Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Warmbier Has Severe Brain Damage

susieice

Otto Warmbier, the student released this week by North Korea, arrived back and is in an Ohio hospital with severe brain damage. Doctors say he is in a persistive vegetative state. It appears he may have been badly beaten.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/otto-warmbier-has-extensive-brain-damage-doctors-say-n773036

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/15/otto-warmbier-north-korea-severe-injury?CMP=fb_gu

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

I saw a bizarre interview of his father on Fox.  It was just, strange.  Poor guy shouldn't have gone to NK.  I cannot imagine the mindset of someone who would go to either NK or Iran today.

ETA - It would be a joyous occasion if someone caused "extensive brain damage" to the fat-boy.

Edited by and then
  • Like 6

Yes I read about this just last night...hadnt heard of it before

sad for the guy

• Like 2

I saw his dad speak last night to reporters, it's very sad for his family. I wonder what kind of cruelty those savages inflicted on that poor young man to cause such shocking brain injury. NK is certainly a country that all Westerners should keep well away from.

• Like 6

This is just appalling. What was his 'crime'? Stealing a poster off a wall! !5 yrs hard labour ...... this is madness.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

This is just appalling. What was his 'crime'? Stealing a poster off a wall! !5 yrs hard labour ...... this is madness.

It certainly is appalling. I mean look at the mad dictator that NK has. Most of the population is starving to death, and from what Iv'e read the jails there are worse than the worst hell imaginable for the prisoners there. God only knows what other suffering the people there go through. The thought is simply disturbing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, and then said:

I saw a bizarre interview of his father on Fox.  It was just, strange.  Poor guy shouldn't have gone to NK.  I cannot imagine the mindset of someone who would go to either NK or Iran today.

ETA - It would be a joyous occasion if someone caused "extensive brain damage" to the fat-boy.

Tourism is allowed from America to North Korea particularly when major state events are occurring. But many online videos show there exists a lack of maturity in many US tourists going there. They think they can film and photo stuff in secret when they aren`t allowed too, behave disrespectfully towards the regime, and in this case steal political posters. Its clearly the morons own fault that he got locked up.

With the botulism, well, its a 3rd world country so you cannot expect the standard of medical care in the US.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

What gets me is that everyone is patting themselves on the back for getting Warmbier back, like it is a great accomplishment.  But it's not.  It's a deliberate insult by North Korea.  They basically turned a US citizen into a breathing corpse and tossed him at our feet.  That's not a demonstration of respect.  Only a fool would smile and say how awesome that is.

At first I didn't think of it in that way. But yes, sadly I would have to agree. Either way, I'm sure that his parents are still relieved to have their son safely back home and in their arms again. It's a tragic story, but also one that may now deter other young people from travelling there. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, and then said:

I found his dad to be odd too. I mean he seemed like a nice well spoken guy but he  seemed too nice and too well spoken and too willing to hold news conferences so quickly upon the return of his vegetated son. I'd be beyond furious and ready to smash the first camera that got in my face but this guy was making the rounds. Seen him on an earlier program before that press conference. Unless the guy is a public figure (is he?) I don't get it.

That said I share everybody else's sentiment. Don't go to freaking North Korea.

• Like 5

That's terrible. They beat him to death over a poster. Did Obama even try to help this guy?

• Like 4

Such terrible, heartbreaking news. I was really hoping for a miracle.

Otto Warmbier dies days after release from North Korean detention

Otto Warmbier, the University of Virginia student who was detained in North Korea for nearly a year and a half, died Monday afternoon, his parents announced.

Read more: The Washington Post

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, F3SS said:

That's terrible. They beat him to death over a poster. Did Obama even try to help this guy?

The big question is, should we even be helping people that willingly choose this path at all?  The price a country has to pay to get back  individuals like Otto isn't cheap and it would just encourage hostile countries to take even more "prisoners". 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The big question is, should we even be helping people that willingly choose this path at all?  The price a country has to pay to get back  individuals like Otto isn't cheap and it would just encourage hostile countries to take even more "prisoners". 

Yea I don't know. I mean anyone who goes there in the first place is plain stupid for it but he is/was an American and he didn't commit a high crime. Reasonable attempts should be made to get people like him back. 

• Like 2

Who knew breaking the law in an authoritarian nation as a citizen of its previewed enemy would result in torture?

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 3

When I was in college, we danced on top of Water Towers for fun. We couldn't borrow ourselves silly, taking trips to foreign lands.  

This kid's trip abroad reminds me of a scene from Constantine, where Keanu sees the other side and then grabs the little piece of paper flying around his head, on the way out.  

Big Mistake ...

So sad this young man has passed away, but still, a blessing. I heard on the news that his facial expression changed, that he knew he was back in the US with his family. I hope this is true. No one should be traveling to N Korea, and what this young man did shouldn't have ended the way it did. To a college kid, taking a poster isn't a big deal. To a N Korean, apparently it deserves torture. If you do go over there, keep this in mind.

RIP Otto. At least you made it home.

• Like 5

Even worse is we can't be 100% certain he even did anything. We have to take the NK's word for it. They say there's a grainy b&w video of someone grabbing a poster but the person is unidentifiable. He probably did that but it's still a terrible situation and what's done is done.

• Like 1

The British went to war when Jenkins ear was cut off, the War of Jenkins. Are you Americas just going to sit there and allow North Korea to kill one of your citizens. a health young man locked up for a petty crime and returns home brain damaged, and dies days later. The N.Koreans obviously didn't want him dying in their custody.

Do the world a favour and destroy North Korea. Its about time the US restored absolute domination in the World, your slipping guys, The USA could deploy forces when you wanted, assemble them where you wanted and operate how you wanted, that's, outer space, Land, Air and Sea, Undersea and cyberspace, now your being contested in outer space, air, sea, undersea, land and cyberspace.

Learn from us, we were contested, luckily for us and the world the USA took our place, whose going to replace the USA, China? Russia?

Edited by stevewinn

48 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The British went to war when Jenkins ear was cut off, the War of Jenkins. Are you Americas just going to sit there and allow North Korea to kill one of your citizens. a health young man locked up for a petty crime and returns home brain damaged, and dies days later. The N.Koreans obviously didn't want him dying in their custody.

Do the world a favour and destroy North Korea. Its about time the US restored absolute domination in the World, your slipping guys, The USA could deploy forces when you wanted, assemble them where you wanted and operate how you wanted, that's, outer space, Land, Air and Sea, Undersea and cyberspace, now your being contested in outer space, air, sea, undersea, land and cyberspace.

Learn from us, we were contested, luckily for us and the world the USA took our place, whose going to replace the USA, China? Russia?

I mostly agree Steve, and as far as I'm concerned, NK murdered this young man. It pains me to think what they must have done to him to have caused such terrible brain injury over a long period of 18 months. The thing is tho, if the US retaliates because of this, it may put the lives of other Westerner's there in jeopardy. Apparently there are a few other American's that are also being held there in jail. I think the US should try and get them out first. Then! bomb the hell out of them.   

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

If we were looking for a reason to attack NK then we would use this as a justification, like the British did with Mr. Jenkins. If Britain had not been looking for a reason IMO they never would have declared war over an ear.

• Like 1

american tourists end up dead or in prison basically all over the world, watch documentary Locked Up Abroad.

we have plenty of reasons to go to war with nk, we do not need this as an excuse, actually we officially still are since 50's.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Unusually, I am going to have to disagree with you over this one Steve. Tourists to North Korea are carefully monitored and told what they can or cannot do. The emphasis is on the tourist obeying the laws and social norms over there not thinking they are entitled to do whatever they want. If someone lacks the maturity to do that then why go on holiday to the country in the first place?

We ourselves get a handful of tourists every year who get the shock of their lives. Usually its drug smugglers getting caught and discovering the punishment is the death penalty. Why should we help out morons when they cannot help themselves? With this botulism guy he deserves this years Darwin Award not our sympathy or some kind of conflict over him.

He went on holiday to a country which deifies its leaders and wonders why he gets a severe punishment for stealing a poster. His actions to them are a form of deep disrespect.

Edited by RabidMongoose