Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Early Collapse of Arctic Sea Ice

The Caspian Hare

Early Collapse of Arctic Sea Ice Is Another Ominous Sign of Rapid Warming

Earth's already-beleaguered northern icecap suffered another blow this month with the early collapse of a barrier that kept some of Arctic's most durable ice in place.

The ice arch across the Nares Strait, which separates Greenland from Ellesmere Island in Canada's far northeast, gave way two months earlier than usual, said Laurence Dyke, a paleoglaciologist at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland.

"On May 10, this arch disintegrated, leaving the oldest and thickest sea ice in the Arctic vulnerable to being swept south where it will melt away," Dyke told Seeker. "Over the last two weeks, the area of broken ice has expanded massively to the north, and lots of Arctic sea ice is flowing southwards through the Nares Strait."

The channel and the Lincoln Sea, at the northern tip of Greenland, are normally covered by a sheet of ice several meters thick until around July, Dyke said.

http://www.livescience.com/59291-early-collapse-of-arctic-ice-bridge.html

• Like 5

Someone better start something to save them penguins ...

~

• Like 1

Oh Oh better start taxing the poor more.

• Like 1

I hope Trump gets alerted to this.  He has the audacity to make countries wait for his decision as to whether or not he will sign up to the agreement to cut carbon emissions.   (Don't get me started on this moron....!!!!)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sees said:

I hope Trump gets alerted to this.  He has the audacity to make countries wait for his decision as to whether or not he will sign up to the agreement to cut carbon emissions.   (Don't get me started on this moron....!!!!)

Can you tell me how a carbon tax will help anything.

6 minutes ago, sees said:

Pretty lame. So is the goverment going to buy us all electrice cars and put solar panels on our roofs and a wind mill in my back yard. You do understand that everything and I mean everything in your home was due to oil even your computer that your use now. A carbon tax will do nothing. Except make some very rich and many more poor.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

Pretty lame. So is the goverment going to buy us all electrice cars and put solar panels on our roofs and a wind mill in my back yard. You do understand that everything and I mean everything in your home was due to oil even your computer that your use now. A carbon tax will do nothing. Except make some very rich and many more poor.

The primary purpose of carbon tax is to lower greenhouse-gas emissions.  We don't all live the same way i.e. there are many energy efficient appliances now - I hope you know that?  Cutting carbon emissions is not all about a carbon tax.

Ultimately, you either care about the current, dire situation (as shown on the topic of this thread) or soothe your conscience by finding excuses not to make a difference.  Your choice.

This is a bit of a surprise...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/opinion/guess-whos-for-a-carbon-tax-now.html

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sees said:

The primary purpose of carbon tax is to lower greenhouse-gas emissions.  We don't all live the same way i.e. there are many energy efficient appliances now - I hope you know that?

Ultimately, you either care about the current, dire situation (as shown on the topic of this thread) or soothe your conscience by finding excuses not to make a difference.  Your choice.

What is a tax on the poor going to do.

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

What is a tax on the poor going to do.

Cutting carbon emissions is not all about a carbon tax.

• Like 1

Antarctic ice shelf crack is 'very close' to calving off and creating one of the biggest icebergs ever recorded

The rift in the Larsen C Ice Shelf is now almost 125 miles (200km) long
    It has grown an additional 10 miles (16 km) between May 25 and May 31
    The ice shelf will lose 1,900 square miles (5,000 sq km) when it finally calves
    The resulting iceberg will be among the 10 biggest ever recorded

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4562042/Antarctic-ice-shelf-crack-close-calving-off.html#ixzz4ilVB2ZOP

• Like 4

On 2017-05-29 at 11:13 AM, sees said:

Nothing will change with a carbon tax nothing!!! just higher bills and gas prices. Your food costs will go up anything transported by ship, rail, or truck will go up. Everything will cost more and solve nothing. This is a money grab. Maybe we should make driving a car illegal for example. Make trains illegal, boats illegal, the military illegal. Let`s go back to farming our own land oh what, cow`s fart. Ban cow`s

Edited by The Silver Thong

On 5/29/2017 at 10:12 AM, The Silver Thong said:

Dude I'm glad you get it. Trump wants to pull out of the Paris (formerly "Kyoto",) Climate Change Accord because it puts a stranglehold on economies.

I encourage everyone to watch this. It's only 10min and gives a great breakdown of what a scam this is. Do you want other nations to tell America what it can and can't spend money on? Does the Paris agreement stop Mexico from dumping industrial waste into waterways or China's relentless building of coal power plants? I understand @sees concerns completely, but how the hell is raising the cost of living in America and exporting billions of dollars going to make a difference when the entire developing world is unable to afford "green energy"? It's all a scam.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Nothing will change with a carbon tax nothing!!! just higher bills and gas prices. Your food costs will go up anything transported by ship, rail, or truck will go up. Everything will cost more and solve nothing. This is a money grab. Maybe we should make driving a car illegal for example. Make trains illegal, boats illegal, the military illegal. Let`s go back to farming our own land oh what, cow`s fart. Ban cow`s

So you see climate change the same way as Trump i.e. a hoax to make money?  Whilst it may indeed have that aspect to it, that is not the whole of the picture.  Trump is in denial....worryingly so.

What are your thoughts on the recent Antartic ice shelf crack?  Fabrication?  Really???? 

If the leader of a country that occupies just 3% of the Earths surface wanted to do something, for its own benefit, that was strongly believed to have a detrimental effect on the rest of the planet, what would Frump do?  Would he say, "hell go with it, we dont care?   Your country is far, far, more important than the rest of the world so go with it and dont give a toss care about the consequences cos no-one but your country matters ....! "

Oh, wait, that is Grump ....  The ultimate rich, selfish, ignorant, b******.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sees said:

So you see climate change the same way as Trump i.e. a hoax to make money?  Whilst it may indeed have that aspect to it, that is not the whole of the picture.  Trump is in denial....worryingly so.

What are your thoughts on the recent Antartic ice shelf crack?  Fabrication?  Really???? 

Oh climate change is happening I agree on that. However a tax will change nothing. In Arazona and Hawaii they tax people for using the sun if you have solar panels. How does that help. Oh wait it takes away profit from big energy company`s that hire or bribe politicians.  How is it even possible for a govenment to tax sunlight. Look it up. I posted this before and this is small scale to say the least.

To me it seems you might be taxed for not useing enough energy off the grid. Can`t have that can we, the fat cats need there 400 dollar meals right.

16 minutes ago, Essan said:

If the leader of a country that occupies just 3% of the Earths surface wanted to do something, for its own benefit, that was strongly believed to have a detrimental effect on the rest of the planet, what would Frump do?  Would he say, "hell go with it, we dont care?   Your country is far, far, more important than the rest of the world so go with it and dont give a toss care about the consequences cos no-one but your country matters ....! "

Oh, wait, that is Grump ....  The ultimate rich, selfish, ignorant, b******.

Don`t all countries try to look out for the people, in most part. Trump is not fantastic by any meens but he can spot a bad deal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Essan said:

If the leader of a country that occupies just 3% of the Earths surface wanted to do something, for its own benefit, that was strongly believed to have a detrimental effect on the rest of the planet

What is the detrimental effect on the planet if we pull out of the Paris agreement? Please show me the stats cause the G7 nations have had these agreements for a long time and the Earth is still heating up like the cost of subsidizing inefficient green energy

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM, sees said:

It's all they have in their pre-programmed list of comments.

Annoying right?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

What is the detrimental effect on the planet if we pull out of the Paris agreement? Please show me the stats cause the G7 nations have had these agreements for a long time and the Earth is still heating up like the cost of subsidizing inefficient green energy

An increase in atmopsheric CO2 over and above what it would otherwise be.  An increase that is not necessary and will occur simply because the mega rich want to get even richer with no concern for anyone else, and the sheeple let it.

btw "green" technology is one of the fastest growth areas in US employment.  Not good, eh?

http://fortune.com/2017/01/27/solar-wind-renewable-jobs/

In fact, US solar power employs more people than oil, coal and gas combined, report shows

This is obviously a very bad thing .....

Brump wants to make his billionaire mates even richer at the expense of jobs.   But thats okay, cos AGW is scam right?   ;)

• Like 2

btw I am totally opposed to carbon taxes and the like.   They are just a scam and do nothing long term to reduce our detrimental impact on the climate.

And IMO the area we should really be concentrating on is deforestation.   Because I dont think those with enough money to last a thousand years will ever accept a cut in the use of fossil fuels if it means they only have enough money for 999 years and 11 months.

46 minutes ago, Essan said:

An increase in atmopsheric CO2 over and above what it would otherwise be.  An increase that is not necessary and will occur simply because the mega rich want to get even richer with no concern for anyone else, and the sheeple let it.

btw "green" technology is one of the fastest growth areas in US employment.  Not good, eh?

http://fortune.com/2017/01/27/solar-wind-renewable-jobs/

In fact, US solar power employs more people than oil, coal and gas combined, report shows

This is obviously a very bad thing .....

...do you know what "subsidized" means? It means the Government is paying in to these industries to keep them afloat as they are not profitable enough to sustain themselves. That's what the Paris agreement mandates we do to "curb carbon emissions"

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/despite-39b-annual-govt-subsidies-solar-produced-05-electricity

“American taxpayers spent an average of $39 billion a year over the past 5 years financing grants, subsidizing tax credits, guaranteeing loans, bailing out failed solar energy boondoggles and otherwise underwriting every idea under the sun to make solar energy cheaper and more popular,” concludes the TPA report—the first in a multi-part expose on the solar industry.  “But none of it has worked. Solar energy remains prohibitively expensive—often three times more than electricity produced from natural gas and other sources.  As a result, less than 1 percent of the electricity consumers by Americans comes from solar energy sources.”  Furthermore, over the past five years, the federal government spent an estimated $150 billion on solar energy and other renewable energy projects.

Please tell me how much money the "booming" solar sector generated for the economy with all those jobs? Was it more than $39 billion? Apparently not, since less than 1% of energy used in the US was produced by solar. So, Essan, is $39 billion worth that whole 1% boost in clean energy to the grid? This is what makes the scam, a scam. The solar industry didn't spring up out of thin air because, as everyone knows but you, it's inefficient and prohibitively expensive to make and use solar. 

On the other hand, coal has significantly less subsidies while employing hundreds of thousands of people just like the solar industry. Seems to me like "Brump" is trying to cut costs and not employment. That makes him a good boss.

Edit to add--

One more nail in this coffin:

Although sunlight is free, capturing and storing the sun’s energy in the form of electricity is definitely not. Diana Furchtgott-Roth, a former chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor, noted last year that “if the 27 percent of U.S. electricity generated by natural gas came instead from solar power, consumer costs for monthly electric bills would increase about 25 percent.”

Given that most Americans are already in financial trouble, a 25% increase in their power bill probably won't help. Even with all those solar jobs.

Edited by Dark_Grey

we have pretty strict emission standards as it is, just ask epa. pulling out of this scam wont make them go away, nor those standards be affected in any way.

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

we have pretty strict emission standards as it is, just ask epa. pulling out of this scam wont make them go away, nor those standards be affected in any way.

But it will mean Crump and the rest of the Elite  will  make even more money.  And that is good for everyone excect anyone who doesnt earn $100m a week.  Who we dont care about anyway.   Cos its all about making money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares so long as we are richer that you?

Just now, Essan said:

But it will mean Crump and the rest of the Elite  will  make even more money.  And that is good for everyone excect anyone who doesnt earn $100m a week.  Who we dont care about anyway.   Cos its all about making money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares so long as we are richer that you?

lol, so the accord IS about the money not the actual climate, right?