple tree.

I've heard squirrels are softer. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Noooo they are stringy and tough to chew. I didn`t want to admit that but I grew up in the bush and everything was food.

Oh wait a sec you ment tp lol  now I feel embarrassed

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

But I bet it tasted good

The rich folks sure thought so. Probably the same people who hunt big game, when they're not golfing that is.

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

Noooo they are stringy and tough to chew. I didn`t want to admit that but I grew up in the bush and everything was food.

Whatever you decide to use it for, make sure to marinate it first.

• Like 1

Just now, Future ghost said:

Whatever you decide to use it for, make sure to marinate it first.

and make sure it`s dead

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

The rich folks sure thought so. Probably the same people who hunt big game, when they're not golfing that is.

I`m bad at both

7 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Wait a second, nobody would tell you they did that, so emmmm I think you went to camping class. not quit the same butt

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I`m bad at both

I might be able to use my horrible golf swing as an effective hunting weapon, especially if something is in the water. Or the grass. Or the trees....you get the idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Future ghost said:

I might be able to use my horrible golf swing as an effective hunting weapon, especially if something is in the water. Or the grass. Or the trees....you get the idea.

I hit a Canada goose once golfing. The funny thing is that I was aiming at it ok maybe not funny. I never thought I would hit it in a million years. I got a goose in one.

8 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Wait a second, nobody would tell you they did that, so emmmm I think you went to camping class. not quit the same butt

No,lol. I had a pet squirrel when I was little, so I know they're soft. I wouldn't even try to touch a raccoon, especially not one from Canada- I hear they're huge! :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I hit a Canada goose once golfing. The funny thing is that I was aiming at it ok maybe not funny. I never thought I would hit it in a million years. I got a goose in one.

That's terrible! But in your defense, it's kind of hard not to hit a goose on a golf course, isn't it? They're everywhere.

1 minute ago, Future ghost said:

No,lol. I had a pet squirrel when I was little, so I know they're soft. I wouldn't even try to touch a raccoon, especially not one from Canada- I hear they're huge! :lol:

I could go so all over with your post here.  I try to stay away from racoons, I usually end up with skanks I mean skunks. Some are soft and some are not ;) I would love to hear more about your squirrel though. I grabbed a chipmunk once and it bit me.

5 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

That's terrible! But in your defense, it's kind of hard not to hit a goose on a golf course, isn't it? They're everywhere.

Well I kinda made that up, I hit the guy in front of me.

I am a carnivorous beast. Unlike so many today I accept that fact and own it. I kill animals and eat them and don't require someone else to do it for me. I've hunted, killed and eaten just about everything there is where I live that is eatable. I've also raised rabbits, pigs, cattle, chickens ducks, quail and goats and killed and eaten them too. Don't kid yourself. even if you are vegan you have blood on your hands. When they clear a field to grow you your veggies animals are displaced and die. All life continues to some extent on top of the deaths of others...even plants. 

Unless you want to be eaten and your kids to be prey for predators then they are going to have to be kept thinned out. When you take out the predators you then have to balance the prey animals or they will massively over populate and become problems when they start eating our crops. People either have to become part of the cycle as prey or you join it as a predator. Myself, I'm at the top of the food chain and plan on staying there. 

I like animals a lot. I feed them and care for them and consider cruelty to an animal like child abuse and thing those people need to be neutered. Kids seem to be born with a cruel streak but you out grow it as you get a little older. For many of us hunting is a bonding and tradition thing. In Texas boys and girls start hunting young and often carry it on for their entire lives. Many move into bow hunting and hunting with muzzle loading weapons to make it more interesting. 

You know, any activity that you don't do, like and care about is pretty stupid to the rest of the people. Chasing a ball back and forth on a court or up and down fairways has always seemed a massive waste of time to me. My wife and I love to play cards but my daughters hate it and are bored by it. The thing is I don't want to deny golfers their hobby. Hunting is a necessary thing. Someone has to kill the animals or they will overpopulate...or we will have to kill off a lot of people, return the land to natural and let the natural predators eat them and some of us. 

Let me tell you a little bit about African big game hunting. I have a close friend that is big on it. He has a full set of the big African predators and prey including three elephants, a lion, leopard, rhino, water buffalo, hippo, and all the pretty antelope/gazelle type of animals. It isn't at all like you think. Every one of the elephants was rogue or part of a herd that had gotten to big and was pretty much terrorizing the locals. Each one cost him many thousands of dollars for the pleasure of that hunt. When he killed them he was a hero to the locals and they were thrilled to reclaim at least part of their lost crops in elephant meat. NOTHING is wasted and what isn't eaten or used in the mounts is turned into arts and crafts that are sold by the locals. The hunter usually takes the ivory and the tails. My friend took one set of legs for an elephand leg table in his trophy room amd took one heah. Everything else is gathered and used by the natives. PLUS they get part of his fees. 

The lion he killed was a massive older male that had lost his pride and had become dangerous. Males are not the hunters in the lion kingdom. When they get beat and thrown out of a pride they often start eating domestic stock and then as they age may decide people are easier to catch. The hippo was a mean SOB that was responsible for several deaths. The leopard was eating livestock and either a hunter could pay to hunt it or a native was going to kill it. 

Wayne only paid to kill two. The third was wounded by another hunter that refused to go into the bush to find and finish the kill. My friend went in and took it down both to stop it from suffering and to prevent it going mad and killing natives. An elephant can sneak up on a man and kill him before he even knows they are around. Their feet are like they are walking on pillows and make almost no noise when they are moving.

My friend is a good man. He worked hard for his money and deserves to enjoy the fruits of his labors. He has also been to several of the East African countries and Russia as part of a charitable assistance program to help people get businesses started up. He tithes, is very active in his church and is as sweet a person as you would ever want to know. He ks actually one of t he few people that I have ever known that actually has money and has used it well to enjoy his life and help his kids to be successful people in their own right. His son is a West Point graduate and his daughter has a PHD in special education. Both are doing what they dreamed of doing. 

In parting my friend says that there is no thrill like letting a big bull elephant turn and start his charge before you fire and hope you don't miss. 

On 5/24/2017 at 9:46 AM, Future ghost said:

Yep, that about sums it up. I'm not buying the whole big game hunting equals wildlife conservation bit, either. It may have started off with good intentions, but I can see that money being diverted into some crooks pocket. Aren't all roads to hell paved with good intentions? Just leave the animals alone and they'll do fine on their own- without our money, or " help" with conservation.

Well I am not so sure this is true anymore.  I listened to a Radio Lab on NPR about this a while back.  A guy paid a crazy amount of money for a rhino hunt.  He knew where the money was going, to fund the park.   The animal he was allowed to hunt was an old male past the age of fertility that had killed a young female and two young males. The meat went to the village of the wardens.  Before listening, I was of the opinion of Future Ghost about big game hunts.  Now, I think there are two sides to the story.  

I live in a part of Oregon where people fill their freezers and feed their families on animals they hunt or animals they raise and slaughter.    Many of those folk just love being in the woods and mountains.  I go out sometimes but it has been 30 ears since I carried a gun.  I have a good income and can buy groceries, I don't need to kill, but I like to be out.  I respect people that don't hunt or wish to kill, ( Claire, there  are enough wild plants to sustain you) and I respect people that do hunt with a proper attitude.  Taking any life is not a trivial matter.

• Like 1