Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Define "God".

nephili

5 hours ago, No Solid Ground said:

So it seems then that this belief and faith in 'God' is inseparably tied up with a belief in human domination of the natural world. Is there an explanation in Christianity for this 'dominion' (and therefore, separateness) that is apparently attributed to how 'God' manufactured humans? 

-----

Oxford Dictionary:

Dominion: noun. Sovereignty or control. ‘man's attempt to establish dominion over nature’

Dominate: adjective. Having power and influence over others. 'they are now in an even more dominant position in the market'

----- 

and THERE is the root of the problem (one of them ! ) .

all other religious similarities, in that area, see man and woman as PART of the same creation, they work with and not over and have 'dominion' over 

.. yes, its all about   ' the will ' again     ...   < sigh  >  .

actually its all about       the 'Triumph of the  Will' ... over ... and with dominion ! 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

and THERE is the root of the problem (one of them ! ) .

all other religious similarities, in that area, see man and woman as PART of the same creation, they work with and not over and have 'dominion' over 

.. yes, its all about   ' the will ' again     ...   < sigh  >  .

actually its all about       the 'Triumph of the  Will' ... over ... and with dominion ! 

Actually, it describes exactly how man behaves the world over, regardless of religious affiliation, as the slash-and-burn agricultural practices decimating the tropics of the followers of those other religions clearly demonstrates. Living in harmony with nature is the exclusive province of pre-agricultural hunter-gather societies. Man started raping the land the first time he stuck a plow in it. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's a feeling and quite irrational. It's the feeling a child has for a good mother that loves them. You don"t just believe she loves you, you know she does.

Which is entirely justified and evidenced, not based on faith.  'Good' mothers provide plenty of evidence of their love by definition, faith isn't really needed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Which is entirely justified and evidenced, not based on faith.  'Good' mothers provide plenty of evidence of their love by definition, faith isn't really needed.

Life is full of wonderful things that aren't "really needed" in a material sense, man of the worldly mind.

• Like 2

Here is something I'd like to add to the topic. I'm really asking only about belief.

Do you believe "God" is detectable externally? Either by technology or by senses or something else. Like can you see "God"? Can you hear "God"? Could you touch "God"? Can you smell or taste "God"? Is there a scientific theory that hints at "God"? What kinds of technology could possibly detect "God"? Or is "God" completely undetectable in your belief?

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nephili said:

Here is something I'd like to add to the topic. I'm really asking only about belief.

Do you believe "God" is detectable externally? Either by technology or by senses or something else. Like can you see "God"? Can you hear "God"? Could you touch "God"? Can you smell or taste "God"? Is there a scientific theory that hints at "God"? What kinds of technology could possibly detect "God"? Or is "God" completely undetectable in your belief?

I would have to say yes, if god is everything and most importantly the part of us that knows that there is something more and the experience of growing to understand it. that includes the sciences because they are a gift and tool for learning and understanding.

jmccr8

• Like 2

God : the realest MC A.K.A Dr. Rocs tha mic rite.

Ya heard

really? come on now. Just shut your mind up for a second and listen.  Then you tell me your definition.....and hold up....remember I said YOU. Not what others have told you or how you feel about it....shut up really shut up and just be....then tell me that answer....xoJ

9 hours ago, nephili said:

And since it's asking in the 'you', I will answer in the 'me'. :D I will add, that I have heard of various areas that believe there is the 'god' particle and that they think God is detectable. Of the various things I notice on that, it seems that it could be 'close' to that or it's just believed to be so. 

But going back to your question nephili, I would think, no, not entirely. I would think it's all in self-metaphoric assumptions, maybe. Now, my belief, which abhors materialism and feels it's telling me, yes, a higher power exists, but that's not proof for me or you or anyone else. So, that part of your answer, would be no. I guess, that's why I feel how subjective belief is, and that it's not very plausible for it to be objective. 

(Man, you're making me reflect strongly on this nephili!!! :o    ;)  ) I like you, and I'm afraid I might disappoint you on my answer. Because, I really don't think I can 'prove' or physically touch God or my higher power. I could assume, like I sometimes feel that maybe we all could be the same soul in an non-linear set of planes of existences. ( I got that from a Native American historical fiction. It's just a way of looking at something in a philosophical way and imagining it. :) ) And even though, I might see material things giving me 'thoughts' and 'ideas' the materials themselves might be provable, but not provable to the belief. That would be subjective assumption, I guess. 

I actually don't think 'God' can be touched, proved, and such. And I see it as a higher power, and I feel, it's not something that can be done either. Yet, I'm not waivering on this, because I think that your powerful question and my answers doesn't affect any changes in my 'believing' in it. I wonder, if this makes a difference? :blush: 

7 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I would have to say yes, if god is everything and most importantly the part of us that knows that there is something more and the experience of growing to understand it. that includes the sciences because they are a gift and tool for learning and understanding.

jmccr8

OH, :huh: I never thought of it like that. Then again, yeah, that makes a good point, jmccr8. :yes: 

5 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

Ya heard

Heard what? 

3 hours ago, Assetbuilder408 said:

really? come on now. Just shut your mind up for a second and listen.  Then you tell me your definition.....and hold up....remember I said YOU. Not what others have told you or how you feel about it....shut up really shut up and just be....then tell me that answer....xoJ

I thought nephilli already asked it in that way, asking each person in the subjective form? 

I wonder, though, what would you think would be each poster's answers? What would be yours? 

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Life is full of wonderful things that aren't "really needed" in a material sense, man of the worldly mind.

Sure, since my mind is currently dwelling in the world, it is indeed a worldly mind.  I just don't think one's view of a good mother is an analogy for faith, allowing of course the inherent difficulty in defining or providing any accurate analogy for it.  To put it another way, for all the lauding of virtues of faith, wouldn't you rather as a child believe that your mother loves you based on the evidence, namely that they treat you like they love you, instead of believing it on faith?  I would.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Heard what?

God's holy hooks, funky beats and righteous rhymes my friend ;)

1 minute ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

6 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

Ya heard

Heard. Troll somewhere else please and thank you.

4 hours ago, Assetbuilder408 said:

Troll. Now I will shut up. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nephili said:

Heard. Troll somewhere else please and thank you.

So let me guess, deep down you feel you're god huh?

9 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

So let me guess, deep down you feel you're god huh?

Deep down I don't feel I need to justify that with an answer. There are brilliant people on here with brilliant things to say. Join in if you would like.

No offense, MC funky beats and Dr righteous rhymes are just more to derail the conversation. So please, tell me about your belief in "God". I want to hear from everyone I can. But please stay on topic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nephili said:

Deep down I don't feel I need to justify that with an answer. There are brilliant people on here with brilliant things to say. Join in if you would like.

No offense, MC funky beats and Dr righteous rhymes are just more to derail the conversation. So please, tell me about your belief in "God". I want to hear from everyone I can. But please stay on topic.

Well I was on topic I thought,  aren't we discussing ideas of what we think our definition of god could be.

Is there a right answer to your question I should have said?

I think you may have answered my question without meaning to as you've shown you're elitist holier than thou attitude to the question.

The very topic of defining god is troll fodder btw, especially if you decide who's opinion is valid and who's isnt.

6 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

Well I was on topic I thought,  aren't we discussing ideas of what we think our definition of god could be.

I think you may have answered my question without meaning to as you've shown you're elitist holier than thou attitude to the question.

The very topic of defining god is troll fodder btw, especially if you decide who's opinion is valid and who's isnt.

Ok. So you believe "God" is a MC that speaks ghetto slang and rocks the mic? Ok. Sorry if I offended you. I didn't realize people believe such things. How enlightening.

• Like 1

Just now, nephili said:

Ok. So you believe "God" is a MC that speaks ghetto slang and rocks the mic? Ok. Sorry if I offended you. I didn't realize people believe such things. How enlightening.

For all intents and purpose of the topic at hand lets say I do believe god is a MC that wouldn't Inherently mean that I think he speak "ghetto speak" that's what's known as an assumption. It seems that you could use a bit of enlightenment, especially if you wish to wrap such an apparent closed mind around assorted concepts of god.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

For all intents and purpose of the topic at hand lets say I do believe god is a MC that wouldn't Inherently mean that I think he speak "ghetto speak" that's what's known as an assumption. It seems that you could use a bit of enlightenment, especially if you wish to wrap such an apparent closed mind around assorted concepts of god.

Actually, you are right. I am here for enlightenment. I've been open about that since the thread started.

"God" as a Master of Ceremonies is not bad. In my own uneducated opinion.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:
1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Heard what?

Well, then, no. :no: I haven't heard that. I wonder how you would think anyone would have? 

49 minutes ago, nephili said:
5 hours ago, Assetbuilder408 said:

Like I said, I thought you're the original in the asking of this question. :yes:  :tu: 

22 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:
31 minutes ago, nephili said:

Maybe you should have defined more into what you did post. I couldn't understand it and that's why I asked the 'question'. 

13 minutes ago, nephili said:

I have found, by observation, that many have different outlooks and idols to see their beliefs and higher powers. Kind of like this character calling God the Hugh Hefner on high in "Coming To America"  I guess, to some, it's their way of identifying their beliefs. I can't see it, and believe it's too vague to be seen to identify it that way. But, that's me. I actually can't take things like that seriously, especially if it's like taking from trendy things like Church signs like this: 

churchsign_facebook2.jpg

*shrugs*

17 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:
22 minutes ago, nephili said:

I don't think she does have a closed mind. I do believe she has a very open one. :) 

• Like 2

That's my point,  since we can't know for sure a absolute answer god is an MC to me today.

Tomorrow however god may be something else entirely and if we are too uptight about it we may miss out on the real truth, for that matter to reference earlier you may very well be god for all I know.  heck we could all be god at once all throughout time. God could be energy or even just an old man playing skee-ball on the boardwalk at the jersy shore.

• Like 2

True to hear those divine gooves would probably be ones undoing.

Her mind appears more open than I initially thought

Edited by Tacoavenger17
I got blisters on me fingahz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

Tomorrow however god may be something else entirely

That is a great point. Everyone should expand their ideas through life as they learn and experience more. People who don't worry me.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Sure, since my mind is currently dwelling in the world, it is indeed a worldly mind.  I just don't think one's view of a good mother is an analogy for faith, allowing of course the inherent difficulty in defining or providing any accurate analogy for it.  To put it another way, for all the lauding of virtues of faith, wouldn't you rather as a child believe that your mother loves you based on the evidence, namely that they treat you like they love you, instead of believing it on faith?  I would.

You've strayed off into the wilderness. I wasn't comparing the experience of a mother's love with Faith, I was comparing the feeling of love and being loved. It's a reciprocal  exchange of emotion and the closest analogy I know of for the feeling of religious Faith.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nephili said:

That is a great point. Everyone should expand their ideas through life as they learn and experience more. People who don't worry me.

You not of the mind set that folks you see as worrying should have their thoughts restricted are you?

That's dare I say, worrying. If so.

9 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

That's my point,  since we can't know for sure a absolute answer god is an MC to me today.

Tomorrow however god may be something else entirely and if we are too uptight about it we may miss out on the real truth, for that matter to reference earlier you may very well be god for all I know.  heck we could all be god at once all throughout time. God could be energy or even just an old man playing skee-ball on the boardwalk at the jersy shore.

Well, this I can see on the same level as you do. Plus, in how you put it in a subjective point of view. And yes, God could be those things, or a Goddess in my point of view. Or as some movies use creativity in their storytelling, God could be George Burns or Alanis Morissette. 

It's how I saw your previous post: 

7 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

Ya heard

Which came across to me like a statement, and that I definitely heard. In which, no,  I haven't. ;) 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked