Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Addicted to the Internet?

Still Waters

For any urban dweller, it is hard to imagine life without the internet. It's almost as though our day begins and ends being hooked on the internet. We are so dependent on it that it has also become a means of shopping, ordering food or groceries, transportation, so on and so forth. So imagine out of the sudden when you don't get access to the internet! What would happen then?

http://food.ndtv.com/health/addicted-to-the-internet-withdrawal-symtoms-may-affect-heart-rate-1706631

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2017 at 8:51 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I can quit anytime i want.

I don't believe you. You'd miss UM to much ;)...

9 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I don't believe you. You'd miss UM to much ;)...

Can always buy the paper copy and post in comments. Just takes a little bit longer to update. 

• Like 2

In all seriousness, sure I'd miss not having the internet. It can be a great tool if used wisely. I could give up television in a blink...but not the net or my mobile phone...yeah! I'm hooked :rolleyes:..

• Like 1

I spent the vast majority of my life without the internet. I'm certain I could do without it personally speaking. However, the world now requires you in many instances to 'go to the website' or 'receive an email' or 'send a digital photo' etc. Not even to mention how necessary a cell phone has now become. Life moves on and the internet is now part of life. That said, I watched a young lady have a total meltdown in the grocery store because she neglected to bring her smart phone shopping...she was literally crying. I thought she needed a phone for an emergency call and offered to let her use mine. She told me that wasn't the problem...she was crying simply because she did not have her phone with her and she was experiencing anxiety over it. I was literally dumb founded...something like this does seem to be an addiction or a mental problem IMO.

• Like 7

I have not problem turning my back on the internet. Mostly due to how being off it is a good thing sometimes. My personal use of it is listening to music, DIY stuff, and UM. 

And doing without the internet is healthier than what exactly? Free time is always going to be spent doing something we consider enjoyable or to kill time. If you take away anything enjoyable then you'll still get withdrawal symptoms. Take it away long enough and the world will adapt and people will just get addicted to something else. The concept is often fantasized with the idea that we'll all go back to the 80's or something. Kids would read more books...etc. But even reading too many books isn't healthy. Just about any hobby you can think of are addictive. Before the internet I certainly spent too much time in the garage tinkering with an old car if I wasn't out with the boys getting into mischief or chasing girls. I don't consider anything I spent my free time on before the ineternet to be any healthier than sitting here on my laptop now.

• Like 2

The age group (in that study) is quite young, i.e. most likely to be online with social media stuff like facebook etc.  This would explain more why they might get anxious without their fix.  I am not sure the same physiological symptoms would be displayed for other agegroups necessarily....  For example, if being online was used mostly for shopping, banking etc...why would that cause anxiety to then go offline? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Render said:

Maybe not so much the internet as a whole, but google maps I cannot do without.

Oh I'm in the same boat.

It's sad how much I use Google maps lol :blink:

I don't have a smart phone or a cell/mobile phone and survive quite well without one.  I do have an iPad and admit I probably spend too much time in it, but I am retired and regard it as a reference library with so much interesting stuff on it, including this site.  I think I would miss the internet initially but would get over it.  I lived for 60+ years without it and still know what pen and paper are used for, and how to use real (paper) books!  

Where I go camping I get no service but I do miss it. On the up side when camping you can do alot of things. Stuck at home I think I would have issues. Like talking to myself, oh crap I just told a joke and can't stop laughing I think I'm fubard as I'm home alone. 

Anyone else completely rely on the internet for their job and livelihood?

I think nearly all of us would mentally, and perhaps socially, be in pretty big trouble if it were to simply not exist tomorrow.

I truly WISH I didn't have to rely on the internet so much, but I essentially NEED to as it is a major part of my job and some of my greatest passions depend on it. And no I do not mean the nasty one :rofl:

On 6/1/2017 at 3:51 AM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I can quit anytime i want.

I could say this, but I'd know it wouldn't be true. 

• Like 1

There are aspects of the internet I could easily quit but others would be more difficult. But seriously, we're all addicted to electrons (electricity) already. Go without your power for a few days ...do this in mid winter when it's like 5 degrees F and tell me you're not wanting your power back on PDQ. I did just that (and for 6 days) one winter after a terrible winter hurricane (a Nor'easter) that knocked out several transformers. When that power came back on I was ecstatic beyond reason.

Guess what I'm trying to say, we are all dependent upon our technology anyway, and the internet isn't any different from wanting a car or public transportation over a horse and buggy.

• Like 1

The internet is just so useful. The whole world's information is at your fingertips. 

And of course, we're looking at cat videos, but oh well.

Seriously, though...it's tough for someone who likes being in their head to walk away from it. But there are things to do. 

• Like 1

Not to digress but why does the author and do others stipulate "For any urban dweller"?

People in rural areas probably shop more online and heavier rely upon the internet to stay in touch.

Edited by aka CAT

The internet is where I make my money and do my job. So...well, I kinda need it to exist.