Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study casts doubt on 'big fluffy T. rex'

Still Waters

Despite its ancestors having feathers, Tyrannosaurus rex most likely had scaly skin, according to fossil evidence.

Researchers say the huge predator had scales much like modern reptiles rather than feathers or fluff.

The dinosaur may have ditched its feathers because it no longer needed insulation when it reached gigantic proportions, they propose.

But the findings are unlikely to end the long-running debate about the physical appearance of T. rex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40172587

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/tyrannosaurus-rex-skin-fossils-feathers-scales-science/

• Like 6

I can't imagine that Jurassic Park would have had the same.impact if t Rex had feathers,  or fluff..

• Like 4

I'll vote for T-Rex with no feathers! looks way cooler ;)

• Like 1

Guest brizink

T-Rex had feathers, not for flight or insulation but only among males (females had almost none) for mating purposes. Like peacocks kind of

I dunno personally I like it better with feathers, and this kinda smells of some researchers wanting to preserve the "cooler" (debatable!) scaly T-Rex of their childhoods.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

Note that the title is a bit misleading, as there is still the possibility of T. rex having feathers. Only skin on small areas of the neck, pelvis, and tail were preserved in the specimen examined, meaning that a large portion of the dorsal region could have still harbored feathers. Dinosaurs with entirely preserved body integument like Kulindadromeus, Juravenator, and Anchiornis show a varying mix of both scales and feathers. As for any "feather-haters" out there, science always marches on (and doesn't care what you think looks "cooler").

• Like 6

I don't mind a bit of fluff on tyrannosaurus but can we please put the sauropods back in the swamps, that definitely was cooler.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

can we please put the sauropods back in the swamps, that definitely was cooler.  

An unrepentant Burian-ite, as usual.:D

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I don't mind a bit of fluff on tyrannosaurus but can we please put the sauropods back in the swamps, that definitely was cooler.  

How about we bring back the giant lizard iguanodon with the nose thorn? :D

In some ways it would be nice to return to the Victorian era reconstructions of dinosaurs, when they used to be creepy-cool demon dragons that would have never feasibly worked in reality. Plesiosaurs with snake necks, T-Rex that move like Frankenstein's creature, Stegosaurs that walk upright.... those pictures are magical. I swear I once came across one in an old book that had an ammonite sitting on a river bank and raising its tentacles to fight aplesiosaur or something.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

In some ways it would be nice to return to the Victorian era reconstructions of dinosaurs, when they used to be creepy-cool demon dragons that would have never feasibly worked in reality. Plesiosaurs with snake necks, T-Rex that move like Frankenstein's creature, Stegosaurs that walk upright.... those pictures are magical. I swear I once came across one in an old book that had an ammonite sitting on a river bank and raising its tentacles to fight aplesiosaur or something.

YES! That's it, more of this sort of thing! The Crystal Palace take on the Mesozoic. I love those things. I swear one day I'm going to wander through there with my Crombie and umbrella desperately trying to look period. 

50 minutes ago, Carnivorfox said:

An unrepentant Burian-ite, as usual.:D

Can't help it, I like my Sauropods in a damp setting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Well, if we're going with outdated or outlandish depictions of dinosaurs, Duane T. Gish's epically idiotic fire-breathing Parasaurolophus is an equally fun and nonsensical option.

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG

Edited by Carnivorfox
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

Well, if we're going with outdated or outlandish depictions of dinosaurs, Duane T. Gish's epically idiotic fire-breathing Parasaurolophus is an equally fun and nonsensical option.

:lol: Oh man...fire breathing dinosaurs!

Though that isn't even fair. At least those Victorians were trying their best and just made honest mistakes. That guy desperately tries to make up stuff to fit in with mythology and/or dogma.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Either they have more  than feathers or they had a steady supply of fur coats ...

~

Mini Tyrannosaurus Rex Cousin Lived in Arctic Region - Newsmax.com

www.newsmax.com/TheWire/tyrannosaurus-rex-cousin-arctic/2014/03/13/id/559293/

Mar 13, 2014 - A smaller cousin to the Tyrannosaurus Rex has been discovered by ... Tyrannosaurus Rex Cousin: Mini T-Rex Skeleton Found in Arctic Region.

~

Mar 12, 2014 - Newly discovered cousin of T rex, Nanuqsaurus hoglundi, inhabited an ... polar region, which has proved to be a rich trove of dinosaur fossils.

~
Mar 13, 2014 - A miniature cousin of Tyrannosaurus rex once roamed the Arctic, a new fossil ... As still occurs today, winter would have plunged the region into ...

~

Dinosaurs could survive cold conditions - Telegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Earth › Earth News
Jan 24, 2009 - Dinosaur: researchers believe dinosaurs could have lived and ... "The dinosaurs were incredibly diverse in polar regions – as diverse as they ...

~

Nov 14, 2015 - There's no obvious gene flow between areas." The story of the northern dinosaur is late in arriving because Alaska is late in being explored.

~

• Like 3