Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO drama 'Blue Book' inspired by real events

UM-Bot

"Project U.F.O." already did this 1978 to 1979 for 2 series. 

Pretty good series as I recall-must try t get it on my Android box 

Wiki Link:

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

I would enjoy seeing systematic qualitative analysis of these reportings using modern software tools. We might gain insight as to the sightings but also the behaviors of the individuals experiencing these phenomena.

17 hours ago, highdesert50 said:

I would enjoy seeing systematic qualitative analysis of these reportings using modern software tools. We might gain insight as to the sightings but also the behaviors of the individuals experiencing these phenomena.

I've said for years that I'm just as interested in "why" so many people believe in E.T.s as whether or not they exist. It's not a new phenomenon, historically large numbers of humans have believed in all sorts of mythical creatures (faeries, etc).

7 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

I've said for years that I'm just as interested in "why" so many people believe in E.T.s as whether or not they exist. It's not a new phenomenon, historically large numbers of humans have believed in all sorts of mythical creatures (faeries, etc).

Interesting 

Yet when the many thousands of files on UFOs are presented to the public , many are redacted . One wonders why ? 

Why these files even exist in the first place , should make you think of why they do .

10 hours ago, omni9 said:

Interesting 

Yet when the many thousands of files on UFOs are presented to the public , many are redacted . One wonders why ? 

Why these files even exist in the first place , should make you think of why they do .

I wonder if it isn't a chicken/egg thing too. When documents are released that contain redacted information, it's human nature to want to fill in the blanks with their imagination. I'm not making a case for or against E.T.s, I just find the idea that so many people believe it with little/no tangible evidence fascinating. The same with ghosts, magic, etc.

• 3 months later...

People who don't believe in aliens are displaying a breathtaking arrogance, because they bizarrely believe that, even though there are thought to be around 1 trillion trillion planets in the observable universe, humans are the only highly intelligent lifeforms.

Edited by Black Monk

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

People who don't believe in aliens are displaying a breathtaking arrogance, because they bizarrely believe that, even though there are thought to be around 1 trillion trillion planets in the observable universe, humans are the only highly intelligent lifeforms.

There are some who do that, sure. But a skeptic has to take in other factors too. The insurmountable distances between stars, the the vast time scales at play ( a billion years could elapse between the rise and fall of civilizations around a star), the likelihood that our star is even noticed in the backwaters of the Milky Way, the fact that most of the evidence presented in the last 6 decades has an earthly explanation. And even if the evidence doesn't have an explanation yet, Occam's razor says that it's mostly likely an as-yet-unknown terrestrial phenomenon. 

Skepticism isn't arrogance, it's an unwillingness to believe something fantastic without overwhelming evidence.

Given the distances involved, and probability of other lifeforms not only being at a similar level of technological development as ourselves (within, say, 1,000 years?)  but also very. very, similar in terms of biology and chemistry, I find it far more likely that physical UFOs are human time travellers or from a parallel universe, than from another planet.

2 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

The insurmountable distances between stars

Just because they are insurmountable to humans at the present time doesn't mean they are insurmountable to other civilisations.

the likelihood that our star is even noticed in the backwaters of the Milky Way

What makes you think our Solar System is in a backwater part of the galaxy?

the fact that most of the evidence presented in the last 6 decades has an earthly explanation.

But not all of it.

Skepticism isn't arrogance, it's an unwillingness to believe something fantastic without overwhelming evidence.

What IS arrogance is not believing that there are other intelligent beings out there.

All valid points. I'm not suggesting it isn't possible. But as a skeptic, I have to see more than evidence that "it's possible" to believe something. I will concede that, given the odds, it's highly likely that we aren't the only intelligence that's ever evolved in the universe. But that is miles from saying I "believe" it anymore than I would say I believe we aren't. So I respectfully disagree that it is arrogant to not believe there are other intelligent beings out there. It is only arrogant to believe it's not possible.

Edited by Calibeliever

So basically they're trying to remake the X- Files, hopefully this time without all of the ridiculous plot twists.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this link. I'll look for it on TV.

Do you know when it's supposed to air? :)

• 2 weeks later...

keithisco, are you british?  i wondered since you said project blue aired for 2 series in the late 1970s.  i know it aired for 2 seasons.