Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog understands 1,022 words

UM-Bot

Chaser the dog is able to understand more than 1,000 words for different objects.

• Like 2

Of course she does...my Ringo understands a great many words as well. Chaser is certainly a 'doggie genius' but even moderately intelligent dogs have a much greater vocabulary then we give them credit for.

For example, I can long longer spell the words, fox, squirrel or bunny (let alone say these words) Ringo now knows the spelling for these animals. I have to toddler lock my new refrigerator as he will play with the ice and water portal (he especially likes ice). Ringo can open the back gate so I have to use a bike lock on it. I have to clean my toilets daily as he loves toilet water and can readily open the lids. Had to move his kibble to a high kitchen shelf as he can open both the cabinet and the so called 'pet proof' container.

Yeah, no surprise to me how smart dogs are.

• Like 1

It's consistent with a wild animal learning what the various sounds in it's environment are associated with or might lead to occurring.

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's consistent with a wild animal learning what the various sounds in it's environment are associated with or might lead to occurring.

I would've never believed how smart guinea pigs actually are, until I saw one that had been trained. They're capable of knowing a variety of sounds, words, and they can also memorize the day to day routines of the humans who care for them.

Edited by WoIverine

1 minute ago, WoIverine said:

I would've never believed how smart guinea pigs actually are, until I saw one that had been trained. They're capable of knowing a variety of sounds, words, and they can also memorize the day to day routines of the humans who care for them.

Exactly. Most people tend to think of animals as living automatons, which they most certainly are not.

• Like 1