Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the human tongue able to 'taste' water ?

UM-Bot

Er ................ surely everyone knows this?! Nobody in the world drinks pure water. It's all flavoured by the minerals etc. present in the surroundings at its source.

• Like 6

I've known this for years. I hate the taste of water, it almost makes me gag (I have almost thrown up a couple of times). The only way I can drink and enjoy water is if it has those water enhancer/flavour things in it

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant

A guy I used to work with could tell the difference between the Artisean water and distilled water we get delivered at the office. I could never tell the difference. 

• Like 2

I only drink bottled spring water because the tap water is so foul ........ big difference in taste.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I only drink bottled spring water because the tap water is so foul ........ big difference in taste.

I used to drink spring water until I saw a moose pee in it.  :D

• Like 4

We like spring water, here we are filling jugs from a spring in the Arizona high desert. It was Winter, but the water was very warm and good. I made the comment it was "From the center of the Earth" :lol:

Water.jpg

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

:lol: If the moose is only drinking spring water then I'd rather drink his pee than what comes out of our taps! :P

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Defamation of Canadian beer! ;)

I can definitely tell the difference between Dasani (chemical taste to me) and Zephyrhills bottled water.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Dasani is just very filtered water, Its tap water that they clean the crap out of. They do not do this to make clean water the process was developed so Coke tasted the same everywhere. They just started selling Dasani because it has a fancy name and we are stupid

• Like 2

Trihalomethanes resulting from the reaction of chlorines and organic material in water can definitely add a taste. Distilled water reacts with carbon dioxide in the air to form carbonic acid, giving distilled water that odd tang. And at toxic levels fluoride has a "salty soapy taste" according to the CDC's pesticides toxicity page under sodium fluoride. So I question the actual purity of the water used.

Edited by Trihalo42
page cut off my post
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WoIverine said:

I can definitely tell the difference between Dasani (chemical taste to me) and Zephyrhills bottled water.

And I prefer Dasani  over other bottles waters.  It does not have that plasticky taste.  The bottles are made out of plant fibres.  I can taste the difference right away.

16 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

And I prefer Dasani  over other bottles waters.  It does not have that plasticky taste.  The bottles are made out of plant fibres.  I can taste the difference right away.

Wow really? Interesting. Maybe that's what the Zephryhills taste is, it always seemed to have kind of a buttery taste to me, which I thought was weird. I like RO water the best, I add my own minerals to it via Concentrace droppers and it's great.

I drink over 2 litres of water at work daily.  If I forget to take water with me, I have to buy it.  I am sure some of the $3 and $5 water taste better, but for my $$$ I prefer Dasani at $1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I buy bottled water but I have found that Highland Spring water bought in Sainsbury's  causes lime scale in your kettle .

I like mount shasta crystal geyser but not mount lassen crystal geyser 

Edited by travelnjones

Everything tastes better in glass :tu: I know a person that is very sensitive to taste this way- companies that use glass and plastic like Evian and Voss, their plastic bottled water tastes like plastic to them.

I can taste the difference between waters to an extent, but mostly bottled water is just bottled water to me. It's all kind of flatish, taste of whatever notness, and wet in a tasteless enough way to hydrate me. On the rarity I pick up a bottle of drinking water, it's whatever is cheapest in the gas station cooler. I'd rather not blow that buck or whatever at the gas station too, and tend to fill up my own jug of drinking water at home to take with me. I typically drink well water from the tap, and it's got flavor stuff in it, minerals and such. I'm used to it.

• Like 2

....speaking of Evian water, people used to say "It's Naive spelled backwards" as if to say we are dumb to pay more for regular tap water they use to bottle it. :huh:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spud the mackem said:

I buy bottled water but I have found that Highland Spring water bought in Sainsbury's  causes lime scale in your kettle .

This doesn't bother me. I just descale the kettle every three weeks or so.

• Like 2

I thought it was normal to taste water. I can always taste the difference of various brands, purified vs non, etc... For instance Poland Spring water is disgusting to me. I noticed when served cold you don't seem to notice the taste but when I drink it warm it taste completely different. My brand of choice is called qure water. It's taste amazing. I'm very big on ph9.5 waters as well as vapor distilled. Maybe I'm a water snob but I can definitely taste the difference in the various choices out there. 

• Like 1

Its amazing really..I mean going into a store to actually " buy " water. I remember when this first started and many people including myself couldnt believe how ridiculous it was. Marketing companies understood at the time convienance is key and what better product to hustle then good ol h20. Brilliant!   I boycotted at first but over time even found myself buying the damn stuff when I had perfectly fine tap water at home!  still will occasionally

Its the plastic tho folks..we have to be more diligent and understand the impact its having on our enviorment.Its estimated Americans alone throw away 35 billion plastic bottles a year! Its a huge problem and affecting our planet in diverse and perverse ways. If you have to buy water..at least recycle the bottle

https://www.ecowatch.com/22-facts-about-plastic-pollution-and-10-things-we-can-do-about-it-1881885971.html

• Like 1

Given our utter dependence upon water, it seems naive to think that we would not have some sense related mechanisms to assess water. I would suspect smell and vision also help weigh our decision to drink or not.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Nonentity said:

A guy I used to work with could tell the difference between the Artisean water and distilled water we get delivered at the office. I could never tell the difference. 

You should have been able to tell the difference. As Ouija Ouija stated, we taste the minerals in the water we drink. Properly distilled water doesn't have any minerals so it has no taste what to ever.

I couldn't taste any minerals. I think my tongue is broke.

• Like 1