Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why people kill animals for fun

Claire.

2 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Whew! For a minute there I thought I would have to ask what kind of messed up culls you do in Canada! Lol

Well sometimes a farmer or hunter does get shot. Have I been spelling kull wrong this whole time. I think I have. I go camping in the back country from time to time and hear gun shots and go hmmm I hope I don`t look like a moose.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

I'm against harming animals for all reasons other than for survival purposes. At the very least, if an animal is hunted, it should be consumed, not mounted as a trophy.

I shot a tree and it`s still mounted. It will be my best hunt ever and out live me but it`s not going anywhere.  I went deep sea fishing years ago and got a real nice sized sailfish. I thought we would just release it but the guides said nope.  I kinda felt bad until I figured out it was to feed there familey.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Big game animals are not food that I know of. It's just a waste of life for bragging rights. If hunting is done in a responsible manner, the animals are not left to suffer needlessly, and the meat is harvested and not left to waste, I can understand it. Do I like it? No. But I can accept it.

Very fair response.

I'm not sure what the proportion of big game animals are that are eaten, poached, or trophy hunted. By the way trophy hunting makes me sick. But I think the big problem isn't so much the rich ********* although there are more than you'd think, but the really poor people at the other end. 

I've always loathed the idea of the hunting for conservation idea but have/had been pragmatic about it. If you've got terrible poverty and loads of conservation resources by passing the people, you're going to get poaching. Whereas the proponents of sport hunting seem to be saying, that it's only a few animals at extortionate prices which do get back to the local communities. Sounds acceptable to me anyway, but if that is true then why are the big game rifle companies of England flourishing? Westley Richards are going strong, so are Holland and Holland, and Rigby have recently come back into business. Must be a lot more of it going on than we realise. 

I don't know what the answer is. 

• Like 4

Just now, glorybebe said:

And the true hunters do it also to be out in nature.  It is being immersed in nature.  Personally I couldn't kill animals.  Maybe if I was absolutely starving, but never been in that position.

Nope, I couldn't do it even if I was starving to death. I would have to find something else to eat, like grass or leaves. I'm such a wimp I couldn't even Fish. I will eat meat that someone else killed, as long as it doesn't resemble the animal it used to be, but I couldn't do it myself. No way.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I went deep sea fishing years ago and got a real nice sized sailfish. I thought we would just release it but the guides said nope.  I kinda felt bad until I figured out it was to feed there familey.

I caught a shark OK it was a dogfish and smaller than this text , but! I did release it and it bit me! Don't feel bad. 

• Like 2

Ok I thought this was pretty funny.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

lol, I read some angry tweets about that one. Made my morning.

11 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I caught a shark OK it was a dogfish and smaller than this text , but! I did release it and it bit me! Don't feel bad. 

My pet Python bit me once but how do you punish a snake let alone a fish lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

My pet Python bit me once but how do you punish a snake let alone a fish lol

Use pathos, they can't stand that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Use pathos, they can't stand that. 

I tried that, she didn`t listen :D oh you ment the snake, it didn`t listen as well.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

Just now, oldrover said:

Very fair response.

I'm not sure what the proportion of big game animals are that are eaten, poached, or trophy hunted. By the way trophy hunting makes me sick. But I think the big problem isn't so much the rich ********* although there are more than you'd think, but the really poor people at the other end. 

I've always loathed the idea of the hunting for conservation idea but have/had been pragmatic about it. If you've got terrible poverty and loads of conservation resources by passing the people, you're going to get poaching. Whereas the proponents of sport hunting seem to be saying, that it's only a few animals at extortionate prices which do get back to the local communities. Sounds acceptable to me anyway, but if that is true then why are the big game rifle companies of England flourishing? Westley Richards are going strong, so are Holland and Holland, and Rigby have recently come back into business. Must be a lot more of it going on than we realise. 

I don't know what the answer is. 

I wish I knew the answer, but I don't think hunting for conservation is it. Has poverty been lessened by it so far? Has poaching been reduced? It does sound good in theory, but that's as far as it goes. Cash is king everywhere, and I can see the officials who are supposed to be protecting these animals pocketing the money and letting hunters possibly even take more than one animal, or letting poachers do what they want. They're looking out for number one-themselves-and will turn a blind eye for the right price.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I wish I knew the answer, but I don't think hunting for conservation is it. Has poverty been lessened by it so far? Has poaching been reduced? It does sound good in theory, but that's as far as it goes. Cash is king everywhere, and I can see the officials who are supposed to be protecting these animals pocketing the money and letting hunters possibly even take more than one animal, or letting poachers do what they want. They're looking out for number one-themselves-and will turn a blind eye for the right price.

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Ha ha! Too funny! But.....are people really that stupid?

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

"It's fun" :hmm:

"It's tradition" is the worst excuse ever for doing something. Can you not think for yourself? Let's keep the good traditions and let the bad ones go.

It is fun getting out into the woods. It is tradition when you have been taken out hunting with your Grandfather, Father and Uncles. A very large part of hunting is just getting away from everything and being out in nature. I have watched 50 times as many deer walk by my stand then I have taken. 

Yes, I can think for myself. I understand some people don't like to see or hear about any hunting at all and I can respect, but you don't need to get p***y about it. You say " let's keep the good traditions and let the bad ones go", but who gave you the authority to say what's good or bad.  Peace.

19 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Ha ha! Too funny! But.....are people really that stupid?

YES, unfortunately they are. And they are the ones who think they are the smart ones.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Why not said:

YES, unfortunately they are. And they are the ones who think they are the smart ones.

Scary yes,  This weekend I`m going vampire hunting with Buffy but i hear they are pretty rare so wish me luck. I meen with Buffy :D

3 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Nope, I couldn't do it even if I was starving to death. I would have to find something else to eat, like grass or leaves. I'm such a wimp I couldn't even Fish. I will eat meat that someone else killed, as long as it doesn't resemble the animal it used to be, but I couldn't do it myself. No way.

That's why I know which mushrooms and berries are edible.  They are a safer bet to find also.  It is not always a guarantee that an animal would come along

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

That's why I know which mushrooms and berries are edible.  They are a safer bet to find also.  It is not always a guarantee that an animal would come along

I really should learn the difference between edible and poisonous plants. It would be a good skill to have. As it is now, I'll pick the poison berries and mushrooms every single time, without fail. On the bright side, at least I wouldn't starve to death.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Thats why a steak never looks like a cow :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Hmmm a mushroom blue berry grass gopher salad. Not sure but again hmmm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I really should learn the difference between edible and poisonous plants. It would be a good skill to have. As it is now, I'll pick the poison berries and mushrooms every single time, without fail. On the bright side, at least I wouldn't starve to death.

You would poop to death :lol:

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

Thats why a steak never looks like a cow :D

And that's exactly why I don't eat cow, I eat steak, and even that's beginning to disgust me!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

You would poop to death :lol:

I would! I'd probably also use poison ivy in the worst way possible,too. Not a nice way to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Why not said:

It is fun getting out into the woods. It is tradition when you have been taken out hunting with your Grandfather, Father and Uncles. A very large part of hunting is just getting away from everything and being out in nature. I have watched 50 times as many deer walk by my stand then I have taken. 

Yes, I can think for myself. I understand some people don't like to see or hear about any hunting at all and I can respect, but you don't need to get p***y about it. You say " let's keep the good traditions and let the bad ones go", but who gave you the authority to say what's good or bad.  Peace.

Just because your grandfather, father and  uncles did something doesn't mean to say it's okay. Can you not simply go hiking/camping out in Nature? Why do you want the taking-of-life element?

I wasn't aware of being p***y about the subject of the thread ........ unless you simply don't like hearing a view opposite to your own. Does that count as being p***y?

In your heart you should know what's 'good' or 'bad' ......... you need no other 'authority'.

3 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

And that's exactly why I don't eat cow, I eat steak, and even that's beginning to disgust me!

My folks years ago had a pig roast on a spit in the front yard. the entire pig cooked for hours. I couldn`t stop cutting off bits and eating it emmm I even had a bit of ear, a bit crispy so I gave it to the dog. The hooves were the tough part ;)

• Like 1