Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An atheist scholar viewpoint on Jesus

markdohle

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, psyche101 said:

That sounds like utter nonsense I cannot begin to work out what exactly you are referring to. Science has well proven itself, as such the only stumbling block is yourself in this situation. 

Science has proven itself, but those who try to use it often garble what the original article said, if there even was an original article. When trying to say "science says this" or "science says that," reference the article where science actually said that.

Doug

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

Science has proven itself, but those who try to use it often garble what the original article said, if there even was an original article. When trying to say "science says this" or "science says that," reference the article where science actually said that.

Doug

Oh like reporters you mean. Fair enough.

21 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Hey bud how ya been

You cannot be a fundamentalist simply because you do not follow a literal interpretation.

fundamentalist
ˌfʌndəˈmɛnt(ə)lɪst/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion.
    "religious fundamentalists"

Might be just me, but you seem more an apologist. Your arguments of loose interpretation are of the same nature as that which I hear from Muslim uni students interpreting the Koran as non violent. It seems incredibly unlikely and bias is plainly obvious.

The fundies do take the Bible literally, and that is where we see religion at its worst from terrorism to Ken Ham. If I might be so bold as to lean on the casual friendship (I think of you as a friend) I would simply call you stubborn. I know you have knowledge that counters religious belief and I.know you maintain belief in spite of that knowledge. I find you am anomaly, no good reason to believe at all, yet you insist on it. Perhaps it might be that you are good with debate and it is part of your character, but as much as I respect you, and I do very much, I cannot see you making a good argument in favour of a belief position. It seems to be more of a "what can it hurt" position.

Ahhhh... But, given that description, many of the "Christian Fundamentalists" aren't actually following the Bible. They are following their Preacher/Minister/Pastor. If they truly followed the Bible, they'd follow Jesus's teaching that the Greatest Commandment is Love as you would be loved. Since many Fundamentalists are hate/anger/fear driven, they aren't actually following what Jesus told them to do. 

I do believe in the Miraculous, even alongside my believe in the Mundane. I believe that dinosaurs lived roughly 60 to 200 million years ago, and left fossils behind. I do believe that the Universe is vast and full of planets, and potentially life. I do believe that DNA advances by way of natural selection (and domestication). I also do believe that humans are special, and that impossible things happen, and that sometimes caring (and praying) for someone can greatly affect their lives, even if they don't know you are doing it. I believe in higher beings (angels) who have communicated with humanity in the past, and in demons who do haunt us still today. I do believe that Jesus died to save mankind, and following his teachings is the best way to live a life as a "good" person.

I also believe that those teachings can be re-imagined... re-seen... as related to the modern day. This is not against the Bible, as Paul clearly says that we (Christians) are not shackled to the laws of the past and can basically pick and chose what we believe and follow, if it is uplifting to Christ. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

Long story short... Labeling someone a fundamentalist, in today's world, is more a comment on their intolerance, and wrong headedness, then on their devotion to their religion.

Yet in academic circles.We see little to no belief, but people who take the species forward without violence, manipulation or coercion. Westboro is a small chapter with a fundamentalist belief and constantly exhibit disgusting behaviour. From little groups like Westboro to major capitals like Wahabbism, the closer one is to God, the more one embraces the worst qualities our species has to.offer.

I'd again disagree. Not that academics are more likely to be secular, but that religion really has anything to do with who is the worse part of society. I'd say (again) that it has more to do with ignorance then with their religion. 

I do not think anyone can comment on the situation without the full story. Sounds like he liked to shout from the rooftops? How many did he oppress with this new outlook? How many who stood by him through thick and thin did he turn his back on? Many young people have also suicided not being able to resolve belief and a gay nature, for every one who has "seen the light" one has taken a life in vain due to God's bigoted commands.

I was just pointing out that the argument you were making can be made from both sides, with individual stories to back it up. To actually claim religion sparks more violence, or kills more people, or insights more hatred, I'd prefer to see actual sociological surveys that showed such to be true.

We have each other, religion clouds that reality.

I don't think it has to. Each person can have religion, and also have the world as it appears by way of science. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Though, like you said, I could be a bell curve exception. :tu:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 22:36-40

Matthew 22:36-40New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

http://biblehub.com/niv/1_corinthians/10.htm

23“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.24No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.

25Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.”f

27If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience.29I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? 30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Oh like reporters you mean. Fair enough.

It's not usually hard to find the original article:  Google Scholar is extremely helpful in that regard,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2017 at 6:20 PM, DieChecker said:

Ahhhh... But, given that description, many of the "Christian Fundamentalists" aren't actually following the Bible. They are following their Preacher/Minister/Pastor. If they truly followed the Bible, they'd follow Jesus's teaching that the Greatest Commandment is Love as you would be loved. Since many Fundamentalists are hate/anger/fear driven, they aren't actually following what Jesus told them to do. 

But they are. I'll quote the passages you left but Jesus still says God's will before mankind. He does not say the old does not apply, he just expands and focused on the secondary issue which is us. He quite plainly states that he upholds God's word too, he claims that brining others into the fold is a godly act and saves the "real you" which is the imaginary soul. The fundamentalist's adhere to a very literal interpretation, they do not focus on the secondary issue of mankind and put God's word first which even Jesus has to abide by. The fundamentalist's are backing the creator, not yet another creation who uses double speak far too often. 

I do believe in the Miraculous, even alongside my believe in the Mundane. I believe that dinosaurs lived roughly 60 to 200 million years ago, and left fossils behind. I do believe that the Universe is vast and full of planets, and potentially life. I do believe that DNA advances by way of natural selection (and domestication).

But the people who provided that very information also provide far better answers than religion does. Are you not picking and choosing to create correlations that do not really exist? Why cut them off and finish scientific theory and discovery with superstition?

I also do believe that humans are special, and that impossible things happen, and that sometimes caring (and praying) for someone can greatly affect their lives, even if they don't know you are doing it.

I do agree that humans are special because we from relationships, drive evolution and affect most processes on earth. We are special to this place and each other, but very insignificant with regards to the Universe. It seems inevitable that evolution has given rise to many humanoid species who are just as important to their planet as we are to ours. Civilisation I feel is a step almost all evolutionary processes eventually result in.

I believe in higher beings (angels) who have communicated with humanity in the past, and in demons who do haunt us still today.

There is just no more reason to think so than there is to believe ancient aliens were the God a we speak of. And there is no good reason to consider the ancient alien theory as valid at all.

I do believe that Jesus died to save mankind, and following his teachings is the best way to live a life as a "good" person.

I do not see that religion makes a better or superior person, but those leading scientific fields do make huge strides forward for the species. We do not need religion to be good people. It's bad that some have become dependent on religion in order to behave, seems a step backwards if anything.

I also believe that those teachings can be re-imagined... re-seen... as related to the modern day. This is not against the Bible, as Paul clearly says that we (Christians) are not shackled to the laws of the past and can basically pick and chose what we believe and follow, if it is uplifting to Christ. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

Paul is just a man. The fundamentalists put God before man. Is that not what you protest above? Paul speaking for God sounds more like a cult.

Long story short... Labeling someone a fundamentalist, in today's world, is more a comment on their intolerance, and wrong headedness, then on their devotion to their religion.

That's not what our own definitions are telling me.

I'd again disagree. Not that academics are more likely to be secular, but that religion really has anything to do with who is the worse part of society. I'd say (again) that it has more to do with ignorance then with their religion. 

Academia deposed ignorance. The worst societies are the most devout to the untainted alleged word of God. Man seems to recognise God's flaws and makes up for them andto labels it reformation.

I was just pointing out that the argument you were making can be made from both sides, with individual stories to back it up.

Individual stories are just hearsay. And incomplete. Like the fellow who is no longer gay due to his church involvement, but how many suffered undernude his newfound sense of false superiority?

To actually claim religion sparks more violence, or kills more people, or insights more hatred, I'd prefer to see actual sociological surveys that showed such to be true.

What about the tragedies We see in modern times?

I don't think it has to. Each person can have religion, and also have the world as it appears by way of science. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Though, like you said, I could be a bell curve exception. :tu:

An exception to academia. For a the talk of religious scientists not a one has reconciled God's existence or his alleged hand in creation. Long metaphors I feel convolute the issue and remove us from honest resolutions. 

All speak of putting God before man first, so you can love an enemy, yet look down on him as ignorant. That false sense of superiority that when encouraged and propagated results in an extreme of terrorism. Terrorist aim to be serving the highest order and can feel superior in kmowing the follow God's word not some man's interpretation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, psyche101 said:

But they are. I'll quote the passages you left but Jesus still says God's will before mankind. He does not say the old does not apply, he just expands and focused on the secondary issue which is us. He quite plainly states that he upholds God's word too, he claims that brining others into the fold is a godly act and saves the "real you" which is the imaginary soul. The fundamentalist's adhere to a very literal interpretation, they do not focus on the secondary issue of mankind and put God's word first which even Jesus has to abide by. The fundamentalist's are backing the creator, not yet another creation who uses double speak far too often. 

Jesus said he did nothing except what he saw the Father wanting him to do. So, whatever Jesus said was what God wanted. And Jesus specifically came to "fulfill the law", right? And what were those laws about? Sin! Right.... And what did Jesus's death on the Cross do? Freed everyone, everywhere from, death from sin. In other words Jesus's death was the Fulfillment of the law, because it was the end of being a sinner being the default, where you had to follow the law, or you died in sin. After Jesus's death you only had to repent of the sins you committed, even as you committed them, and you were good. Oversimplifying? Perhaps, but the point is the same... The Mosiac laws did not bind Christians, unless the Christians decided to bind themselves by those laws.

But the people who provided that very information also provide far better answers than religion does. Are you not picking and choosing to create correlations that do not really exist? Why cut them off and finish scientific theory and discovery with superstition?

Why are they better? Because no Creator is required? That isn't necessarily better, if is just a different explanation. It is only better to those who's bias demands it be better.

I still hold that science and religion are not mutually exclusive. I think those who do think so are closing their minds purposefully.

I do agree that humans are special because we from relationships, drive evolution and affect most processes on earth. We are special to this place and each other, but very insignificant with regards to the Universe. It seems inevitable that evolution has given rise to many humanoid species who are just as important to their planet as we are to ours. Civilisation I feel is a step almost all evolutionary processes eventually result in.

:tu:

There is just no more reason to think so than there is to believe ancient aliens were the God a we speak of. And there is no good reason to consider the ancient alien theory as valid at all.

Can you discount the ancient alien idea? Or, is there simply no evidence to support it? Could it have happened? Yes, of course... And most scientists will say the same. But then, of course, they will say what I did... That there isn't any evidence to support the idea.

I do not see that religion makes a better or superior person, but those leading scientific fields do make huge strides forward for the species. We do not need religion to be good people. It's bad that some have become dependent on religion in order to behave, seems a step backwards if anything.

Do we need science to be good? 

I agree we don't need religion to be good, but I do think that religion (Specifically Christianity) is probably our Best way of securing "good" people at this time.

Paul is just a man. The fundamentalists put God before man. Is that not what you protest above? Paul speaking for God sounds more like a cult.

Then are they really Christians? If they put God before Jesus? Jesus was God, or at least was the direct representation of God on Earth. Those who don't follow his teachings aren't Christians.

That's not what our own definitions are telling me.

What then is the definition of Fundamentalist? And can it really be applied to those you are referring to, given that Jesus is God, and one has to follow Jesus and all his teaching to be a Christian? 

Academia deposed ignorance. The worst societies are the most devout to the untainted alleged word of God. Man seems to recognise God's flaws and makes up for them andto labels it reformation.

Depends on what you mean by Worst. Some of those "worst" societies have super low crime rates, and other positive factors. Point being that "Worst" is subjective.

I'm not convinced that education reduces ignorance. I've met some PhD physicists at Intel who could barely tie their shoes, or drive a car, or use their phone. Being highly educated sometimes only means specialized, and therefore possibly even more ignorant in many meaningful ways.

Individual stories are just hearsay. And incomplete. Like the fellow who is no longer gay due to his church involvement, but how many suffered undernude his newfound sense of false superiority?

Well then I hope you stop using individual stories in the future. :devil:

What about the tragedies We see in modern times?

Is there significantly more tragedies that are religious in origin then non-religious? 

Perhaps you are speaking of Radical Islam? I do agree that any religion that becomes radicalized which calls for "War" on everyone else will cause more issues. I'm not sure all religions can be lumped in together on this, and not sure that all Muslims can be lumped in with the criminally insane radicalized Muslims who are bent on killing people.

An exception to academia. For a the talk of religious scientists not a one has reconciled God's existence or his alleged hand in creation. Long metaphors I feel convolute the issue and remove us from honest resolutions. 

Uhhhh.... If there was a evidence based reconciliation of God's existence, then I think none of us would be discussing this, but would probably be out making converts to save our scientifically proven Immortal Soul.

All speak of putting God before man first, so you can love an enemy, yet look down on him as ignorant. That false sense of superiority that when encouraged and propagated results in an extreme of terrorism. Terrorist aim to be serving the highest order and can feel superior in kmowing the follow God's word not some man's interpretation. 

Depends... If God is real, then the superiority isn't false. But, assuming God is real and Jesus was real, that is not how Christians should treat people. Superiority does not always result in terrorism, it often results in education and uplifting.

I have been reading the Jesus Christ Pesher:

http://www.peshertechnique.infinitesoulutions.com/

In 141 BC Alexander Janneus conquered Jerusalem and replaced the Sadducee high priest with a puppet of his own.  The Essenes left Jerusalem and moved back into their village at Qumran.  Nevertheless, they considered themselves to be the rightful high priests and believed they were only in temporary exile.  There was ongoing strife between Pharisees, Sadducees and Essenes for over  a hundred years.  In 64 BC, the Roman General Pompey occupied Jerusalem and added to the confusion.  Now there were the Romans, the three Jewish factions and many subdivisions all ready to kill each other.  Intrigue was rife.

To keep enemies from reading their writings, scribes at Qumran hid the true meanings in innocent-sounding stories - "children's stories."   But the Pesher was hidden in these stories.  It is an interpretation of scripture based on instructions found in one of the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran.

These texts have a "ring of truth" to them.  Many are, or at least claim to be, eye-witness accounts.  They explain the "miracles" as children's stories, meant for the uninitiated.  The texts explain the "miracles," including the virgin birth and resurrection with physical explanations.  Ex.:  "walking on the water" was a priest actually standing on a pier.

The story of Jesus crucifixion and resurrection are included.  But the writings indicate that this is the true story of Jesus and those other things that have come down to us are children's stories.  The "true story" of Jesus is quite a bit different from the ones I grew up with.  All I can say is read them and get your mind blown.

1.  The Crucifixion took place at Qumran, not Jerusalem.

2.  Jesus survived the crucifixion and eventually moved to Rome where he lived to a ripe old age.  The Pesher tells how this was accomplished.

3.  Could the original version of Mark (proto-Mark) have been written by John Mark, a gentile?

4.  Paul and Seneca knew each other and wrote letters back and forth.  Did Seneca write a play based on the "children's stories" and did it eventually get included in what we call "the Gospels?"

It's challenging reading, but well worth your time if you think Jesus might have been historical.

Comments?

Thanks to 8 Bits for pointing me to it.

Doug

• Like 1

Christianity is not the religion of Jesus, it's the religion about him. Christianity is the religion of Paul.

Contradistinctive to what Paul said about the good news, the good news Jesus proclaimed was not that he died for the redemption and atonement of mankind's original sin, and that faith in this errant idea would be all that is required to be saved. 

Why? Because Jesus was still alive when he went about preaching the good news. If he had announced that the good news was that he would be tortured to death to save mankind, no one would have taken him seriously.

So, what is the good news that Jesus proclaimed, before his followers changed his message into Christianity after his departure? 

When I was in Israel it constantly amused me how both Jews and Muslims accepted the existence of a historical Jesus (often with supernatural aspects) but would, unsolicited (but most challenging and enjoyable) argue with me that Christians got it him all wrong. I was in a tour group with some very loud atheist brits who managed to unify the various Jews, Muslims, and Christians with their offensiveness and mockery.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

When I was in Israel it constantly amused me how both Jews and Muslims accepted the existence of a historical Jesus (often with supernatural aspects) but would, unsolicited (but most challenging and enjoyable) argue with me that Christians got it him all wrong. I was in a tour group with some very loud atheist brits who managed to unify the various Jews, Muslims, and Christians with their offensiveness and mockery.

There are loud-mouthed louts of every persuasion.  I personally know an atheist who fits your description.  I also know a number of Baptists who do, too.

I don't know about Brits, but here in the US, atheists are constantly attacked and harassed by religious conservatives who think they are doing god's work by acting badly.  After awhile one has to defend himself and when that doesn't stop the attacks, one gets aggressive, even obnoxious.  That's what makes ill-mannered atheists.

I have attended a number of very fundamentalist churches and heard atheists ridiculed from the pulpit.  If someone wanted to convert them to Christianity, I couldn't imagine a worse way to go about it.  I think both sides need to seek the thing they hate about the other in themselves.  Jesus said, "Where there is love, there am I also."  Why not actually practice His teachings/

Doug

• Like 1

I was raised Catholic (but am a Methodist now) but recall my Dad on a business trip taking me to a Baptist Church once in a pinch. The majority of the sermon centered on the evils of the Pope and Roman Catholicism. Not a high moment in Ecumenicism. LOL. 

I did not take the Atheists on that trip for anymore than the UK version of the Ugly American. I have known and co-existed with some lovely atheists. As for the Jews and Muslims that I was challenged by on that trip it was never personal and usually followed by hospitality in the form of some Tea or Ice Cream. In the infinite diversity of human belief we all Scream for Ice Cream! *

* except for the Lactose Intolerant. Not sure where they fit in God's plan. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2017 at 0:12 AM, DieChecker said:

"Why would I watch it?" You feel Jesus is working in your life so you won't. My aim is for people that question things, and I use you to piggyback the information out of irony. 

"Is there any new argument given?" It's various scholarship that's been around. But what's new is that it's brought all together, and many people are unaware of it.

"Would you watch a Creationist video if I posted it, or would you assume you know basically what it is going to say?" I do listen to the other side often in various formats. The thing is Creationists aren't up front with their presupposition that science is a demonic conspiracy. When they do use science it's out of a gross ignorance of it. It's a false equivalency by you to compare Creationism with peer reviewed historical scholarship. 

I do not argue science with Creationists, but I do point out what the Bible is truly saying using the Bible. They quickly freak out, and pull anchor on me. The mind is very capable of blinding the eyes.

"To love your neighbor as yourself. To tell this to others and demonstrate by living that way yourself.

People who live by "Rules" are just modern day Pharisees.

There are only a few hard rules... Jesus is the Son of God, and He died for our salvation and rose again. That's basically it..."

That's pretty much Paul's Gospel in a nutshell. Soon in my "Temple Cleansing" thread I will show that Paul is talking about a perceived anointed savior in the OT, and he is not aware of the events depicted in the fictional Gospels/Acts. This Christ Jesus is Lord, crucified sinful flesh on the cross of life, God's firstborn son, born of a woman, born under the Law, celestial “image of God”, God’s agent of creation, and much more even that he was a man (not what people think). This is all from the OT as a result from the polytheism woven into it. The Christianity we have today is the outcome of marketing the Gospels as truth when it started out as allegory of the OT, and Pauline theology. 

Stay tuned (not you DC, but those that do not look to emotions for verification). I have so many notes not knowing where to begin so I took a summer vacation. I'm slowly working up the Dopamine to put it together, and there's more research to go.

"Truth varies by culture, religion and by individual. Evidence isn't always truth."

Thanks to progress for the scientific method. Otherwise we would be subject to some real throwbacks. 

"And being gay is a mental condition? Both are as correct, if either is... Both depend on what Truth is to an individual."

No. Being gay is a genetic mutation. Evolution doesn't care what sex is attracted to the inverted triangle, or hourglass shape as long as they reproduce. Religion does care so those in the past with the switched attraction conformed (to escape persecution) as a result reproduced (a success for non thinking evolution). Besides being gay does not necessarily negate the instinct to reproduce hence many gay couples today using a partner's own genetic material for a surrogate to have a baby (a success as far as non thinking evolution is concerned).

People would argue against this out of PC ignorance, and would use as an example of a gay identical twin while the other is straight. This argument falls short because identical twins are often not so identical. Not just in differing personalities,  but I can bring up multiple examples of identical twins where one is fine while the other has genetic defects (defects in the sense that it impedes quality of life, and, or leads to death), and mental handicaps. They are identical in looks, but often differing in other things not readily visible.

Religious people are just thought addicts of their ego with five points of neural commonality. 

1) Addictions; Drugs, desires, and even fears release neurochemical motivational mechanisms evolved for survival, and perpetuation. These can override rationalization centers of the brain which are relatively new in us on a evolutionary scale. Going from hard drug use to Theism is not a miracle because beliefs can be just as potent. 

We are all addicts to varying degrees, and culturally some addictions are not recognized as such. Thinking a manmade myth has a plan for you is one of them, and is seen as a virtue. 

2) Creativity/patternicity; These are great things, and often birth into fine entertainment. On overdrive these processes for reward learning can make perceptual connections that are not there. Connecting ancient prophecies (often times they are describing a post event, or being vague) to modern day events is a prime example.

3) Hallucinations/schizophrenia; Neurochemical imbalances can jam neurotransmitter signals rerouting them to other channels. All five senses can be affected, and speaking in tongues is the speech center jamming up.

Often times an experience can seem symbolic, or have a hidden meaning to the individual. This is likely due to preformed subconscious thoughts (some not meant to be made conscious but for discarding, and, or partial usage) getting sucked into the neurochemical maelstrom. Expectations is another factor.

Drug overdoses can lead to Theism. A person's cultural deity can be manufactured by the subconscious for a visit to give comfort.

Some people have a genetic propensity to hallucinate from seeing an aura around a person that say things they like, to debilitating full on schizophrenia.

4) Stresses/sleep deprivation; You have to be truly repentant, groveling on your knees for hours, confessing your sins, and that you are not worthy of God's gift in order to feel the Holy Spirit.

The average person would be in euphoria instantly if they believed they won the lottery. Now add magic with a "maybe" plus high anxiety over a prolonged period of time and you have a recipe for a runaway imagination. 

5) Cognitive and confirmation biases; Dopamine Reward System neurotransmitters creates then reinforces pathway connections for the repetition of thoughts, and behaviors. Some people have trouble breaking the internal compartmentalization of certain thoughts, and, or behaviors. Some people are so inflicted with this that the superstition of being possessed by a spirit (other than epilepsy) is seen as a cause, but it's just following programming.

We are not that far away when basically all we had to do was get the food, avoid the danger, and mate. We live in a much more complex world which our evolution is catching up to with new pitfalls that take advantage of our weaknesses. 

Research the neurology of "Dopamine" to all five points and you have the Holy Dopamine Ghost.

"It has to... According to Revelation it will almost die out completely."

I see, and hear an up tick in apostasy mostly from Christianity lately. 

Revelation is a joke.

"I love Star Wars. I have every movie and can quote most of the lines, and know the backgrounds of most of the characters/ships/droids."

Even though it's labeled scifi, one can discern the truth of it even being long ago in a galaxy far away.

1) Two of the main characters have an evil villain as their father. That's far too embarrassing not to be true.

2) So many good people gave up their lives to get the Deathstar plans, and then to destroy it. People do not give up their lives for a non threat so it's true.

3) When it was learned that the princess had the force the whole theater cheered. I had to wait in a long line on that opening day of Return of the Jedi. People do not act like that unless it's true.

4) I can not only feel the force in my heart, but the force moved my body automatically. I happened to see Rogue One on the day of Fisher's death. When it came to the scene of the princess,  and her mention of "Hope" my hands involuntarily jolted up, and together to clap. Before they made contact I stopped myself (as not to disturb others), then the credits rolled. The whole theater was clapping, and thanks to the Force (which is real) my hands were at the ready to join in.

5) I hear that more people are putting Jedi as their religion.

I'm a witness to the Force, and it's effects as it continues in my life.

658.jpg

• Like 1

davros

Welcome back, looking forward to the revival of your temple cleansing thread.

Often times an experience can seem symbolic, or have a hidden meaning to the individual. This is likely due to preformed subconscious thoughts (some not meant to be made conscious but for discarding, and, or partial usage) getting sucked into the neurochemical maelstrom.

We'll make a Jungian out of you yet. You don't have to put away the chemistry set, just add a few higher-level structures to it (like what you're calling "prefromed thoughts").

And none of them are for discarding, for throwing away. There's no "away" anyway.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, eight bits said:

And none of them are for discarding, for throwing away. There's no "away" anyway.

Back in the file drawer.

Yes...Things will always be there though possibly distorted, and muddied. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2017 at 11:15 PM, davros of skaro said:

"Why would I watch it?" You feel Jesus is working in your life so you won't. My aim is for people that question things, and I use you to piggyback the information out of irony. 

It is just that I've seen the same video done thirty different ways, and rarely is anything new added.

"Is there any new argument given?" It's various scholarship that's been around. But what's new is that it's brought all together, and many people are unaware of it.

I can recognize that and respect that. I wouldn't try to force any belief on anyone. 

I recognize that's not true of all Christians though, or all Athiests for that matter.

"Would you watch a Creationist video if I posted it, or would you assume you know basically what it is going to say?" I do listen to the other side often in various formats. The thing is Creationists aren't up front with their presupposition that science is a demonic conspiracy. When they do use science it's out of a gross ignorance of it. It's a false equivalency by you to compare Creationism with peer reviewed historical scholarship. 

I do not argue science with Creationists, but I do point out what the Bible is truly saying using the Bible. They quickly freak out, and pull anchor on me. The mind is very capable of blinding the eyes.

The facts may be a false equivalency, but homemade videos posted by people with opinions are often very comparable. Regardless of if they are Creationists, or Atheists.

"To love your neighbor as yourself. To tell this to others and demonstrate by living that way yourself.

People who live by "Rules" are just modern day Pharisees.

There are only a few hard rules... Jesus is the Son of God, and He died for our salvation and rose again. That's basically it..."

That's pretty much Paul's Gospel in a nutshell. Soon in my "Temple Cleansing" thread I will show that Paul is talking about a perceived anointed savior in the OT, and he is not aware of the events depicted in the fictional Gospels/Acts. This Christ Jesus is Lord, crucified sinful flesh on the cross of life, God's firstborn son, born of a woman, born under the Law, celestial “image of God”, God’s agent of creation, and much more even that he was a man (not what people think). This is all from the OT as a result from the polytheism woven into it. The Christianity we have today is the outcome of marketing the Gospels as truth when it started out as allegory of the OT, and Pauline theology. 

Stay tuned (not you DC, but those that do not look to emotions for verification). I have so many notes not knowing where to begin so I took a summer vacation. I'm slowly working up the Dopamine to put it together, and there's more research to go.

To show that Paul was talking about an OT savior, you'd have to discount a lot of Acts and other scriptures where Paul interacts with the other Patriarchs and has their blessings to spread the Gospel. Are we only to believe bits and pieces? The ones that fit out hypothesis?

"Truth varies by culture, religion and by individual. Evidence isn't always truth."

Thanks to progress for the scientific method. Otherwise we would be subject to some real throwbacks. 

And thank goodness that the Scientific Method states that new data requires new conclusions. After death, if the data supports Christianity, I hope people come to the correct Conclusion. Hopefully before they decide they are so smart that they end up in the Fire.

"And being gay is a mental condition? Both are as correct, if either is... Both depend on what Truth is to an individual."

No. Being gay is a genetic mutation. Evolution doesn't care what sex is attracted to the inverted triangle, or hourglass shape as long as they reproduce. Religion does care so those in the past with the switched attraction conformed (to escape persecution) as a result reproduced (a success for non thinking evolution). Besides being gay does not necessarily negate the instinct to reproduce hence many gay couples today using a partner's own genetic material for a surrogate to have a baby (a success as far as non thinking evolution is concerned).

People would argue against this out of PC ignorance, and would use as an example of a gay identical twin while the other is straight. This argument falls short because identical twins are often not so identical. Not just in differing personalities,  but I can bring up multiple examples of identical twins where one is fine while the other has genetic defects (defects in the sense that it impedes quality of life, and, or leads to death), and mental handicaps. They are identical in looks, but often differing in other things not readily visible.

I'd agree to a point. I am a identical twin, by the way, and I can confirm that we don't hear each others thoughts, or any rubbish like that. He and I are completely different individuals, with different experiences and different expectations.

I do recognize that there is a genetic element, but I think the debate is still out on how much Sexual Preference is based on genetics, and how much is personal preference. 

Religious people are just thought addicts of their ego with five points of neural commonality. 

1) Addictions; Drugs, desires, and even fears release neurochemical motivational mechanisms evolved for survival, and perpetuation. These can override rationalization centers of the brain which are relatively new in us on a evolutionary scale. Going from hard drug use to Theism is not a miracle because beliefs can be just as potent. 

We are all addicts to varying degrees, and culturally some addictions are not recognized as such. Thinking a manmade myth has a plan for you is one of them, and is seen as a virtue. 

2) Creativity/patternicity; These are great things, and often birth into fine entertainment. On overdrive these processes for reward learning can make perceptual connections that are not there. Connecting ancient prophecies (often times they are describing a post event, or being vague) to modern day events is a prime example.

3) Hallucinations/schizophrenia; Neurochemical imbalances can jam neurotransmitter signals rerouting them to other channels. All five senses can be affected, and speaking in tongues is the speech center jamming up.

Often times an experience can seem symbolic, or have a hidden meaning to the individual. This is likely due to preformed subconscious thoughts (some not meant to be made conscious but for discarding, and, or partial usage) getting sucked into the neurochemical maelstrom. Expectations is another factor.

Drug overdoses can lead to Theism. A person's cultural deity can be manufactured by the subconscious for a visit to give comfort.

Some people have a genetic propensity to hallucinate from seeing an aura around a person that say things they like, to debilitating full on schizophrenia.

4) Stresses/sleep deprivation; You have to be truly repentant, groveling on your knees for hours, confessing your sins, and that you are not worthy of God's gift in order to feel the Holy Spirit.

The average person would be in euphoria instantly if they believed they won the lottery. Now add magic with a "maybe" plus high anxiety over a prolonged period of time and you have a recipe for a runaway imagination. 

5) Cognitive and confirmation biases; Dopamine Reward System neurotransmitters creates then reinforces pathway connections for the repetition of thoughts, and behaviors. Some people have trouble breaking the internal compartmentalization of certain thoughts, and, or behaviors. Some people are so inflicted with this that the superstition of being possessed by a spirit (other than epilepsy) is seen as a cause, but it's just following programming.

We are not that far away when basically all we had to do was get the food, avoid the danger, and mate. We live in a much more complex world which our evolution is catching up to with new pitfalls that take advantage of our weaknesses. 

Research the neurology of "Dopamine" to all five points and you have the Holy Dopamine Ghost.

I'd disagree to a large degree. You are painting a Christian Zealot here, and in my experience those are not actually as common as people try to make out. Much like Neo-Nazis are in the news this summer, there are only a handful of them in the US. Less then a thousand, but the entire news media was obsessed with them. I feel that applies here too. Take the extreme example, and call it the median.

A child need not be insane to have an imaginary friend.... All the child needs is a need for a friend.

"It has to... According to Revelation it will almost die out completely."

I see, and hear an up tick in apostasy mostly from Christianity lately. 

Revelation is a joke.

Depends on what apostasy is defined as.... Each denomination has a slightly different definition, and the number of denominations increases almost daily.

"I love Star Wars. I have every movie and can quote most of the lines, and know the backgrounds of most of the characters/ships/droids."

Even though it's labeled scifi, one can discern the truth of it even being long ago in a galaxy far away.

1) Two of the main characters have an evil villain as their father. That's far too embarrassing not to be true.

2) So many good people gave up their lives to get the Deathstar plans, and then to destroy it. People do not give up their lives for a non threat so it's true.

3) When it was learned that the princess had the force the whole theater cheered. I had to wait in a long line on that opening day of Return of the Jedi. People do not act like that unless it's true.

4) I can not only feel the force in my heart, but the force moved my body automatically. I happened to see Rogue One on the day of Fisher's death. When it came to the scene of the princess,  and her mention of "Hope" my hands involuntarily jolted up, and together to clap. Before they made contact I stopped myself (as not to disturb others), then the credits rolled. The whole theater was clapping, and thanks to the Force (which is real) my hands were at the ready to join in.

5) I hear that more people are putting Jedi as their religion.

I'm a witness to the Force, and it's effects as it continues in my life.

Lots of people put "Jedi" on their Census forms, and not all of them jokingly.

21 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It is just that I've seen the same video done thirty different ways, and rarely is anything new added.

So you're comparing a Zeitgeist video to a Richard Carrier lecture. Have you ever watched a Carrier lecture?

I can recognize that and respect that. I wouldn't try to force any belief on anyone. 

I recognize that's not true of all Christians though, or all Athiests for that matter.

I find it ironic that the phrase "The truth will set you free" gives Christians the tingles.

The facts may be a false equivalency, but homemade videos posted by people with opinions are often very comparable. Regardless of if they are Creationists, or Atheists.

I was deciphering this for nearly five minutes... I'm just going to facepalm it.

To show that Paul was talking about an OT savior, you'd have to discount a lot of Acts and other scriptures where Paul interacts with the other Patriarchs and has their blessings to spread the Gospel. Are we only to believe bits and pieces? The ones that fit out hypothesis?

In my "Temple Cleansing Fiction" thread I show the high degree of unreliability that the Gospels, and Acts have at being historical. When I get back in the zone I will show that Paul's Christ Jesus is an OT character. It's just that Mark's allegorical Gospel is a pocket OT of this being that got popular, and useful recruitment wise as literal. 

And thank goodness that the Scientific Method states that new data requires new conclusions. After death, if the data supports Christianity, I hope people come to the correct Conclusion. Hopefully before they decide they are so smart that they end up in the Fire.

Or.... Jesus can come down in person to tell us. Instead of leaving highly dubious stories behind that benefit those born in the right geography, and degree of gullibility. 

I'd agree to a point. I am a identical twin, by the way, and I can confirm that we don't hear each others thoughts, or any rubbish like that. He and I are completely different individuals, with different experiences and different expectations.

I do recognize that there is a genetic element, but I think the debate is still out on how much Sexual Preference is based on genetics, and how much is personal preference. 

I'll just leave this vid.

I'd disagree to a large degree. You are painting a Christian Zealot here, and in my experience those are not actually as common as people try to make out. Much like Neo-Nazis are in the news this summer, there are only a handful of them in the US. Less then a thousand, but the entire news media was obsessed with them. I feel that applies here too. Take the extreme example, and call it the median.

A child need not be insane to have an imaginary friend.... All the child needs is a need for a friend.

I'm just pointing out that the Dopamine Reward System covers many bases of the religious experience. 

Hypothetical situation:

There's a person that has a 50/50 chance of you bringing them to Jesus through your witness. But before they come to you I show them the science of Dopamine. Do you think that 50/50 would change, and to what.

Only imaginary friends I had were stuffed toys that protected me at night from monsters.

Depends on what apostasy is defined as.... Each denomination has a slightly different definition, and the number of denominations increases almost daily.

The millennials are turning their backs on Jesus from what I hear.

Lots of people put "Jedi" on their Census forms, and not all of them jokingly.

They are using the Force.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:54 AM, davros of skaro said:

So you're comparing a Zeitgeist video to a Richard Carrier lecture. Have you ever watched a Carrier lecture?

No... I'm comparing Carrier's video to every other Atheist supporting video. They use the same arguments over and over and over again. Not just because they are true, but because they have no further arguments.

Or.... Jesus can come down in person to tell us. Instead of leaving highly dubious stories behind that benefit those born in the right geography, and degree of gullibility. 

Oh he will.... Eventually. :P

I'm just pointing out that the Dopamine Reward System covers many bases of the religious experience. 

Hypothetical situation:

There's a person that has a 50/50 chance of you bringing them to Jesus through your witness. But before they come to you I show them the science of Dopamine. Do you think that 50/50 would change, and to what.

I think it would affect them some, but not tremendously. Supposing someone who was religiously not affiliated was a 50/50 chance, I'd expect that providing science at that point would not be tremendously swaying... As anyone who would be a 50/50 chance of conversion would not be overly up on science to begin with. :lol:

A question I had regarding the Dopamine theory.... Assuming that dopamine is the reward of religion, then would that mean that Christianity, being the primary religion of the world, is logically the Most Suited to humanity as a tradition to supply that dopamine? I mean, we've had 2000 years to come up with a better delivery system... Islam tried, but I think failed, to replace Christianity. Then does it stand to reason that humanity is Genetically predisposed to be Christian? 

The millennials are turning their backs on Jesus from what I hear.

I think that is up to debate. In Europe, the answer is a definite "Yes", but in the US, I think it is not an established fact just yet.

20 hours ago, DieChecker said:

No... I'm comparing Carrier's video to every other Atheist supporting video. They use the same arguments over and over and over again. Not just because they are true, but because they have no further arguments.

That's funny. Many of the arguments I hear from other atheists is that there's no contemporary writings about Jesus in his supposed lifetime. I facepalm over this because they think it's such a killer argument. Carrier mentions this, but knows as an historian it's fallacious in that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

Oh he will.... Eventually. :P

You have a loooong wait.

I think it would affect them some, but not tremendously. Supposing someone who was religiously not affiliated was a 50/50 chance, I'd expect that providing science at that point would not be tremendously swaying... As anyone who would be a 50/50 chance of conversion would not be overly up on science to begin with. :lol:

This would make a great experiment.

A question I had regarding the Dopamine theory.... Assuming that dopamine is the reward of religion, then would that mean that Christianity, being the primary religion of the world, is logically the Most Suited to humanity as a tradition to supply that dopamine? I mean, we've had 2000 years to come up with a better delivery system... Islam tried, but I think failed, to replace Christianity. Then does it stand to reason that humanity is Genetically predisposed to be Christian? 

A billion Muslims can't be wrong...LOL!

Islam has the final revelation from God angle, and the texts in classic Arabic is basically rap music. This gets the Dopamine flowing.

Christianity has God so loved the world, and his son laid down his life for you angle. There's a lot of cherry picked verses to get the Dopamine flowing.

You were just born in the right area to get the Holy Dopamine Ghost of the Christian flavor.

I think that is up to debate. In Europe, the answer is a definite "Yes", but in the US, I think it is not an established fact just yet.

I need to spread the good news of the HDG more... :)

17 minutes ago, davros of skaro said:

That's funny. Many of the arguments I hear from other atheists is that there's no contemporary writings about Jesus in his supposed lifetime. I facepalm over this because they think it's such a killer argument. Carrier mentions this, but knows as an historian it's fallacious in that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

You have a loooong wait.

This would make a great experiment.

A billion Muslims can't be wrong...LOL!

Islam has the final revelation from God angle, and the texts in classic Arabic is basically rap music. This gets the Dopamine flowing.

Christianity has God so loved the world, and his son laid down his life for you angle. There's a lot of cherry picked verses to get the Dopamine flowing.

You were just born in the right area to get the Holy Dopamine Ghost of the Christian flavor.

I need to spread the good news of the HDG more... :)

Actually, there are several other offshoots of the Abrahamic tradition that came after Islam. Mormonism being maybe one of the last. Bahai being another one that is pretty young. Christian Science is neither Christian, nor Science. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Actually, there are several other offshoots of the Abrahamic tradition that came after Islam. Mormonism being maybe one of the last. Bahai being another one that is pretty young. Christian Science is neither Christian, nor Science.