Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4th Dynasty lathes - per Petrie

57 minutes ago, Harte said:

He's not pretty.

He's purdy.

Harte

And lookin' mighty fine in them jeans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, pffft, that isn't you. You have the sleek and powerful build of a Sphinx. It's just the head that's unfortunate. But I don't wish to be mean. Not everyone can have the striking and glorious countenance of a mummy.

Well if you hold everyone to the countenance of a mummy, no one catch it. Except your dome. 

• Like 1

I watched a workman repair a dhow in Lamu, Kenya using hand tools. He trimmed the wood and drilled holes with a drill which looked hand made, not a twist drill. Then he used a windlass to pull the board into place and it fit well. He used oakum to seal the board. I had to watch. Not sure how he was able to cut a board which correctly filled a hole when the board was bent into place.

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

I watched a workman repair a dhow in Lamu, Kenya using hand tools. He trimmed the wood and drilled holes with a drill which looked hand made, not a twist drill. Then he used a windlass to pull the board into place and it fit well. He used oakum to seal the board. I had to watch. Not sure how he was able to cut a board which correctly filled a hole when the board was bent into place.

I saw two techniques, one of heating and bending, another using hot water and bending (one used in Dubai the other in Sur, Oman). I was always impressed by how an old guy would lay his head against the side of the hull to check the angles and 'sweep' of the hull.

• Like 3