Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An article on my blog

kmt_sesh

I have a blog on WordPress where I write primarily about ancient Near East history and combating the fringe and other aspects of junk science. But as some members of UM know by now, last November I ended up in the hospital because of kidney failure. Today I officially finished pretty intense training for a form of home dialysis, so I wrote an article on my blog about my whole experience with kidney failure. I'm hoping readers can learn from my own experiences and mistakes with my health. I thought I would post a link to that article here:

Reality interrupted

Please ket me know if you have questions. I'm pretty honest about these matters. Thanks.

Kmt so sorry to hear about you health problems. Can`nt they give you kidney transplants from you family or doners?  What would we do without your expertise here :( Know that you are needed, hang in there get better.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Kmt so sorry to hear about you health problems. Can`nt they give you kidney transplants from you family or doners?  What would we do without your expertise here :( Know that you are needed, hang in there get better.

Thanks, docy. I suspect that if I weren't here, UM would be far less pedantic.

In all seriousness, a kidney transplant is one of my options. I haven't reached that stage yet. As it is, a transplanted kidney on average will last between 8 and 10 years, so I'd prefer to hold off for a while.

• Like 1

I would suspect that within eight to ten years there will be artificial kidneys.  When my kidneys failed I had talks about transplants, and doctors are not inclined to provide false hopes, and that is what I got.  Fortunately my kidneys recovered,  but it has been a long slow grind (not to take away credit from the doctors -- the treatments no doubt had a large part to do with it).

Such radical surgery should be delayed if possible -- just makes sense.  Since I'm fat around the middle, it would be especially dangerous.  My energy and my ability to do things on my own have been steadily getting better.

Jeez we like talking about our health problems when I should be sympathetic to yours -- just trying to provide encouragement.  By the way, I like pedantry -- I learn things and I've often thought this board needs more of it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I would suspect that within eight to ten years there will be artificial kidneys.  When my kidneys failed I had talks about transplants, and doctors are not inclined to provide false hopes, and that is what I got.  Fortunately my kidneys recovered,  but it has been a long slow grind (not to take away credit from the doctors -- the treatments no doubt had a large part to do with it).

Such radical surgery should be delayed if possible -- just makes sense.  Since I'm fat around the middle, it would be especially dangerous.  My energy and my ability to do things on my own have been steadily getting better.

Jeez we like talking about our health problems when I should be sympathetic to yours -- just trying to provide encouragement.  By the way, I like pedantry -- I learn things and I've often thought this board needs more of it.

Nice post, Frank. It's good to meet someone who's shared the same experiences. So thanks for sharing yours. Dialysis and meds have considerably improved my stamina and energy, so I know it works. I've had several surgeries, and they're never fun or easy, but the thought of a kidney transplant doesn't intimidate me just because it's surgery. I find it hard to explain but I'm just not ready for that step yet. I think I'll get there, but for the time being I'm taking it one day at a time. The training for home dialysis was all-consuming as it is.

I wouldn't mind an artificial kidney. We have a 3D printer at the Field Museum, so I'm wondering if I can just print one out. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I know these artificial and pig kidneys don't worked,  the body rejects them , its best to get human parts

Also sorry to hear about your health problems. Not sure the info is relevant, but there was something on John Oliver about dialysis, recently. Sounded like the industry is a bit shady. You might want to check out the episode. 

Be well.

20 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Nice post, Frank. It's good to meet someone who's shared the same experiences. So thanks for sharing yours. Dialysis and meds have considerably improved my stamina and energy, so I know it works. I've had several surgeries, and they're never fun or easy, but the thought of a kidney transplant doesn't intimidate me just because it's surgery. I find it hard to explain but I'm just not ready for that step yet. I think I'll get there, but for the time being I'm taking it one day at a time. The training for home dialysis was all-consuming as it is.

I wouldn't mind an artificial kidney. We have a 3D printer at the Field Museum, so I'm wondering if I can just print one out. :D

Thanks.  Your situation is obviously more serious than mine, but I regardless see similarities and differences.  Mine apparently is associated with progressive liver failure from Hep. B that somehow allowed an infection into my bladder and from there into my kidneys -- so my problem was just an infection and once that was determined they treated it with anti-inflammatories and an antibiotic that doesn't penetrate the whole body but just the digestive tube.

I remember losing bladder control, followed by inability to get around town and in and out of tuk-tuks (motorized carriages). When I reached the point I couldn't stand, a bunch of neighborhood guys loaded me into one and when I got to the hospital this burly type lifts me in one motion out of the tuk-tuk into a wheelchair.  Then sitting around for hours waiting for test results.  Once I went on the regime I slowly began to recover.

I gotta say kidney failure has got to be one of the gentlest ways I know of to go.  I for sure thought I was dying, and was worried about pets and people I support and so on (even though of course I long ago made arrangements).  No pain, no discomfort, just an inability to move.  Scary, I must say -- the inability to move -- not the idea of dying (looking back although I emailed people preparing them for that, it didn't bother me that much -- kinda made a fool of myself though.  Of course in your case with dialysis it will be much less pleasant (sorry to bring that up but I don't want to imply what I went through is like what you are dealing with).  I am diabetic (type 2) but it is treated with a drug and absolute abstinence from sugar, so I'm insulin free and my blood pressure, although elevated, is as low as it will get until I can lose some weight -- ahh but this is complicated by gallstones which are bound to act up if I really lose weight -- no way to win after a certain age.

Your joke about 3D printers was well taken, and exactly, in more complicated ways, what I am at least hoping for.

15 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I know these artificial and pig kidneys don't worked,  the body rejects them , its best to get human parts

Yes I guess so -- there are problems with this -- a diabetic my age does not get one unless I pay a substantial bribe and I would prefer someone younger and healthier and with better prospects get it.   On the horizon is the ability to make artificial organs from who-knows-what that don't have antigens and so won't suffer rejection. 

32 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Thanks.  Your situation is obviously more serious than mine, but I regardless see similarities and differences.  Mine apparently is associated with progressive liver failure from Hep. B that somehow allowed an infection into my bladder and from there into my kidneys -- so my problem was just an infection and once that was determined they treated it with anti-inflammatories and an antibiotic that doesn't penetrate the whole body but just the digestive tube.

I remember losing bladder control, followed by inability to get around town and in and out of tuk-tuks (motorized carriages). When I reached the point I couldn't stand, a bunch of neighborhood guys loaded me into one and when I got to the hospital this burly type lifts me in one motion out of the tuk-tuk into a wheelchair.  Then sitting around for hours waiting for test results.  Once I went on the regime I slowly began to recover.

I gotta say kidney failure has got to be one of the gentlest ways I know of to go.  I for sure thought I was dying, and was worried about pets and people I support and so on (even though of course I long ago made arrangements).  No pain, no discomfort, just an inability to move.  Scary, I must say -- the inability to move -- not the idea of dying (looking back although I emailed people preparing them for that, it didn't bother me that much -- kinda made a fool of myself though.  Of course in your case with dialysis it will be much less pleasant (sorry to bring that up but I don't want to imply what I went through is like what you are dealing with).  I am diabetic (type 2) but it is treated with a drug and absolute abstinence from sugar, so I'm insulin free and my blood pressure, although elevated, is as low as it will get until I can lose some weight -- ahh but this is complicated by gallstones which are bound to act up if I really lose weight -- no way to win after a certain age.

Your joke about 3D printers was well taken, and exactly, in more complicated ways, what I am at least hoping for.

My problem is chiefly diabetes and hypertension. I'm on two blood-pressure meds, which is one reason I rarely visit the political debates here (LOL). Like the article says in my blog, these two related conditions also caused serious vision problems about three years ago. Luckily those problems were fixed.

I've heard of the problems Hep. B can cause. Can't remember which one it was but back when I was in paramedic training we were required to be vaccinated against hepatitis. And then again during dialysis, although I can't remember which strain that was, either. I always thought it strange with all my blood-pressure issues I've never had cardiac issues. My heart is strong. With the fluid build-up in kidney disease and all the breathing problems I was having, my heart was close to being damaged. I lucked out. No problems with the liver, either, but I could sure use a new kidney!

There actually wasn't much gentle when I was at the worst of my symptoms. It was very uncomfortable and frightening. My article mentions the symptoms I was suffering. It was actually a slow death from which I was pulled back.

It sounds like we've both been through the wringer. I'm glad you're bouncing back.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Also sorry to hear about your health problems. Not sure the info is relevant, but there was something on John Oliver about dialysis, recently. Sounded like the industry is a bit shady. You might want to check out the episode. 

Be well.

I avoided mentioning the name of my dialysis clinic in the article but it's one of the industry standards They have clinics all over the world. And I can tell by how much healthier and stronger I am now, they are legitimate. The clinic is also part of a large hospital in Chicago. Like I mentioned in my article, the nephrologist who treated me when I was admitted went on the become my nephrologist after I was discharged. I implicitly trust him. He's not only a great doctor—he's a considerate and decent man.

Thanks for yiur kind words.

• Like 1

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

I avoided mentioning the name of my dialysis clinic in the article but it's one fo the industry standards They have clinics all over the world. And I can tell by how much healthier and stronger I am now, they are legitimate. The clinic is also part of a large hospital in Chicago. Like I mentioned in my article, the nephrologist who treated me when I was admitted went on the become my nephrologist after I was discharged. I implicitly trust him. He's not only a great doctor—he's a considerate and decent man.

Thanks for yiur kind words.

Glad to know you're in good hands. 

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

They originally used insulin from pigs for diabetics. Now it's synthetic, and far superior. I would definitely prefer human parts, unless they perfect artificial kidneys in the near-future. I've since learned that it's being worked on right now, but I can't remember who the developer is.

• Like 1

I didn't mention it in my article except for my low-blood sugar when the ambulance scooped me up, but I had suffered repeated episodes of low-blood sugar. That was another problem. I'd eat something and the blood sugar would bounce right back quickly, but it was getting to be a pain.

One of the pleasant surprises upon being discharged was being taken off insulin. I had been giving myself insulin shots for over twenty years, so that was indeed a surprise. Instead I was put on a Type 2 diabetic oral medication called Glipizide. I'd never used the Type 2 meds in my life. And strangely enough, the Glipizide has been managing my blood sugar beautifully.

I got a new primary-care physician after leaving the hospital, and he mentioned I may have been misdiagnosed all hose years ago. Wow.

• Like 1

Finding a good doctor is difficult, and we have to go by objective evidence, not appearances, although of course their being a decent person helps a lot.  I've been to good hospitals where the doctor prescribes obsolete meds -- so a little shopping around never hurts -- and not being afraid to ask lots of questions.

I'm pretty much cured of my HepB now (that I had had since childhood).  The vaccine came too late for me.  American doctors said I did not meet standards for the antiviral involved (too low a virus count -- some arbitrary rule imposed by their insurance company) and so wouldn't treat me.  I don't care how low the virus count is, it can still cause liver cancer and other problems -- here I pay for it myself (at a hundredth the cost in the states -- and I am now to the point where the virus cannot be detected -- although they say I have to stay on the antiviral all my life.  Still, this is part of the grudge I have against medicine in the States.  There you have to have insurance -- costs are so high -- here I can pay for everything out of pocket (although at a cost of several thousand dollars a year I keep my American insurance active -- probably a huge waste of money as the care here is just as good.

One good thing came from a doctor in the States -- the effect of alcohol on the liver -- even a healthy one let alone one that has hep damage.  So I stopped drinking at least thirty years ago.  

As far as politics and blood pressure go, I get riled up something fierce, but as long as I take my bp pills and don't drink too much coffee it stays okay.  Of course the locals know almost nothing and we hardly communicate anyway except for those who speak some English (I don't dare utter a word in Vietnamese because of the prejudice here -- they know I'm Vietnamese but I'm "not like those others."  The world is the same everywhere.