Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'

UM-Bot

On 5/30/2017 at 11:14 AM, Merc14 said:

Yes because understanding the star that provides life to our planet is a total waste of money. :rolleyes:

its the sun, it provides us heat, light and energy, its been there billions of years and guess what if it got a end date, there is nothing we can do so wasting money on how hot or how much radiation is just not needed, 

4 minutes ago, geraldnewfie said:

its the sun, it provides us heat, light and energy, its been there billions of years and guess what if it got a end date, there is nothing we can do so wasting money on how hot or how much radiation is just not needed, 

See, you didn't even do any research.  Do you know what a coronal mass ejection is?  How about the effects they have on objects in space and here on earth?  Do you think it is important to be able to understand and thereby predict them?  

• Like 2

On 29.5.2017 at 11:41 PM, geraldnewfie said:

use the money for something better then just sending a probe into the sun, waste!!

What mission you are talking about?

11 hours ago, toast said:

What mission you are talking about?

I think he might be against space exploration in general ?

I mean its not like increasing our knowledge about the universe and launching satellites have brought us any benefits... oh except such unimportant things like physics, mathematics, exploration of our own world, communication, weather forecasting, resource exploration and enviromental observations. You know little things like that. :innocent:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think he might be against space exploration in general ?

I mean its not like increasing our knowledge about the universe and launching satellites have brought us any benefits... oh except such unimportant things like physics, mathematics, exploration of our own world, communication, weather forecasting, resource exploration and enviromental observations. You know little things like that. :innocent:

Yep, every new mission we get the obligatory we know what it is why dig deeper and waste money when people are starving.  I think he believes that a lack of funding is why people in destroyed countries are starving, not understand that no matter how much food you send to these people it gets somehow doesn't get to them.  

• Like 2

Just now, Merc14 said:

Yep, every new mission we get the obligatory we know what it is why dig deeper and waste money when people are starving.  I think he believes that a lack of funding is why people in destroyed countries are starving, not understand that no matter how much food you send to these people it gets somehow doesn't get to them.  

You dont have to look overseas to find folks in need. Im all for space exploration but lets not pretend we couldnt repurpose that money for good which directly affects the lives of Americans. 

Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics 

Food Insecurity and Very Low Food Security[iv]

In 2015:

• 42.2 million Americans lived in food insecure households, including 29.1 million adults and 13.1 million children.
  • 13 percent of households (15.8 million households) were food insecure.
  • 5 percent of households (6.3 million households) experienced very low food security.
  • Households with children reported food insecurity at a significantly higher rate than those without children, 17 percent compared to 11 percent.
  • Households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (17%), especially households with children headed by single women (30%) or single men (22%), Black non-Hispanic households (22%) and Hispanic households (19%).
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America, ranging from a low of 3 percent in Grant County, KS to a high of 38 percent in Jefferson County, MS.[v]

27 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You dont have to look overseas to find folks in need. Im all for space exploration but lets not pretend we couldnt repurpose that money for good which directly affects the lives of Americans. 

In 2015:

• 42.2 million Americans lived in food insecure households, including 29.1 million adults and 13.1 million children.
  • 5 percent of households (6.3 million households) experienced very low food security.
  • Households with children reported food insecurity at a significantly higher rate than those without children, 17 percent compared to 11 percent.
  • Households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (17%), especially households with children headed by single women (30%) or single men (22%), Black non-Hispanic households (22%) and Hispanic households (19%).
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America, ranging from a low of 3 percent in Grant County, KS to a high of 38 percent in Jefferson County, MS.[v]

In NASA's 2017 budget they account for 0,45 % (19,5 billion $) of the US federal budget. The US currently spends more than 30 times more on defence than they do on NASA. True I'm not a US citizen so its not for me to choose what to do with the money, but I think its something to think about.

ESA's buget is curently around 5,25 billion Euroes, but since most ESA members (including my country) have independent space agencies aswell I don't know the total amount of money spend on space exploration by its member states. 

Space exploration actually is a net benefit for the economy of most countries due to the new spinoff technologies and workforce of highly skilled engineers.

• Like 1

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

In NASA's 2017 budget they account for 0,45 % (19,5 billion $) of the US federal budget. The US currently spends more than 30 times more on defence than they do on NASA. True I'm not a US citizen so its not for me to choose what to do with the money, but I think its something to think about.

:clap: You're singing my song amigo! We need to strip that "defense" budget by somewhere in the order of  tens of billions and prioritize that money for something useful. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

In 2015:

How much $ that would be per 10 calories? With such numbers of "powerty", 'mericans should lead in "leanest" contest, though, last time I checked, US is uncontested morbid obesity champion.

• Like 1

Just now, bmk1245 said:

How much $ that would be per 10 calories? With such numbers of "powerty", 'mericans should lead in "leanest" contest, though, last time I checked, US is uncontested morbid obesity champion.

The perverse and twisted reality of America is its very often cheaper to eat garbage food, which contains less nutrition, more preservatives and more calories , i.e a large pizza at Little Caesars for 5 bucks, or 4 cheeseburgers for 4 bucks vs. 10 bucks to make a decent, albeit meatless, salad. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The perverse and twisted reality of America is its very often cheaper to eat garbage food, which contains less nutrition, more preservatives and more calories , i.e a large pizza at Little Caesars for 5 bucks, or 4 cheeseburgers for 4 bucks vs. 10 bucks to make a decent, albeit meatless, salad. 

Wow...

Food is food, there is no "garbage" food. Calling food "garbage" is highest degree of idiocy.

Just now, bmk1245 said:

Wow...

Food is food, there is no "garbage" food. Calling food "garbage" is highest degree of idiocy.

You mentioned obesity as it relates to poverty. I explained to you a very concrete factor in said obesity in America.

There is such a thing as garbage food. It is food high in calories and low in nutrition. I am fixing to eat some garbage food for lunch right now , thankfully I can afford to buy fresh greens and vegetables for a green smoothie for breakfast and Ill be having a clean fresh chicken breast for dinner. Poor folks often dont have those options. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You mentioned obesity as it relates to poverty. I explained to you a very concrete factor in said obesity in America.

There is such a thing as garbage food. It is food high in calories and low in nutrition. I am fixing to eat some garbage food for lunch right now , thankfully I can afford to buy fresh greens and vegetables for a green smoothie for breakfast and Ill be having a clean fresh chicken breast for dinner. Poor folks often dont have those options. 

Once again - there is no garbage food, there are bad eating habits. Don't dare to put food and garbage in the same sentence/paragraph.

Enslaving an entire population by clothing, feeding and housing for generations is an incredibly cruel thing to do in the name of compassion.  Simply throwing money at a hunger problem when record numbers of food stamps are now being used is not the answer and doing so in the name of compassion, while starving our future in space, is a shortsighted and self-destructive path to take.  

snip....

This is WILDLY off-topic so I apologize for posting it and have nothing further to say on the subject, let's keep it in the appropriate forum.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Just now, Merc14 said:

Enslaving an entire population by clothing, feeding and housing for generations is an incredibly cruel thing to do in the name of compassion.  Simply throwing money at a hunger problem when record numbers of food stamps are now being used is not the answer and doing so in the name of compassion, while starving our future in space, is a shortsighted and self-destructive path to take.  

snip....

This is WILDLY off-topic so I apologize for posting it and have nothing further to say on the subject, let's keep it in the appropriate forum.

My apologies to the thread as well. 

12 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

snip....

Agree.

Damn, I forgot what topic was about... One of the quirks by getting old...