Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive blaze in London, U.K. high-rise

Likely Guy

LONDON -- Firefighters are battling a massive fire in an apartment high-rise in London.

One side of the building appeared to be in flames. Forty fire engines and 200 firefighters had been called to the scene early Wednesday morning.

The building is the Grenfell Tower in west London.

The Metropolitan Police said two people were being treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and cordons were in place.

George Clarke, the presenter of "Amazing Spaces," told Radio 5 Live he was covered in ash even though he was 100 metres from the scene.

He said he saw people waving flashlights from the top level of the building and saw rescuers "doing an incredible job" trying to get people out.

*No link because that's the whole article.

This is bad. I hope that there are a lot of happy miracles.

• Like 5

Geez oh man that fire is huge. I don't know what to say. Condolences. I'm sure they'll be needed.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Geez oh man that fire is huge. I don't know what to say. Condolences. I'm sure they'll be needed.

Forty engines and 200 firefighters...

• Like 2

How does a fire spread like that these days? I can't help but think arson. I've seen a number of fires, mostly from kitchens, in apartment buildings and while they do damage they typically don't spread too far before firefighters get there. Smoke and water does most of the collateral damage. A building like that I would assume to be mostly concrete and plaster. Essentially fire proof. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll await details.

• Like 2

At that time of night most people were at home and asleep. :(

• Like 1

I think we all know its was more terrorism:) just like 911 in America

Edited by docyabut2

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

At that time of night most people were at home and asleep. :(

I guess but still... Gas explosion? I seen that once too several floors up in a ten story building. A guy commuted suicide by turning the gas on the stove and ran a space heater. Did major damage, mostly contained to that floor but the building was fine elsewhere. I don't know but there's a reason you don't often see high rise fires like that. They're hard to get to that point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

I guess but still... Gas explosion? I seen that once too several floors up in a ten story building. A guy commuted suicide by turning the gas on the stove and ran a space heater. Did major damage, mostly contained to that floor but the building was fine elsewhere. I don't know but there's a reason you don't often see high rise fires like that. They're hard to get to that point.

suicide  bomber?

7 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

terrorism?

;please provide some proof?

• Like 2

Just now, docyabut2 said:

suicide  bomber?

I think there'd be rumors/reports by know if there was an explosion of any kind. Of course terrorism is creeping in the back of everyone's mind but I'm not ready to go there on this yet. It could be that, it could be an accident or any random nut who likes arson. Let's let this unfold. I really hope it wasn't terrorism because London needs a damn break.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

I think there'd be rumors/reports by know if there was an explosion of any kind. Of course terrorism is creeping in the back of everyone's mind but I'm not ready to go there on this yet. It could be that, it could be an accident or any random nut who likes arson. Let's let this unfold. I really hope it wasn't terrorism because London needs a damn break.

With that we can all agree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

With that we can all agree.

right we have to wait on  who this suicidal  person really was:(

Just now, docyabut2 said:

right we have to wait on  who this suicidal  person really was:(

WHOOSH

That was the sound of it going over your head.

• Like 7

This is really horrible...just no words. Don't think I've ever seen a fire like that. Deepest sympathy for the poor people involved. 

• Like 6

I just read on the live updates that the fire started high on the second to top floor. That makes more sense why it couldn't be controlled fast enough. It's 27 stories high. Also very likely leaves out a suicide bomber Docy.

Building just underwent renovations. People are trapped. This article says 120 homes located in the building. Horrific

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

• Like 3

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

I just read on the live updates that the fire started high on the second to top floor. That makes more sense why it couldn't be controlled fast enough. It's 27 stories high. Also very likely leaves out a suicide bomber Docy.

Do you have a link? That makes no sense. Fire burns up.

• Like 2

Likely Guy...your link in post 6 is now saying it started on the second to top floor. It's all the way towards the bottom. Looks like the links may be changing as they are being updated.

• Like 3

There are  just to many liberal  news channels  focusing on the Russia debate, instead of what's really going on in the world :( really guys doesn't this fire remind you of 911?

Edited by docyabut2