Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Scariest Urban Legend From Every State

rashore

Must've had to scrape pretty good for examples. Most of those legends aren't what I would call of the urban variety.  Some of them like The Rake are creepypastas. I agree with the comments too that they could've found much better known examples for some . (and a few are associated with multiple states.)

• Like 1

I gotta agree to an extent.. some of them were a bit too true as well for my tastes, and some wander a bit too far off UL and into cryptid and ghosts land. And Lake Michigan is apparently the state of Michigan on this list, lol. But I still thought it was a fun list, just a straight up list of stuff. If nothing else, a new topic to get some conversational balls rolling.

Don't agree with some of those. Texas entry should be the ghosts of the Alamo, I mean come on it's Texas! :lol:

Also there are some good "ghost light" legends in Arkansas, better than that bad photoshop of a dog face boy

• Like 1

Yeah, but ghosts are kind of a different area of legend than UL's. I think cryptids are kind of their own thing too in a lot of ways- and really, Wisconsin and Michigan got better weres IMO :)

The Skinning Tom from Tennessee I thought interesting- it's a version of "perils of lovers lane" that I hadn't seen before.

The story of the face on the UT building in Galeveston is real. I think Lone Star Spirits has an article on it. According to them,  the land was actually at one time part of the bay. In the 1900s there was a terrible hurricane so maybe the face belongs to someone who was a victim of it. Also you have the ghosts of the Alamo, plus ghosts at Presidio La Bahia at Goliad. The chapel there Our Lady of Loreto is still in use as a church., There is also the San Antonio Donkey lady. 

The  thing on mercritis disease, well  it is an actual diease. However women get it and according to  Wikepedia   it has something to do with childbirth. Seems  cows as well as humans can get it.

Bummer, its one of those slideshow sites, only viewed the first page.

California — Alien Blood Poisons Entire Hospital

"In all, 23 of the 37 emergency staff members experienced one symptom.""

confused-meme.jpg

Georgia's ol' green eyes in Chickamauga Battlefield was famous where I grew up.

http://themoonlitroad.com/chickamauga-battlefield-ghosts/

It's much scarier than baby footprints.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/chick.html

Edited by Michelle

9 minutes ago, Goodf3llow said:

Bummer, its one of those slideshow sites, only viewed the first page.

California — Alien Blood Poisons Entire Hospital

"In all, 23 of the 37 emergency staff members experienced one symptom.""

confused-meme.jpg

You misquoted that...

"In all, 23 of the 37 emergency room staff members experienced at least one symptom. Five were hospitalized for the rest of the night."

Considering the symptoms were passing out and/or losing control of their limbs, and a couple folks had longer lasting effects, that's kind of scary. People falling over all over.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, rashore said:

You misquoted that...

"In all, 23 of the 37 emergency room staff members experienced at least one symptom. Five were hospitalized for the rest of the night."

Considering the symptoms were passing out and/or losing control of their limbs, and a couple folks had longer lasting effects, that's kind of scary. People falling over all over.

Yea, still makes no sense..it says "entire hospital".

AZ - The fire in the sky story is a classic but I find some of the stories of the Mogollon Monster to be scary as well 

In a popular version of a story told by the Boy Scouts, a Native American chief went through a magic ritual to give himself heightened strength and fighting abilities in order to get back at a warrior who took over the tribe and stole his wife. However, he ended up turning into a vicious beast and massacred everyone in his tribe. Years later, a man named William Spade and his wife were said to have been brutally attacked by the monster on their wedding day and had their severed heads left hanging from a tree. Today, Spade Ranch, the area of land supposedly claimed by William Spade years ago, is part of a Boy Scout camp called Camp Geronimo. Arizonan Legends 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

AZ - The fire in the sky story is a classic but I find some of the stories of the Mogollon Monster to be scary as well 

In a popular version of a story told by the Boy Scouts, a Native American chief went through a magic ritual to give himself heightened strength and fighting abilities in order to get back at a warrior who took over the tribe and stole his wife. However, he ended up turning into a vicious beast and massacred everyone in his tribe. Years later, a man named William Spade and his wife were said to have been brutally attacked by the monster on their wedding day and had their severed heads left hanging from a tree. Today, Spade Ranch, the area of land supposedly claimed by William Spade years ago, is part of a Boy Scout camp called Camp Geronimo. Arizonan Legends 

Now we are talking about my old stomping grounds there in Heber-Overgaard. Mr's ZZ would freak out about the "Mogollon Monster" when we camped out up on the rim.

The movie "Fire in the Sky" portrayed Heber and the gas station scene where Travis called. Only thing is, there is NO pay phone there! :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Now we are talking about my old stomping grounds there in Heber-Overgaard. Mr's ZZ would freak out about the "Mogollon Monster" when we camped out up on the rim.

The movie "Fire in the Sky" portrayed Heber and the gas station scene where Travis called. Only thing is, there is NO pay phone there! :lol:

Thats awesome, im planning a beat the heat trip up that way in August , I cant wait ive never really explored the area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Thats awesome, im planning a beat the heat trip up that way in August , I cant wait ive never really explored the area. 

Good deal amigo, it's about 20 degrees cooler up there.

We spent a lot of time in the forest in that part of the state.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

Yea, still makes no sense..it says "entire hospital".

You're right that the headline itself is misleading by saying "entire hospital"... But your misquoting the original text from the article only twists the UL more out of shape. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there was already a legend shift in that entry- the author states it happened in 1984 when the real case happened in 1994. These little misquotes are what causes changes and shifts in UL's

And this is one of the ones off the list I thought a bit too true to really use for the UL aspect. Here's the actual case:

http://discovermagazine.com/1995/apr/analysisofatoxic493

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez

Interesting I live between Kansas and Missouri and our Urban Legends are the dead body under the mattress and the Hamburger Man. The dead body under the mattress I don't think personally is native to Missouri given there has been similar cases. And as far as Hamburger Man I have lived in Kansas for 7 years and this is the first time I have heard this legend. 

• 3 months later...

My state of West Virginia has the Flatwoods Monster listed as its Urban Legend of choice, which is kind of surprising because I don't think of that incident as urban legend in the traditional sense. In the annals of the unexplained, that one is generally classified as a UFO/close encounter case. If it were my list, I would have probably picked the Vanishing Hitchhiker of Huntington's Fifth Street Hill. Now THAT'S a classic urban legend tale, lol.

When I was a little kid "Bloody Mary" made me scared of bathroom mirrors at night.  I couldn't believe that kids would even try that

On 10/19/2017 at 6:08 PM, Spirit Ninja said:

When I was a little kid "Bloody Mary" made me scared of bathroom mirrors at night.  I couldn't believe that kids would even try that

Did it.

We didn't see anything.

• Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Did it.

We didn't see anything.

Wow, you were much braver than me as a kid.... and you survived to tell the tale 

I’m just sad that there are no states starting with b, e, j, q, x, y or z. (I may have been oblivious to that factoid :ph34r:)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 9:08 PM, Spirit Ninja said:

Me, too! Somehow,  I had developed a phobia of being around mirrors at night, even before ever attempting to try contacting 'Bloody Mary.' I was terrified that I would accidentally think about her, and thus, actually SEE her if I looked into a mirror at night.

Later, as a preteen, my friends and I did actually play the game...and it still was unsettling, lol. When you stare into a mirror, especially in low light, for long enough, you effectively evoke a state of hypnagogia  and will believe that your image will start to change. It's the same concept that applies to mirror scrying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheresaHPIR said:

Me, too! Somehow,  I had developed a phobia of being around mirrors at night, even before ever attempting to try contacting 'Bloody Mary.' I was terrified that I would accidentally think about her, and thus, actually SEE her if I looked into a mirror at night.

Later, as a preteen, my friends and I did actually play the game...and it still was unsettling, lol. When you stare into a mirror, especially in low light, for long enough, you effectively evoke a state of hypnagogia  and will believe that your image will start to change. It's the same concept that applies to mirror scrying. 

Mirror scrying never worked for me, either. 

I really wanted it to, and I have a really pretty black mirror...that is just a set around. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad they didn't cop-out with Florida and just say skunk ape. Although, the devil's chair is almost as lame. I saw it several years ago, and it's more publicity stunt for Cassadaga than something remotely interesting.