Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream Premonitions

nycblman

For most of my life I've had this weird phenomenon in my dreams. It doesn't happen often, but has happened since I was a kid living with my parents.

The first time I experienced this premonition in my dreams was when I was about 8-10 years old. I was sleeping on a Saturday morning and my mother was downstairs, cleaning. She dropped a pan, but before being startled awake by the loud bang of the pan hitting the floor, I "randomly" visioned a hammer in a swinging motion, and as the hammer struck the ground, the pan slammed the floor and woke me up. This phenomenon of what appears to be a brief moment of premonition has occurred several times since.

The other day, I was reminded of this phenomenon by an "Americana" wreath falling in my bedroom. I was sleeping, laying in bed in a position against the wall where my head was almost directly below this decorative, Amaricana twig wreath. I was dreaming at the time, and although I can't remember the subject of the dream at this point, I recall that some random woman (stranger) in my dream, out of nowhere, tossed something at me. I can't remember what it was she tossed, but at the moment it "struck" me in my dream, the wreath had apparently fallen and hit my face, waking me up.

The creepy thing is my wife was awake at the time (but in the adjacent living room) and stated that there were a lot of noises coming from the bedroom. She told me this after I mentioned to her my dream and what happened with the wreath.

It's not just any noise that results in this happening. I have a teenage son in a bedroom above my room and he is up all hours of the night at times, making lots of noise, but it's never affected my dreams. Same with the neighbors (I'm in an apartment). It only seems to happen when it directly impacts me in a startling way.

I know that dreams have a way of screwing with your perception of time and timeline of events. So it has occurred to me that it could be within the split second something startling happens in real life, my dream puts something together in a longer timeline to explain it, and I wake up remembering the "longer timeline" of events leading up to that moment. But that almost seems like reaching to find some way to explain it without premonition. I guess I'll never know, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

When you talked about the hammer thing i know exactly what you mean , my dreams will do the same thing it will match what is about to happen in reality.  Sorry i dont have a real amswer as to why but its intresting how im not the only one tjis happens to 

IMO when an external noise invades a dream the brain incorporates it in such a way you think you were dreaming about the noise, or an action relating to the noise, and not the other way round.  A bit like paredolia, the brains way of making sense of the random noise.  That fact you think you were dreaming about an action that fits the noise before the noise occurred is an illusion.  That's what I think anyway.

• Like 1