Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Army Loses $1 BIL of Weapons in Iraq

Dark_Grey

Breitbart

Audit: U.S. Army Loses Track of $1 Billion-Plus Worth of Weapons, Other Equipment in Iraq

According to a declassified government audit of the Iraqi Train and Equip Fund obtained by Amnesty International through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, hundreds of Humvees and mortars, as well as tens of thousands of rifles, remain unaccounted for due to a lack of central database for keeping track of U.S. taxpayer-funded military equipment.

“It makes for especially sobering reading given the long history of leakage of US arms to multiple armed groups committing atrocities in Iraq, including the armed group calling itself the Islamic State,” [Patrick Wilcken] continued.“The need for post-delivery checks is vital. Any fragilities along the transfer chain greatly increase the risks of weapons going astray in a region where armed groups have wrought havoc and caused immense human suffering.”

How long until we see ISIS driving around in American Humvees?

In the report, auditors reveal several lapses in the manner in which U.S. taxpayer-funded military equipment is logged and monitored beginning from the point of delivery.

Among the shortcomings, are:

• Fragmentary record-keeping in arms depots in Kuwait and Iraq, with information logged across multiple spreadsheets, databases and even on hand-written receipts.
  • Large quantities of equipment manually entered into multiple spreadsheets, increasing the risk of human error.
  • Incomplete records meaning those responsible for the equipment were unable to ascertain its location or status.

In fiscal year 2015 alone, which includes the time covered by the government audit, the U.S. Congress allocated $1.6 billion for the fight against ISIS.

Amnesty International reports:

Meanwhile, a previous Department of Defense audit in 2015 pointed to the fact that the Iraqi armed forces applied even laxer stockpile monitoring procedures. In some cases, the Iraqi Army was unaware of what was stored in its own warehouses, while other military equipment – unopened and uninventoried – was stored out in the open in shipping containers.

Ya know, if the Iraqi's don't appreciate our contribution, we can take our toys back and they can finish this with leftover Russian stockpile...
I'm not going comment on Obama's apparently deliberate "care package" drops to ISIS or Hillary's "weapons deals" *gasp* also ending up in terrorist hands.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Breitbart

Audit: U.S. Army Loses Track of $1 Billion-Plus Worth of Weapons, Other Equipment in Iraq

How long until we see ISIS driving around in American Humvees?

Ya know, if the Iraqi's don't appreciate our contribution, we can take our toys back and they can finish this with leftover Russian stockpile...
I'm not going comment on Obama's apparently deliberate "care package" drops to ISIS or Hillary's "weapons deals" *gasp* also ending up in terrorist hands.

Does not suprise me at all.

As far as Humvee`s go

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-turning-us-humvees-into-iraqs-nightmare-2015-6

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 3

We all know that when we went into Irag,  giving a them a three month warning ,like ok on this date we are going to in ,they had time to get rid of all the mass weapons of destructions  I mean we seen caravans of  trucks loads leaving that country. this war between the Sunni and Shia  is what taking all our equipment we contributed  

Trump`s right  we should have the element of surprise  like in the old  governments of the US  had . 

Edited by docyabut2

Either the military has terrible security and theft is rampant or the powers that be have been bribing/paying the locals for services they don't want known to the public.

• Like 5

It was my understanding that a huge number of small arms, APC's, Humvees and artillery tubes were lost to ISIS when the Iraqi army fled in terror from a force a tiny fraction of their numbers.  That happened years ago.  The sickening aspect of this kind of waste is that the average soldier could be court-martialed and fined for losing a single helmet or NVG. 

• Like 2

Can any vets or active Military members comment on this? How hard is it to lose $1 billion of equipment? Reading through the comments on the webpage, some vets are saying this story is a cover up as there is no way the Military would allow this kind of loss without knowing about it.

9 hours ago, Amy01 said:

May be they sold they sold the weapon to Iraqis  

I agree.  I think someone had a nice little side business going on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wickian said:

Either the military has terrible security and theft is rampant or the powers that be have been bribing/paying the locals for services they don't want known to the public.

The US military just left it there.

10 hours ago, Amy01 said:

May be they sold they sold the weapon to Iraqis  

If the US sold it there would not be a billion in loss, it would be a transaction. Like when I sell a used car. I can`t say I lost money knowing I would lose money selling a used car.

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

I agree.  I think someone had a nice little side business going on.

If we go back, it was a side deal. To create Isis and distabalize the middle east. It`s back firing big time. It reminds me when I had a pet Chameleon and I thought feeding it crickets was a good idea. It was not, they invaded my house and drove me crazy.  

• Like 1

Did they check under all that sand? I lose all sorts of stuff at the beach!

:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Can any vets or active Military members comment on this? How hard is it to lose $1 billion of equipment? Reading through the comments on the webpage, some vets are saying this story is a cover up as there is no way the Military would allow this kind of loss without knowing about it.

very possible

• Like 1

The military has just abandoned stuff before.  It is often cheaper to leave it behind then ship it back.  But it is just as likely that it was given to Kurds or militia forces and then written off.

• Like 1