Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some snakes are now known to hunt in packs

UM-Bot

Amazing, yet terrifying.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about it ... unless the snakes start getting the tools to tear prey apart so that all can get some semblance of an equal share I don;t see this going anywhere near reality anytime soon ...

~

• Like 1

Maybe instead of hunting in a pack, they are merely spaced a certain distance apart giving the appearance of cooperative behavior. 

• Like 2

This isn't new information. Snow Snakes are known to hunt in packs and their venom can freeze your blood.

It's hard to catch them with a camera because their camouflage is just too good. 

snow-snake.jpg

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

You used to be fun.

I'm still fun...I just happen to know a great deal about wildlife (was my first job out of college).

• Like 1

I've never really considered reptiles as pack hunters before, is there some kind of communication involved or just the shear weight of numbers that make them a more successful hunter when in a pack? Either way, I wouldn't want to be on a plane with them

• Like 1

I don't think its much of a pack strategy, much more of a mob mentality  ... not unlike a lynching mob with an appetite for a feeding free for all ...

~

• Like 2

Racer snakes chase baby iguanas en mass on beaches but whether they are hunting as a pack or just each snake out for what it can get for itself is not clear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Racer snakes chase baby iguanas en mass on beaches but whether they are hunting as a pack or just each snake out for what it can get for itself is not clear.

This

Pretty amazing to watch

• Like 4