Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Well, this sucks...

GlitterRose

On 5/27/2017 at 0:28 AM, aztek said:

it took me 9 months to get pistol permit in nyc,  background check, recommendation letters from police officers, interview with investigator at police plaza, and i still can't carry. 

That's crazy! I don't know what it takes to get a concealed in FL (I've been meaning to do this) but it can't be that hard. Probably about 50% of the folks I know have a concealed weapon in some way, meaning either on them most of the time (can't carry it in certain places) or in the car.

In regards to buying a pistol I don't think you need any permit but I could be wrong. I think you just need to wait a certain amount of time for a background check (couple days) and that's it. Regarding anything else I think you can just walk out the door with it same day, but again not sure.

Edited by internetperson

3 hours ago, internetperson said:

That's crazy! I don't know what it takes to get a concealed in FL (I've been meaning to do this) but it can't be that hard. Probably about 50% of the folks I know have a concealed weapon in some way, meaning either on them most of the time (can't carry it in certain places) or in the car.

In regards to buying a pistol I don't think you need any permit but I could be wrong. I think you just need to wait a certain amount of time for a background check (couple days) and that's it. Regarding anything else I think you can just walk out the door with it same day, but again not sure.

In FL I think it`s pretty easy to get a conceal carry permit but it depends on the gun your buying. As I said I could have an ar-15 or a shot gun in my back seat but my pistopl would have to be locked up when transporting it.  Here because I own a restricted weapon I get a background check done everyday so I have to be good. Kinda makes gun owners the safest people out there.  To be honest If I saw what happened according to this topic I would probably crap myself even if I had a gun. All I shoot is paper hobbits.

Edited by The Silver Thong

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

In FL I think it`s pretty easy to get a conceal carry permit but it depends on the gun your buying. As I said I could have an ar-15 or a shot gun in my back seat but my pistopl would have to be locked up when transporting it.  Here because I own a restricted weapon I get a background check done everyday so I have to be good. Kinda makes gun owners the safest people out there.  To be honest If I saw what happened according to this topic I would probably crap myself even if I had a gun. All I shoot it paper hobbits.

Come to sunny Arizona... we have Constitutional Carry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

And before fevered imaginations take flight, we've had it for the last 7 years and gunfighting in the streets is still rather rare... except for the re-creations they do for the snowbirds :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Come to sunny Arizona... we have Constitutional Carry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

And before fevered imaginations take flight, we've had it for the last 7 years and gunfighting in the streets is still rather rare... except for the re-creations they do for the snowbirds :)

I was in Texas once a few years ago maybe 5 and did a little bird hunting. I did not have my pistol with me, I just bought it last year, but loved it down there. Everyone had a gun  well not everyone and I felt safe, maybe thats because Dick Cheney wasn`t there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, internetperson said:

My daughter went to school in the panhandle of Florida and looked into getting a CCP.  They require a thorough gun safety course.  In Alabama you fill out an application, they run a check on you for warrants and priors and if you come up clean you get the permit in less than an hour.  Break any of the rules that are listed and you lose it just as quickly.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I was in Texas once a few years ago maybe 5 and did a little bird hunting. I did not have my pistol with me, I just bought it last year, but loved it down there. Everyone had a gun  well not everyone and I felt safe, maybe thats because Dick Cheney wasn`t there. 

Everyone here is mostly polite, respectful and non confrontational because the assumption is the other guy is probably carrying... and the attitude of those other guys that would normally tend towards belligerence is tempered by the likelihood that you're carrying as well.

When "The Knockout Game"... aka "Polar Bear Hunting"... aka "Street Reparations"... aka "Punch Your Friendly Neighborhood Caucasian in the Face"... aka "Felony Assault for Facebook Likes" was becoming an all too regular occurrence in notably gun controlled localities, we had none of it.

Yeah I read about this a couple of days ago and all I can say is much respect for those brave chivalrous souls who did what was right. RIP

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Everyone here is mostly polite, respectful and non confrontational because the assumption is the other guy is probably carrying... and the attitude of those other guys that would normally tend towards belligerence is tempered by the likelihood that you're carrying as well.

When "The Knockout Game"... aka "Polar Bear Hunting"... aka "Street Reparations"... aka "Punch Your Friendly Neighborhood Caucasian in the Face"... aka "Felony Assault for Facebook Likes" was becoming an all too regular occurrence in notably gun controlled localities, we had none of it.

anybody that plays the knock out game diserves a bullet in the back when they run away.

8 hours ago, internetperson said:

That's crazy! I don't know what it takes to get a concealed in FL (I've been meaning to do this) but it can't be that hard.

nope, not even close.  nyc has the strictest gun laws,  even in long island you do not need a permit for a rifle, you do need one in nyc,  they also very restrictive about rifles you can own,.. 

FL is like complete opposite, maybe when me and my wife retire, kids grow up, we'll move, but for now our jobs keep us here. 

4 hours ago, Alaric said:

When there's is any suspicion that others might have a strong means of defending themselves the scum of the world tend to back off. This can be seen in how my son is generally treated in public vs how I am treated in public. As an older woman I'm not afforded much deference (respect for older people no longer exists), but my son is huge and moves in a manner suggesting he could probably do some harm if attacked (and he could). So, if carrying guns is common in certain areas then I suspect the level of 'respect' (for lack of a better word) would be more pervasive. Anyone who doesn't think that strength is the only thing 'bad guys' actually respect is fooling themselves.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Lilly said:

I feel like I'm on another planet. This lunatic killer is not a Trump supporter and his own Facebook stuff shows exactly what Paranormal Panther just posted above.

Here's another link: https://downtrend.com/71superb/nazi-portland-stabber-is-actually-a-big-bernie-sanders-supporter

So, (here comes the part about feeling like I'm on another planet) the far left is blaming all of this on President Trump! The mayor of Portland is using this to shut down the free speech rights of anyone Conservative! The lunatic killer isn't even a Conservative for pity's sake!

What the Holy Hell is going on? I'm seriously confused...was I abducted by little grey beings at some point and I'm now in an alternate reality of some type?

Everyone (regardless of party affiliation) should be very upset by this, things have crossed the line into serious mental illness.

We live in Bizarro World now. It's a world in which Trump is blamed for all violent Republican politicians and all violent Republican voters. Heck, he's even blamed for all violent *leftists*. It's just a matter of time before he's blamed for all violent wildlife.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

anybody that plays the knock out game diserves a bullet in the back when they run away.

I'd "Like" your statement, except that if I ever actually have to shoot some thug for attacking an old lady in the street, Jessie Jackson and Benjamin Crump would use that to paint me as some sort of depraved killer who executed this poor angel on the way back from the store where he was buying medicine for his sick mother... ;) 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 10:00 PM, ChaosRose said:

Cranky...I've ridden that Max to Lloyd Center. Totally not cool that something like this happened there. 

Yeah, I've ridden that Max Train many a time also.... With my kids. Sounds exactly like something I might do too... try to stand between some woman being harassed and some drunk/stoned/insane idiot.

A young lady from our church was good friends with one of the guys who died. It was very sad such a fine young man died.

I believe he was a church going Christian, but I don't expect such to show up in the news.

From what I've read the guy was Drunk and clearly has mental issues also. I do hope he goes to prison for quite a while.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Sadly it's the one that tries to intervene that usually gets stabbed. My Kali teacher always told me to run away very fast from a man with a knife... knives at close range are more dangerous even than firearms. When two guys who know how to use knives have a sustained go at each other, the result is not pretty.

When one is out of their mind and has nothing to lose, "Amok", as it's known in the Philippines... they can be quite formidable even without training.

For those following the story, it was put out by Police that the one guy who died at the scene, that someone stole his wedding ring and back pack while he was bleeding out. There was good video from the Max train showing him. He was captured the next day, wearing the ring and carrying the backpack. 

What kind of person takes the backpack of someone bleeding to death on the floor of the train?

http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/suspect-accused-of-stealing-wedding-ring-backpack-from-trimet-stabbing-victim/445008200

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 6:54 AM, Lilly said:

When there's is any suspicion that others might have a strong means of defending themselves the scum of the world tend to back off. This can be seen in how my son is generally treated in public vs how I am treated in public. As an older woman I'm not afforded much deference (respect for older people no longer exists), but my son is huge and moves in a manner suggesting he could probably do some harm if attacked (and he could). So, if carrying guns is common in certain areas then I suspect the level of 'respect' (for lack of a better word) would be more pervasive. Anyone who doesn't think that strength is the only thing 'bad guys' actually respect is fooling themselves.

To me, that somehow doesn't seem right. But, I wouldn't want to fool myself. I know that's how it is. Remember, I work in retail. Have been in various places. The way I see, there's just not enough chocolate in the world. *sigh* 

On 6/3/2017 at 2:39 AM, DieChecker said:

For those following the story, it was put out by Police that the one guy who died at the scene, that someone stole his wedding ring and back pack while he was bleeding out. There was good video from the Max train showing him. He was captured the next day, wearing the ring and carrying the backpack. 

What kind of person takes the backpack of someone bleeding to death on the floor of the train?

http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/suspect-accused-of-stealing-wedding-ring-backpack-from-trimet-stabbing-victim/445008200

:no: