Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The endless mystery of God’s love

markdohle

The endless mystery of God’s love

O Incomprehensible God, how great is Your mercy! 
It surpasses the combined understanding of all men and angels.
 All the angels (107) and all humans have emerged
from the very depths of Your tender mercy. 
Mercy is the flower of love.  God is love,
and mercy is His deed.  In love it is conceived;
 in mercy, it is revealed.  Everything I look at speaks to me
of God’s mercy.   Even God’s very justice speaks to me
about His fathomless mercy, because justice flows from love.—
Divine Mercy Diary 651

I believe that mystery is something that is a deep need for mankind.  For me, a mystery is not something that is unknowable, but a reality that can be understood at ever deeper levels without exhausting its allure. 

I do believe that each human being is one such mystery.  The inner life of exploration is unending.  For as we change, grow, towards chaos or transformation, we still only experience a very small portion of whom or what we really are.  What are we really?  Are we actually made in the image and likeness of God?  If we are indeed rooted in God’s reality, then we are most certainly more than what we think we are.  Why else would Jesus tell us the importance of loving all and treating them as if they were Jesus Himself? 

When I look at a stranger, I have to remind myself of the vast inner world that is standing before me.  A human passing by is a whole universe that is known only by God.  I believe that the only way to bridge that reality is through love.  For to hate, or to ignore, or to feel superior, is only a wall that I build up to protect myself from the vastness of the mystery passing before me perhaps never to be seen again.  These barriers are often unconscious in me, but as I mature the reality of this tendency in me is becoming more apparent. 

For instance, with my loved ones, or friends, or workmates, or fellow community members, I can also reduce them to a size that I can easily handle, when in reality I am just making them into furniture that I can be comfortable with.  When I stop seeing those around me as like me, but also as other, it is a kind of death sentence for them.   They become mere props for the stage that is my life…a truncated life, one that can be experienced as empty and futile and isolating.  A foretaste of the eternal isolation of hell, where there is only one stage and I am the center of it, the god of my own world.

I can also make God into something understood, a piece of comfortable furniture in my inner life.  Even if my understanding is a fearful one, a terrifying one, it is still something I can handle, understand and even manipulate through certain rituals or prayers etc.  What is feared cannot be loved nor trusted, but only placated.

Yet when the reality of God’s love is experienced or conveyed through the mystics I can come face to face with my inability to actually understand, but which can be experienced.

I tend to make justice and mercy opposites.  That is because I know there is no real justice system in this world.  Many accused have been imprisoned and even executed who were, in fact, innocent of the crimes they were tried for.   We do the best we can, but to see into the heart of the matter, which is to see into the heart of the life being examined, is impossible for me or any other human being to accomplish I believe.  Yet not for God, who sees and understands all, is a different matter altogether and because of that reality, mercy, and justice are the same.  How that works out I am not sure, yet I do experience it every day and when I look back on my life, I am amazed at the mercy and compassion of God, who is infinitely compassionate and merciful.

Yet I still judge, put people in categories often negative ones.  As the years have passed, I am pained by that reality, yet when I pray I continually ask the Lord to touch my heart at ever deeper levels so that I may truly see and not be controlled by prejudices that are passed down from generation to generation, or learned by the brainwashing of our entertainment and news industry. –Br.MD

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markdohle

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic