Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zero-emission fossil fuel power invented

Claire.

Goodbye smokestacks: Startup invents zero-emission fossil fuel power

Between the energy hub of Houston, Texas, and the Gulf Coast lies a sprawling petropolis: a sea of refineries and oil storage tanks, power lines, and smokestacks, all dedicated to converting fossil fuels into dollars. They are the reason why the Houston area emits more carbon dioxide (CO2) than anyplace else in the United States.

Read more: ScienceMag.org

I read the title and was wondering how that would be possible. So they are not actually zero emission, but they are capturing the emissions for storage.

• 2 weeks later...

If people don't like the Texas CO2 emissions why don't they park their cars and trucks and stop heating their homes with heating fuel. That way they wouldn't have to buy any of our nasty old oil products. When we quit refining our own oil here and have to import the finished product then get ready to pay $10.00 a gallon for gasoline and living in homes during the winter with your thermostat set on 45. Since nuclear power is not allowed if you eliminate all of the carbon based heating systems that run power plants then the lights will go out. 

Contrary to peoples ideas, putting the American oil industry out of business will not fix anything. All it will do is move where the work is done and who makes the money for doing it. I bet China would love to take over as THE worlds refinery center. I'm SURE that they would do it ever so much cleaner than us...Oh that's right their air is already so bad that they have to close schools rather than have the kids go out into it. You know they live on the same planet that we do. I don't think in the long run it would help anyone as far as the environment. 

Edited by DanL
  • Like 1

No one is going to put anyone out of business, as long as they are necessary. Like passenger railroads and ocean lines, every dog has it's day. 

The oil industry will not disappear until we have something like Star Trek replicators that make things out of pure energy. We need to stop burning it because it is too valuable to just burn. Look around you where ever you are and visualize what would be left if you removed every piece of plastic. The many chemicals other than gasoline and home heating fuel are musts if we want to maintain our current life styles. Burning oil is somewhat like bleeding a person who is sick. At one time we didn't know any better but now we do and need to change.