Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In China, maggots finish plates, & food waste

Still Waters

Thousands of voracious white maggots wiggle frenetically while tearing through trayfuls of leftover meat, vegetables and fruits in an unusual farm in southwestern China.

It may not be a pretty sight, but the gluttonous larvae could help China eat away something far uglier: the country's mountain of food waste.

The individual larvae of black soldier flies, which are native to the Americas, can each eat double their weight of garbage every day, according to experts. The farm in Sichuan province then turns the bugs into a high-protein animal feed and their faeces into an organic fertiliser.

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-china-maggots-finish-plates-food.html?utm_source=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

• Like 2

I deal with so many maggots at work from time to time. I've grow to love the little b*****s. Cute little wriggling guys. Sometimes I race them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I deal with so many maggots at work from time to time. I've grow to love the little b*****s. Cute little wriggling guys. Sometimes I race them. 

Do you ever win?

:)

• Like 1