Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'

Will the probe even be able to send back information once it gets that close to the sun?  I don't know exactly how powerful the emissions of the sun are, but they might be able to drown out a single probe that gets too close.

• Like 1

Now how is that going to happened, when the nearer one gets  to sun every thing burns up?

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see just how close to the sun they will be able to get with this probe, as to obtain the kind of data they're looking for.

• Like 1

ok looking at super close ups of the sun, one will see shadows and raised areas in detail, my question is, if the sun is generating light, what is causing the shadows and bright spots? its as if the light is reflecting back down to the suns surface, why is that? here are some pics https://www.windows2universe.org/?page=/sun/sun.html

11 hours ago, grimsituation6 said:

ok looking at super close ups of the sun, one will see shadows and raised areas in detail, my question is, if the sun is generating light, what is causing the shadows and bright spots? its as if the light is reflecting back down to the suns surface, why is that? here are some pics https://www.windows2universe.org/?page=/sun/sun.html

I'm pretty sure sunspots appear dark because they're dimmer than the surrounding areas.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geraldnewfie said:

use the money for something better then just sending a probe into the sun, waste!!

Yes because understanding the star that provides life to our planet is a total waste of money. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

On 29.5.2017 at 4:52 AM, grimsituation6 said:

my question is, if the sun is generating light, what is causing the shadows and bright spots?

Tutorial: What Are Sunspots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2dfDS8g0Q

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

Hope that probe doesn't have any iron on it.

On 29.5.2017 at 11:41 PM, geraldnewfie said:

use the money for something better then just sending a probe into the sun, waste!!

Read the full article.

• Like 1

My first thought: "But the astronauts will all burn!?" :o

Those moments when you know your brain hasn't woken up yet. ^_^

• Like 1

I think this is brilliant. Lets see what kind of data we can get out of this. Massive gravitational forces as well as heat, radiation. Should be quite the ride. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2017 at 10:37 AM, Wickian said:

I'm pretty sure sunspots appear dark because they're dimmer than the surrounding areas.

exactly, how are there bright spots? there shouldnt be light gradient if it is pure light. what is physically causing shadows on the sun? energy cant cast a shadow, energy is not physical

basically im asking how come the sun isnt one flat smooth single gradient source of light, for instance you can see its horizon shadow and you can see its a sphere, but how? it is the single source of light in our solar system so how does it have a horizon?

it should look like a flat disc, like a black hole? yes its a sphere, but you shouldnt be able to see that its a sphere.

Edited by grimsituation6

4 hours ago, grimsituation6 said:

exactly, how are there bright spots? there shouldnt be light gradient if it is pure light. what is physically causing shadows on the sun? energy cant cast a shadow, energy is not physical

It ISN'T pure light any more than a light bulb is pure light. It is a physic object which emits light, None of your comments seem to make much sense.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grimsituation6 said:

a lightbulb is not pure light, a lightning bolt is pure light.

A lightning bolt IS NOT pure light, it is plasma:

Lightning is a sudden electrostatic discharge that occurs during a thunderstorm. This discharge occurs between electrically charged regions of a cloud (called intra-cloud lightning or IC), between two clouds (CC lightning), or between a cloud and the ground (CG lightning).

The charged regions in the atmosphere temporarily equalize themselves through this discharge referred to as a strike if it hits an object on the ground, and a flash, if it occurs within a cloud. Lightning causes light in the form of plasma, and sound in the form of thunder.

Source:wikipedia

You are basing your objections on the basis that you haven't got a clue what the sun is and you haven't got a clue what light is. It's not going to end well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grimsituation6 said:

Billedresultat for hiroshima bombing shadow

Hiroshima, August 6, 1945

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grimsituation6 said:

a lightbulb is not pure light, a lightning bolt is pure light.

To answer your question about gradients, the sun is big.  The gradient you're expecting to see is actually there, but given how large the black spots are and how far away the sun is, it appears to be a relatively well defined border.  I can't say with confidence the exact cause of dark spots off the top of my head and I'm in no mood to google it, but the Sun is a nuclear reactor of gasses that emit light.  It is not light in and of itself.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, AB5FD said:

I think they are going at night?

The sun is the same at night as it is during the day. Night is caused by the Earth rotating and thus the "far" side of Earth is turned from the sun, creating day/night cycles. The side of the Earth facing the sun is in day, while the side facing away is in night. The sun isn't a lightbulb, it doesn't turn on and off. 

15 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

The sun is the same at night as it is during the day.

AB5FD was joking. It's a very old joke about idiots sending a mission to land on the sun but going at night so it will be cooler.

• Like 1