Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amityville horror

UM-Bot

I thought this was long ago debunked.

• Like 3

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:21 PM, ChaosRose said:

Know-it-alls saying it didn't happen isn't debunking,  just opinion.

:)

• Like 2

On 5/27/2017 at 1:21 AM, ChaosRose said:

It was. I know this story well, not because I watched the film, but i have read much about it. 

The Lutz took advantage of a very tragic event and Jay Anson made a very tidy some The house was never haunted,

I can not see what there is to investigate here, especially when they are going down this route and really? Paul Eno: ridiculous!!!!

But is it so easy to simply scoff at Defeo’s claim to have been an unwitting agent for the devil? Could it possibly be that Defeo was telling the truth of what happened? - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=307971#sthash.47quc5sC.dpuf

Casreel = 

Show some respect for those who were murdered here in such tragic circumstances FFS!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gary Meadows said:

i think she meant the alleged paranormal activities were debunked - not the murders.

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

i think she meant the alleged paranormal activities were debunked - not the murders.

Yes. Debunked by people who think they know everything.  No real proof either way.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

Yes. Debunked by people who think they know everything.  No real proof either way.

Tons of proof, actually. Like the people who made it up admitting that they made it up. It's not just a hoax, it's an admitted haox and has been for many many years. 

Also, no incidents ever from other owners after the Lutzes

Pretty much all the things the Lutzes claimed never happened. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

No real proof? 

L6pfcnajTYW3fRRrl_qUgWKSDFduKtsIPdaVRE1U

THIS :

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Tons of proof, actually. Like the people who made it up admitting that they made it up. It's not just a hoax, it's an admitted haox and has been for many many years. 

Also, no incidents ever from other owners after the Lutzes

Pretty much all the things the Lutzes claimed never happened. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 8:47 AM, UM-Bot said:

Sean Casteel investigates what might lie behind the infamous Amityville horror case.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=307971

That was an interesting article. I like that the author starts with Amityville, but then goes on into other cases and comparisons. The Gef case is a fun one. I'm not too sure about the UFO part though, lol.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:00 PM, Gary Meadows said:

Nah, it was an admitted hoax. 

Over and over, both big claims and small details were refuted by eyewitnesses, investigations, and forensic evidence. Still, the Lutzes stuck to their story, reaping tens of thousands of dollars from the book and film rights.

The truth behind The Amityville Horror was finally revealed when Butch DeFeo’s lawyer, William Weber, admitted that he, along with the Lutzes, “created this horror story over many bottles of wine.” The house was never really haunted; the horrific experiences they had claimed were simply made up. Jay Anson further embellished the tale for his book, and by the time the film’s screenwriters had adapted it, any grains of truth that might have been there were long gone. While the Lutzes profited handsomely from their story, Weber had planned to use the haunting to gain a new trial for his client. George Lutz reportedly still claims that the events are mostly true, but has offered no evidence to back up his claim.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIwNmDpZ7UAhVRxCYKHaVJAgYQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snopes.com%2Fhorrors%2Fghosts%2Famityville.asp&usg=AFQjCNGUsC9ylLIzAJL8cjaqnX6GGz3t9g&sig2=Alyko3ItdCiEegRnhBpMEQ

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Nah, it was an admitted hoax. 

Over and over, both big claims and small details were refuted by eyewitnesses, investigations, and forensic evidence. Still, the Lutzes stuck to their story, reaping tens of thousands of dollars from the book and film rights.

The truth behind The Amityville Horror was finally revealed when Butch DeFeo’s lawyer, William Weber, admitted that he, along with the Lutzes, “created this horror story over many bottles of wine.” The house was never really haunted; the horrific experiences they had claimed were simply made up. Jay Anson further embellished the tale for his book, and by the time the film’s screenwriters had adapted it, any grains of truth that might have been there were long gone. While the Lutzes profited handsomely from their story, Weber had planned to use the haunting to gain a new trial for his client. George Lutz reportedly still claims that the events are mostly true, but has offered no evidence to back up his claim.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIwNmDpZ7UAhVRxCYKHaVJAgYQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snopes.com%2Fhorrors%2Fghosts%2Famityville.asp&usg=AFQjCNGUsC9ylLIzAJL8cjaqnX6GGz3t9g&sig2=Alyko3ItdCiEegRnhBpMEQ

Obviously I have not done my research. 

21 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

Obviously I have not done my research. 

Hey, it was a cool story. I remember reading it as a kid. But they just made a whole bunch of money off of it, and it was a scam. 

Scary looking house and story, though. I remember thinking those windows looked like eyes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Hey, it was a cool story. I remember reading it as a kid. But they just made a whole bunch of money off of it, and it was a scam. 

Scary looking house and story, though. I remember thinking those windows looked like eyes. 

The windows give me chills to this day.

• Like 1

I haven't enough interest to research the Amityville case but the Bell Witch reference in one of the links looks terrifying.  Has IT been disproven?  

I've never read the book, so forgive this question, but I was always under the impression that the book and all related movies (there's yet another coming out at the end of this month) were about the Lutzes and their alleged experiences. I didn't think the murders were ever discussed in depth. 

11 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

I've never read the book, so forgive this question, but I was always under the impression that the book and all related movies (there's yet another coming out at the end of this month) were about the Lutzes and their alleged experiences. I didn't think the murders were ever discussed in depth. 

To my understanding the Amityville Horror franchise is just about the Lutzes. The book from the OP article covers the DeFeo murders, Lutzes, and a bunch of other cases in and around the possession realm.

@rashore this is what confused me:

The egregious murders were chronicled in both a bestselling book and a major Hollywood studio movie and have become, pardon the pun, a “household name”: The Amityville Horror. 

For the movie, a superstructure was built around the outside to make it look like the home in Amityville, the house actually looks like any other round there. 

13 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

@rashore this is what confused me:

Understandable confusion. It's been a long time since I read the original book, so I figured my memory might be rusty. I just double checked- The story is based around the Lutzes, but the DeFeo's are mentioned a lot through the book, including a brief preface of it. Quick google book search: https://books.google.com/books?id=NGADV7J25ggC&pg=PA1&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q=defeo&f=false

• Like 1

Yeah I believe Ronald was just on drugs and those drugs made him think he was hearing voices.