Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Scariest Urban Legend From Every State

rashore

WOW. I’ve never even heard of the Dog Boy. The Dover Lights, The Devil’s Den, even the Crescent Hotel are well known, but not that one. I wonder what the guy’s sources are. 

Edited by The Ghastly Grimoire

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure it counts as an Urban Legend but it's a local story which hasn't been proved but unsure where the element of truth comes into it that all Urban Legends have to have, but anyway ...

Where I stay in West Dunbartonshire in the UK there's a local 'Urban Legend' my Auntie told me when I was a child and a few older ones have said they heard the same story but I've always tried searching the internet every couple of years or so and there's no mention of it whatsoever so it appears to just be a word of mouth tale between some local folk of a certain age.

There's a road called 'Old Renton Road' it's meant to be pretty haunted. Things like people seeing old carts following them if you are using the road driving yourself after midnight and look in the rear mirrors etc.

Anyway this story goes two local teenage girls sneaked out to go to a disco ... they got changed at one of their houses after telling their parents some bogus story. Being teenagers they didn't have much money so instead of getting a taxi to the destination they decided to walk it and were walking the road in question.

A car stopped and asked them if they wanted a lift, they happily obliged.

They said the man was a nice man. Very polite and well mannered. He was asking them where they were going and said he'd take them and said he hopes they have a great night etc.

They noticed very quickly into the journey that the guys feet were devils hoof'ed type feet and when they looked in the rear view mirror inside the car the guy was the Devil. It was the Devil's reflection staring back at them. They both made an excuse and said they wanted out of the car, the man driving duely obliged and said he hoped they were OK and again for them to have a good night ... he pulled over, let them out and drove away leaving them shaken up. 

Could have been two teenagers looking for attention back in the 60's or 70's. In fact that's probably more than likely - but I've always thought it was a creepy story, so thought I'd share.

• Like 2

Wiltshire. UK. While traveling alone on the 55 bus late at night, lots of people have reported a hooded figure sitting on the backseats. He looks a bit like Destiny from the Sandman comics, but as a teenager. On his headphones, he's listening to really atonal noises, like non-human sounds from a torture chamber.

Interesting... I didn't think West Dunbartonshire or Wiltshire UK were part of the states...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

Interesting... I didn't think West Dunbartonshire or Wiltshire UK were part of the states...

They aren't but they are states/regions of the UK ... or is it only USA stories that's allowed? be nice to see if the other moderators feel the same and us pesky Brits can reign in our stories and leave the rest of you's to it ....

10 minutes ago, Dumbarton'ite said:

They aren't but they are states/regions of the UK ... or is it only USA stories that's allowed? be nice to see if the other moderators feel the same and us pesky Brits can reign in our stories and leave the rest of you's to it ....

Oh gosh. The OP is specifically about urban legends in the U.S.. So yes, within this thread it is about urban legends of the states of the U.S.. And most certainly stories from all over the world are welcome here on UM. There are plenty of threads out of our wonderful Brits that if people started posting U.S. stories in that I would comment to the same effect as I did in this thread.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rashore said:

Oh gosh. The OP is specifically about urban legends in the U.S.. So yes, within this thread it is about urban legends of the states of the U.S.. And most certainly stories from all over the world are welcome here on UM. There are plenty of threads out of our wonderful Brits that if people started posting U.S. stories in that I would comment to the same effect as I did in this thread.

I'm not stupid, I gathered it was about the states in the USA but is it so wrong chipping in with a story of our own from regions of the UK?

I for one wouldn't have made a comment like your's in a different thread unless it was a thread about the occult (for example) and it was a pointless story about the Loch Ness Monster or a warewolf (something totally unrelated)

Edited by Dumbarton'ite

3 hours ago, Dumbarton'ite said:

I'm not stupid, I gathered it was about the states in the USA but is it so wrong chipping in with a story of our own from regions of the UK?

I for one wouldn't have made a comment like your's in a different thread unless it was a thread about the occult (for example) and it was a pointless story about the Loch Ness Monster or a warewolf (something totally unrelated)

I'm not sure why you seem unsettled by this. But you do seem unsettled. But the thread is about U.S. stories, so chipping in about the UK can be a bit derailing and does not let the UK shine for region it is in it's own right. If you don't find a topic about the UK that you would like to add to, you can always create a new thread to showcase the UL's of the UK. I'm sure it would be a lovely addition to the UL section here.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sleepy hollow road is a joke for the Kentucky Entry. (As would Waverly)

You should look around Rockcastle County Ky.

• Confused 1

• 7 months later...

Missouri has a much better, scary urban legend at the former Missouri State Penitentiary in Jefferson City, Missouri.  It opened before the civil war in 1836  until it closed around 2004.  They have ghost hunter type tours these days after it closed.  Lots of weird stories come out of this prison.  They had this old gas chamber and had a dual execution in it.  I toured the prison when it was fully operational in the 1990s.  It was unsettling and scary, more so than other prisons I have toured.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Megaro said:

Missouri has a much better, scary urban legend at the former Missouri State Penitentiary in Jefferson City, Missouri.  It opened before the civil war in 1836  until it closed around 2004.  They have ghost hunter type tours these days after it closed.  Lots of weird stories come out of this prison.  They had this old gas chamber and had a dual execution in it.  I toured the prison when it was fully operational in the 1990s.  It was unsettling and scary, more so than other prisons I have toured.

That sounds interesting... what's the UL associated with the place? Or is the ghosts the UL?

rashore, I would say the urban legend is the collection of reports of ghost sightings and odd happenings at the location.  A quick internet search of ghosts and Missouri State Penitentiary will give you a pretty good idea of the legends.  There is also a pretty nifty website that gives a little information about the location and offers spook house type tours of the former prison.  I haven't taken the tour, but it intrigues me.  Like I said, I saw and "felt" the prison while it was in use -- I think it would be interesting to re-experience the location now that it is out of service.  

I caught the tail end of a ghost hunter show where they did an overnight investigation there.  My recollection is that they focused on a place or two that would have been in general population and a subterranean tunnel.  The areas that gave me that "odd" feeling were in the yard where the inmates had rec time, obviously the gas chamber, and then the barracks that were built during the civil war.  

Edited by Megaro
grammar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 6/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, rashore said:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/2016/02/here-is-the-scariest-urban-legend-from-every-state/

No opening paragraphs for this one to quote out, just a straight up A-W list of every state with an urban legend for each. I'm not sure if I can agree with the authors use of scary, some of them are more weird or humorous than scary IMO. But it is a fun list of urban legends :tu:

The Chupacabra is not a New Mexico myth it is from Puerto Rico.   I think the Roswell crash is our scariest myth.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:46 AM, Megaro said:

The areas that gave me that "odd" feeling were in the yard where the inmates had rec time,

From my experience doing time in a Gang Max, the rec yard is where the most murders happen. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here in Illinois we have what they call the Illinois Legislature. Myth is that they represent the people.

sorry couldn't resist.