Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Define "God".

nephili

3 minutes ago, nephili said:

The problem is you are still talking about you and not the topic. You are still derailing the thread I started with your life story. Get to the topic.

Or can you not emotionally ignore the "circling vultures" as you called everyone for trying to get you back on topic already?

Have a go at those who started it   I've already discussed this  God is a construct of human self aware consciousness, even where a real entity exists which we call god  

The same self aware consciousness which allows us to recognise construct and conceptualize gods  has many other purposes.

WE are responsible for how we perceive god and for EVERYTHING we do in "his" name   A person's god will reflect all their other values beliefs and moralities SO change a persons morality and ethical beliefs and behaviours and you will change the face of the gods the y worship  Make a person accountable for their thoughts and behaviours, emotions and beliefs and you will reshape their god. Alllow them to blame a god for their nature or behaviour or the state of the world  and the y never have to take responsibility

We are gods,and we have the power of creation and destruction WE make our moralities we make ourselves who we are. We make the world as it is and we choose our behaviours. Only when we accept this can we start to make a better world and transform ourselves into better people. . . 

12 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Have a go at those who started it  

That's like a child to blame others for you losing control. The conversation went great the week you weren't here.

12 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I've already discussed this  God is a construct of human self aware consciousness, even where a real entity exists which we call god  

You are right. You have discussed this. Now I want to hear from others on the topic.

You are still free to start your own thread. You could call it The Tao of Mr Walker, The Lovable Sociopathic Dictator. Everyone who wants to emulate your perfect life could get their daily dose.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

Define God? to me God is just man made, made to make the dying feel better before they pass away, and if it does make them feel better, good for them i say.

Edited by Baldylocks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Baldylocks said:

Define God? to me God is just man made, made to make the dying feel better before they pass away, and if it does make them feel better, good for them i say.

I don't believe that is wrong at all. Even if a god is real, I think a lot of embellishment has happened for that reason. Pearly gates and streets of gold and so on. I think much of it is for giving comfort to very uncomfortable things.

• Like 2

Just now, nephili said:

I don't believe that is wrong at all. Even if a god is real, I think a lot of embellishment has happened for that reason. Pearly gates and streets of gold and so on. I think much of it is for giving comfort to very uncomfortable things.

It just seems to good to be true for me pearly gates etc, oh how i would love to see my loved ones and friends again in heaven or wherever, but i just cant believe it. I used to as a kid, but it was mainly cause i thought the idea was cool. Now, how we got here i dont know, all im saying is i dont believe in the bible God, like i said before if there is a "God" (whatever you think it is) who created it? if it was always there, why cant everything just have always been there?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

It just seems to good to be true for me pearly gates etc, oh how i would love to see my loved ones and friends again in heaven or wherever, but i just cant believe it. I used to as a kid, but it was mainly cause i thought the idea was cool. Now, how we got here i dont know, all im saying is i dont believe in the bible God, like i said before if there is a "God" (whatever you think it is) who created it? if it was always there, why cant everything just have always been there?

I definitely don't believe in the biblical "God". I don't believe in heaven or hell as described in the bible.

I do however believe that there may be many species of beings with the ability to act as gods over us. But I don't have belief enough in any one idea yet to put it above any other ideas. Since I am right now neutral in my beliefs, I thought this thread would be a good way to expose myself to some new ideas.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, nephili said:

I definitely don't believe in the biblical "God". I don't believe in heaven or hell as described in the bible.

I do however believe that there may be many species of beings with the ability to act as gods over us. But I don't have belief enough in any one idea yet to put it above any other ideas. Since I am right now neutral in my beliefs, I thought this thread would be a fun way to expose myself to some new ideas.

Well we will find out if the bibles version is true or not when we pass away thats for sure, it is cool to see peoples ideas though. I be honest when i came here i never expected to end up in a convo about God, i came here for mysterious stuff sure but mainly story wise (ghosts, urban legends etc), its cool.

Edited by Baldylocks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Baldylocks said:

i came here for mysterious stuff sure but mainly story wise (ghosts, urban legends etc), its cool.

To me, "God" is the biggest mystery of all. It's a fascinating idea and almost everyone has a belief or idea to share about it.

But the ghost and psychic stuff is really interesting to me also. It's just usually nonsense. Not always, but usually.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nephili said:

To me, "God" is the biggest mystery of all. It's a fascinating idea and almost everyone has a belief or idea to share about it.

But the ghost and psychic stuff is really interesting to me also. It's just usually nonsense. Not always, but usually.

Yeah im not a believer in ghosts etc,they are just cool to read, it is like watching a good horror or thriller for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nephili said:

That's like a child to blame others for you losing control. The conversation went great the week you weren't here.

You are right. You have discussed this. Now I want to hear from others on the topic.

You are still free to start your own thread. You could call it The Tao of Mr Walker, The Lovable Sociopathic Dictator. Everyone who wants to emulate your perfect life could get their daily dose.

I accept that when there is no one to present alternative views, opinions, beliefs or facts,  then  there are no arguments   But it is also a bit pointless isn't it, and one of the dangers of modern online media where abuse drives many people away. ?   I was tempted to stay away. This is the only place in the world where i tolerate and talk to people who are often nasty,  vindictive,  and make personal attacks in an attempt to win an argument)   but it would not have been right to do, and an abrogation of my responsibility to argue for truth,  justice,  and the   walker way. :) 

You surely realise that there are as many definitions for god as there are human beings, and that in a thread like this you will encounter many with  which you strongly disagree  ? 

Ps i strongly agree with some of your recent points eg that  there is no heaven or hell or afterlife. However, humans construct for themselves an existence  which is often one of living in a hell on earth, or indeed a heaven on earth. A human can choose either of these options for their existence, or something in between.  

4 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I accept that when there is no one to present alternative views, opinions, beliefs or facts,  then  there are no arguments   But it is also a bit pointless isn't it, and one of the dangers of modern online media where abuse drives many people away. ?

I started by politely asking you to stop with the endless paragraphs. I built up to explaining you can start a thread of your own. Not because you present alternative views but because you ramble on about things past the point of no return.

You surely realise that there are as many definitions for god as there are human beings, and that in a thread like this you will encounter many with  which you strongly disagree  ?  

Look back through this entire thread, I literally have not disagreed with anyone. That isn't the point of this. It isn't to counter point. It isn't to debate. It's to present your believe and sit back and allow others to present theirs. You need to learn how to listen.

Ps i strongly agree with some of your recent points eg that  there is no heaven or hell or afterlife.

I didn't say there isn't a heaven or hell, I said I don't believe in it. My belief could be entirely wrong. My beliefs are like everyone else's including yours, un provable, biased and completely opinion. Just like yours and everyone else's. It's just a friendly way to present beliefs to one another, not trying to sway beliefs or fix beliefs.

What I believe is probably wrong, just like all of us. We do the best we can.

Your approach is wrong because you think this is about getting others to agree with you. That is not the point. Just allow others to give their beliefs. Without commandeering the thread.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, nephili said:

I disagree. If you had such a life, things like words on a forum wouldn't haunt you the way they do. It seems you just can't go without having the last word. In fact I guarantee you will have to respond. You just can't go without what you feel is control. The rest consider it trolling. He who has the most time to sit and type away wins. Go ahead and rant away and prove it right.

I think you hit the nail on the head. :yes: 

9 hours ago, nephili said:
9 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

This is why I defend beliefs and people's religions, (even though I am a particular believer), because I think there is good. I feel, it's for the believer, and not for the task of controlling others. I feel our laws do the latter part. And I think, that it's the comfort and guidance, that each believer needs and uses, that should be the thing to remember here. And I should add, that goes to non-believers who honestly feel they are being guided by what they don't believe and what they see is the world around them. (Well, actually, I think everyone should be aware and guided by the world around them, those who believe, it's helps them.) 

And, I think the important thing is, be honest in what you believe or don't believe. I think that counts. :yes: 

I think what you said, is close to what I believe as well. I don't know, if this is my secular upbringing, but I also can't see the usual ideals of 'Heaven' and the Pearly Gates, and such, as we're dressed in filmy white gowns with wings and playing harps and such. It doesn't make sense to me. But, there is a part of me that things we go somewhere. And that it makes more sense of what that is on that plane of existence. So, with growing up secular, (and getting some of the usual religious ideals third hand) and seeing the world as an adult from that childhood, I just can't believe in the usual mainstream religious bit either. 

I do however believe that there may be many species of beings with the ability to act as gods over us. But I don't have belief enough in any one idea yet to put it above any other ideas. Since I am right now neutral in my beliefs, I thought this thread would be a good way to expose myself to some new ideas.

:hmm:  :D   So, both of you are in the same frame of mind like me. Or, I could be wrong. But, I identify with this. :yes:  

Well we will find out if the bibles version is true or not when we pass away thats for sure, it is cool to see peoples ideas though. I be honest when i came here i never expected to end up in a convo about God, i came here for mysterious stuff sure but mainly story wise (ghosts, urban legends etc), its cool.

Me too. :) 

Well yeah, but I think that depends on where the telling of the story is coming from. ;)  

8 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

Yeah im not a believer in ghosts etc,they are just cool to read, it is like watching a good horror or thriller for me.

Well, I kind of believe in that, because of some really interesting experiences I have had. But, I do find them fascinating as well. So, it's both for me. But, like people's belief, I know it's a subjective thing that I feel the jury is still out on. *shrugs* 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. :yes: 

This is why I defend beliefs and people's religions, (even though I am a particular believer), because I think there is good. I feel, it's for the believer, and not for the task of controlling others. I feel our laws do the latter part. And I think, that it's the comfort and guidance, that each believer needs and uses, that should be the thing to remember here. And I should add, that goes to non-believers who honestly feel they are being guided by what they don't believe and what they see is the world around them. (Well, actually, I think everyone should be aware and guided by the world around them, those who believe, it's helps them.) 

And, I think the important thing is, be honest in what you believe or don't believe. I think that counts. :yes: 

I think what you said, is close to what I believe as well. I don't know, if this is my secular upbringing, but I also can't see the usual ideals of 'Heaven' and the Pearly Gates, and such, as we're dressed in filmy white gowns with wings and playing harps and such. It doesn't make sense to me. But, there is a part of me that things we go somewhere. And that it makes more sense of what that is on that plane of existence. So, with growing up secular, (and getting some of the usual religious ideals third hand) and seeing the world as an adult from that childhood, I just can't believe in the usual mainstream religious bit either. 

:hmm:  :D   So, both of you are in the same frame of mind like me. Or, I could be wrong. But, I identify with this. :yes:  

Me too. :) 

Well yeah, but I think that depends on where the telling of the story is coming from. ;)  

Well, I kind of believe in that, because of some really interesting experiences I have had. But, I do find them fascinating as well. So, it's both for me. But, like people's belief, I know it's a subjective thing that I feel the jury is still out on. *shrugs* 

It is nice to hear peoples opinions on things even if i may not agree or believe etc, aslong as we get on positively about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

It is nice to hear peoples opinions on things even if i may not agree or believe etc, aslong as we get on positively about it.

I agree. :tu: 

• Like 2

I started by politely asking you to stop with the endless paragraphs. I built up to explaining you can start a thread of your own. Not because you present alternative views but because you ramble on about things past the point of no return.

:w00t:Yeah, i hear ya.

Look back through this entire thread, I literally have not disagreed with anyone. That isn't the point of this. It isn't to counter point. It isn't to debate. It's to present your believe and sit back and allow others to present theirs. You need to learn how to listen.

Yeah well when you know it all one is exempt from having to listen.:whistle: I've always wondered where that train goes when it leaves the station.:w00t:

I didn't say there isn't a heaven or hell, I said I don't believe in it. My belief could be entirely wrong. My beliefs are like everyone else's including yours, un provable, biased and completely opinion. Just like yours and everyone else's. It's just a friendly way to present beliefs to one another, not trying to sway beliefs or fix beliefs.

Bonus Like,:tu:. I am restraining myself from making responses, I have found that if I hold a large stuffie by the throat in my left hand and squeeze and release while reading some posts helps.:innocent::w00t:

jmccr8

• Like 3

21 hours ago, No Solid Ground said:

Your profound arrogance, unrestrained presumption, and outsized ego is just stunning to behold. How do you manage to live among lowly humans? 

Or even retain a position here  ????   :huh:

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, nephili said:

have you considered  WHY he was absent for a week  ... just about exactly   one week    ;)  

18 hours ago, nephili said:

He refuses to that and it has been suggested many times .  The reason is , he doesnt want to ... he wants to do what he is doing here . That is all he ever does . 

Reporting such disruptors seems the best tactic ... if enough people do it,  some action might get taken .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

:w00t:Yeah, i hear ya.

Yeah well when you know it all one is exempt from having to listen.:whistle: I've always wondered where that train goes when it leaves the station.:w00t:

Bonus Like,:tu:. I am restraining myself from making responses, I have found that if I hold a large stuffie by the throat in my left hand and squeeze and release while reading some posts helps.:innocent::w00t:

jmccr8

:D 

GF's older boy had anger issues around 4  .... so i suggested similar   ... got him one of those blow up . weighted at the bottom, self righting 'punch me ' cartoon characters ... about his own height . 

next  time he lost it I   suggested ;  "  Use Mr Punchy "  He really whalloped him, Mr Punchy hit the deck bounced straight back and 'head butted' him the face and put him on his arzzz     '" WHAAAAAAAA  ! "   :D  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, back to earth said:

have you considered  WHY he was absent for a week  ... just about exactly   one week    ;)  

I have definitely considered that :D

Maybe he is taking another vacation this week :)

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

I imagine the next 'vacation'  may be longer   ;)  

(and now , I have finally figured out why you  have gone blue and are poking your tongue out like that  )

drum.gif

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, back to earth said:

I imagine the next 'vacation'  may be longer   ;)  

(and now , I have finally figured out why you  have gone blue and are poking your tongue out like that  )

drum.gif

It's like the lizards that fan out their neck flaps. I'm trying to confuse and slightly intimidate. I can also spit really far. Watch out!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nephili said:

What I believe is probably wrong, just like all of us. We do the best we can.

Your approach is wrong because you think this is about getting others to agree with you. That is not the point. Just allow others to give their beliefs. Without commandeering the thread.

If a belief or opinion or point of view is not  logically valid, and strong enough for you to be able to defend it strongly and logically, then there is no point in you forming or holding it.

Beliefs and opinions, like values, underpin who we are  and thus how we think and behave, and we need to be fully cognizant of the beliefs we hold, and the psychological drivers which cause us to form and hold certain beliefs.

Robust discussion and debate allows us all to   refine, strengthen, modify or alter,   and to better understand our own opinions beliefs and values.

Left unchallenged we just grow them, like mushrooms in the dark, with only our own mind to provide the fertiliser.  That said, i love discussion and debate and have made my life around teaching . 

if you hold a value or belief and have good evidence based and logical reasons for holding it, then you SHOULD try to convince others to hold a similar belief or opinion. Only in the discussion and argument will  who is right, and in what parts of the argument ,  be established.  

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

If a belief or opinion or point of view is not  logically valid, and strong enough for you to be able to defend it strongly and logically, then there is no point in you forming or holding it.

I copied and pasted the forum guidelines. I bolded all of the parts you are consistently violating. I will notify a moderator if I have to. This is not a place to defend or offend. This is a thread about ideas and beliefs not YOUR facts.

"Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

The Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs board is primarily aimed at discussing general topics pertaining to religion and spirituality, for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the Spirituality vs Skepticism board."

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

you SHOULD try to convince others to hold a similar belief or opinion. Only in the discussion and argument will  who is right

"for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the Spirituality vs Skepticism board" - Forum Guidelines

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

• The topic was locked

I'm going to lock this thread for the moment.... some cooling of heels and reviewing of rules and guidelines for all members participating in this discussion is wise.

• Like 2